Your Brain On Opiates

Posted: September 28, 2005, 10:03 AM
bump

--------------------
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take."

Posted: October 10, 2005, 8:39 AM
Bump

Posted: October 10, 2005, 1:36 PM
Thank you Tim for helping me to understand the process that the brain goes through as a part of addiction. I've been trying to find additional information on how opiates affect your body with long term use. Do you know of a website, book, or publication that I could read that will shed light on this subject? If it wasn't for the communication and experiences that I've stumbled accross on this site I would still feel hopeless in my journey to recovery. I don't even know how to begin. Opiates have a hold of me currently and its not, as mentioned, because this is what I want. I want out of this hell. I've been feeling so lonely and depressed that I haven't left my house for three days. I don't have many friends these days, and the ones that I have for the most part are users. I need help and I know it. Do you know of any resources available for people without medical insurance? I would like to thank you again for shedding light on such an important topic. I'm sure that I'm not the only one thats been helped some by reading it.
K

Posted: October 10, 2005, 2:39 PM
Lost-Addiction is also a disease of isolation.

NA/AA do not cost anything and they are available in most towns and cities.
Its an excellent place to start and you can go to a meeting even if you are not clean.
Look in the phone directory and look for a listing and call them.They will be more than glad to help you.
Information from books and websites are great way for you to start looking for information but will not replace human contact.
Two books that are quite informative..."Addictive Thinking" by Abraham J.Twerski,M.D. and "When Painkillers Become Dangerous" by Drew Pinski,M.D.

Narcotics Anonymous 24 hour Help Line....713-661-4200

Knowing is not enough.Recovery only comes through action.Staying isolated only will fuel the addiction.Good Luck

--------------------
user posted image

"Sometimes the biggest catch will bite you in the a**"

Posted: October 12, 2005, 4:54 PM
Tim,
I want your honest opinion, If a person stops using for good after using for 3 years and w/ in those three years he has used every opiate known to man, from percs to vics to oxi's to heroin and now on Methadone for the last year. Is it possible and how long before you can feel normal or is the word normal as what we know it to mean gone for ever. What is the amount of time of a user for that long need to feel sane again. Very curiose to these answers. I know after extended use that our brains have rearanged them selves but if we are off the drugs and they do become dormant will the appropriat amount of receptors remain open and will the brain start produceing the correct amount the body needs to live a life in which we smile laugh from the heart not because throogh the years we have learned something was funny and that is just what you do. In all reallity if this is not possible then the remaining part of my life will be spent going throught the motions of life w/ out living and I have to question is it worthed going through what we have to to get clean when the final result is chasing that happiness of normality for life and never feeling the same again. Answer this at best. I think your article was great and motivating at the same. And I do believe like you that I to had to go through this to get a new respedt on life and to appreciate it for what it is and not what I used to try to make it out to be. Tell me all and all is it possible to get clean and picked up to where you where before ever taking that first pill. I can execept almost being normal as long as alomost means smiling from the heart as I had mentioned earlier. Thanks for your insight and inteligence. Dont mind my spelling there is not a spell check on this thing and at this point in my life I am to lazy to do it my self, too many ohter things in life that need effort. I have to go get washed now so I can go be a slave to humanity, work! LOL.

Much Love,
Frank

Posted: October 12, 2005, 5:15 PM
Frank-
The bad news-Once you have crossed that line into opiate addiction,your brain will never be the same.It becomes a life long challenge to stay clean.Its not easy.The first year is really tough because these receptors in our brains are not dormant.They are screaming to be fed with something so dopamine can be released.This is commonly refered to as PAWS.post acute withdrawl symptoms.

The good news-Yes, you will smile again,love again,fear again,be angry and every other emotion you have clouded with a blanket of anesthesia.Its just not going to happen in your time.The days of quick fixes are over.Getting clean is going to take some real work on your part.12 step programs are free and allow you to develop a network of support.Physical exercise is the only way I know to start the endorphin machine that regulates mood.This will speed up the process of "feeling good" again.

Will you ever feel as good as a good shot of heroin? Probably not.Life isnt like that.I can honestly tell you that I have had some moments of elation I thought I would never have again.Im a surfer and a lot of those times were on my board.I dont walk around feeling like Mister Rogers.I have some real s***ty things happen,I get depressed,I get angry etc.Again, this is life.

Drugs are a lie.They promise and give you that illusory buzz but then they turn on you.You even stop getting high off them.They eventually will only keep you from getting sick.

There is hope Frank.I was snorting,shooting and eating a lot of oxys not to mention other drugs.Ive been clean since July 4th of 04.I went cold turkey.I wanted instant gratification too.I was really pissed that I wasnt feeling better right away.I finnaly said "F*ck It" and was going to give up and just kill myself.After I made that decison, the next day I started feeling better.

Hang in there dude,get off the sh*t and let your body heal.Dont have expectations.Trust the process.It will get better.

--------------------
user posted image

Posted: November 25, 2005, 11:24 AM
Bump for Red or any other wondering what the hell is going on

--------------------
user posted image

Posted: November 25, 2005, 11:27 AM
I missed the Mr. Rogers comment..LMAO You crack me up!

--------------------
Toodles,

If your not over the edge, you won't see the view

Posted: November 25, 2005, 4:15 PM
I want Brab to read this,Dude,just read the first page.

--------------------
user posted image

Posted: November 25, 2005, 11:56 PM
Hey ,
WOW what a GREAT post, just read the book called "The craving brain"...if you all liked this description, get the book ( NO IM NOT SELLING THEM MYSELF LOLOL) but anyay it is fascinating stuff, I dont dare getinto the other things in the book but it is all along the same lines, and explains WHY we crave, messages that the brain sends us for immediate gratification even since childbirth......and how to satisfy and fill those gates without your DOC.
Anyway great great post...where is Dante when you need him??Hed love it too....LOLOL

Great work, hope this thread can stick around for newcomers to read..

Hugs,
Ali

--------------------
GOD LOVES YOU JUST THE WAY YOU ARE.....................
BUT HE LOVES YOU TOO MUCH TO HAVE YOU STAY THAT WAY....

The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what we want most for what we want at the moment

There is no pleasure in life equal to that of the conquest of a vicious habit.

user posted image

Posted: November 29, 2005, 4:41 PM
bump for valley

Posted: November 30, 2005, 3:46 AM
this is by far the most informative information that I have found worthy of sending to my loved ones to give them a better insight as to what we are dealing with. thank you so much for taking the time to type that out in a way we all can understand. hope everyone is doing well, and better than yesterday. I got all my vitamins today and i'am so excited about starting my healthy new regimen . anyway goodnight to all, sleep well. sincerely, dana jo-

--------------------
[FONT=Impact][SIZE=7][COLOR=red]dana j. mills-whan

Posted: December 1, 2005, 2:49 AM
TIM,
I have re read your thread agian, which i love and am starting to realoly understand alot more...but..there seems to be that depressing thought about the gates always there indormancy, just waiting to be fed again...

Can you tell me this very important question: regrading TOLERANCE...if someone is on a narcotic for true severe pain but does not take for pleasure...however is on it for several years and does require more during that time due to tolerance......does that mean that the same thing is happening to their getting or making those extra sacs or gates for life?

My dr never told me this stuff, just said that the body would eventually learn to make its own endorphins again.....

Also, why then if these gates stay there waiting for drugs, do people die from being abstinent from theri DOC for say 6 months, and then relapse and take the old amount they once took, they then overdose????

Why is it that someone who quit taking pills went back on for surgery but could now only take 1 pill ( and it made her high and killed the pain ) when years before she was taking 6 at a time??????

Where does tolerance fit in??????

Im confused???? Do you know?

Ali

--------------------

The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what we want most for what we want at the moment

user posted image

Posted: December 2, 2005, 3:25 PM
Bumpity bump bump bump bump.

--------------------
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take."

Posted: December 7, 2005, 6:48 PM
bump for the people asking about the sub

Posted: December 7, 2005, 6:51 PM
jd,

good mmove...i was going to that eralier and forgot...lol

Hugs,

Ali

--------------------

user posted image

Posted: December 9, 2005, 12:23 PM
bump for my friend

Posted: December 10, 2005, 4:18 AM
Hi Ali.I dont have the answers to your quesions,Sorry.Im not a Dr, or an expert on addiction.I copied and pasted that artice ffrom another site because I thought it explained PAWS in laymans terms.I thought some people might get some help from it.However,I was pretty much put in my place over it so if you want some more information on it I would ask a Dr.who specialized in addiction.Im just a drug addict and my only experience with this is is living through it.It made perfect sense to me.
I havent taken any drugs in 15 months but if I were to eat an 80 mg oxy I would get off real good .After about the second day,I would need twice that much. Sorry about my typing but Ive got insomnia again and Im getting batty. I dont think a normal user of drugs would experience this..I think Im going to have one piece of pecan pie,with one scoop of Ice Cream.I think that my[ight put me to sleep.
Ask me in the morning how much my tolerance has increased?LOL ...I may be too ashamed.to answer.LOL

This post has been edited by Tim on December 10, 2005, 4:26 AM

--------------------
user posted image

Posted: January 19, 2006, 8:53 PM
bump for new people

Love,
Gina

Posted: January 19, 2006, 9:03 PM
Just wanted to add that I spoke to a very well respected Neurologist several weeks ago

He was bemused with the idea that that our brains are irrepairably damaged..he said that street drugs can cause that, but not prescribed narcotics..not even long term..

he said the gates close and do repair them selves, which is exactly why when people abstain from doing their DOC and then return to it, theycan OD very easily...they no longer have a high tolerance because their brain HAS repaired..our bodies are amazing, and if given a chance most times can heal itself..

He also told me never believe everything you read on the internet..lolol which i guess would include this..lolo but just wanted to share the info with others
like me who got scared at the 'irepairable harm done to our brains"

Hugs

Ali

This post has been edited by alicap on January 19, 2006, 9:05 PM

--------------------

user posted image
post replypost new topic