post replypost new topic
Mother Has An Alcohol Addiction

Posted: February 11, 2019, 1:51 PM
My mum has recently admitted that she has an alcohol problem and I'm not sure on where we go from here. She knows that she needs help and wants the help which is the most important aspect The only problem is that she does not want any outside help.

She keeps telling us that she "cannot do this" and we try to reassure her that she "can do this, maybe not right now".

Is there anybody else going through a similar situation? I know that the journey for each person is different and things that work for one person may not necessarily work for another.

I have decided to begin a blog of her progress which will allow me to reflect on the progress she has made and maybe someday show her, if she wanted, everything we have been through as a family.

Feel free to have a look at addictedparents.wixsite.com/alcohol. I will try to write this blog once per week and will cover issues other than those related to alcohol to give a better understanding of the situation at hand.

Posted: February 11, 2019, 9:10 PM
Hi Addicted Mother and welcome. I think the fact your mom has admitted she has a problem is really good and a big first step. I think your idea to keep a blog shows how supportive you are. I'm sure she feels overwhelmed right now having just admitting her addiction to alcohol in time I hope she gets the help she needs. Thank you for posting and I wish your mom and you all the best.

Posted: February 11, 2019, 11:21 PM
Hi - it sounds like your mum admitted her problem, but does not want outside help bc she does not want help. She should be writing the blog. don't do more work at her recovery than she is doing. easier to say than to do, as we want to be supportive cheer leaders. Give her a notebook to write just a few sentences each day so she can see her progress.

I have spent years thinking my son has been improving, just one more try, try this try that. He is still in the same boat, even with some improvements. He was doing very well when sober for 3 months, I can see as he relapsed I began doing more for him than he was doing for himself.

Go to alanon meetings in your a area if you have them. bring reading material home for your mum to read. give her a copy of the AA book. I think it is online. to read for free.

post replypost new topic