post replypost new topic
I Just Want To Quit For Good!
Brett

Posted: March 20, 2016, 2:01 AM
I have been smoking regularly (daily) for about 14 years with several breaks in between. I'm currently in a marriage that's on the brink of ruin because my wife does not trust me to quit, for good. The LAST thing I want is to have a marriage end over something as stupid as weed! We are seeing a marriage counselor and it was suggested i atend a meeting. She said AA, I don't have a alcohol problem, I have a weed problem. I have looked for MA meetings in my area but aren't any. Like I said I have quit several times but non longer than 6-8 months. How do I stay off the grass?!? My marriage hangs in the balance, help!!!
Mari

Posted: March 20, 2016, 6:40 PM
Have you considered NA instead of AA? NA covers all types of addiction (including alcohol) whereas AA tends to only want to focus on drinking. I'm a marijuana addict myself and am struggling to stop smoking.
jonathan

Posted: March 22, 2016, 6:41 AM
i am after been smoking weed from the age of 12 and now 17years of age i have had breaks from smoking weed but just keep going back for it this is becoming a problem because i really do want to just stop but cannot find anywhere to go is there anywhere does anyone know of ?

Posted: March 22, 2016, 7:31 AM

Millions of us attend AA & NA meetings.

The homepage of this website http://www.addictionrecoveryguide.org/ says:

"Peer group support systems like 12 step programs are critical for most."

All the best.

Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)

Posted: March 22, 2016, 9:05 AM
Brett, try hard. I'm sure you'll be able to quit smoking. My close friend did manage to quit smoking because his marriage also was in the same line as you're now.
Brett

Posted: March 23, 2016, 12:22 PM
Thank you for everyone's help and engurgement. Today I hope starts a new chapter. With strength and help I plan to make this the first day of a life without marijuana. I realize that it may not save my marriage but if it saves me from the depths of an amotivational life then I will have won. I will update on my progress and the state of my marriage in the following months. Thanks again.

Posted: March 23, 2016, 1:00 PM
And what program of recovery are you planning on utilizing ?

--------------------
Serenity Prayer

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

AA's HOW IT WORKS:

NA's HOW IT WORKS:

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Dry since 1989

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

Brett

Posted: March 24, 2016, 12:04 PM
I found an NA meeting close to home that I plan on attending. Along with that I am going to get involved in some activities that will hopefully fill the time in which I would use to get high.

Posted: March 26, 2016, 9:30 AM
Hi Brett,

I started pot at 19 and am almost 29 now.

Over the years I too have gotten myself in some really awkward and uncomfortable situations with my wife. I have lied to get high, found personal space to do it secretly... and I've been caught doing it all. Needless to say, I've also lost the trust my wife placed in me.

I feel so guilty when I get high, that I decide not to do it again, but the minute I start coming down, all I can think about is rolling another one.

I have quit smoking cigarettes after smoking for 5 years, I don't even have beer more than once a month, but this is a whole other problem. This morning I was smoking one in the shower and the smell gave me away. I threw the stash I had because I actually felt so small for not having enough control or integrity to speak the truth about it, but now I feel like I need to score some more.

For right now, I'm not getting stoned because I don't have access to it. I guess this is where we start, take it one day at a time. I'm going to involve myself with some physical activity to fill the time I spent getting high.

I'll be here very regularly to seek & offer support, advice and experience. I hope you come out of this addiction with ease.

Posted: March 26, 2016, 9:38 AM
I found the most important thing in my recovery was not support but "direction".

My best thinking kept me prisoner -
I had to get out of me and follow a proven path to recovery.

My previous "hit & miss" attempts were progressively killing me.

I knew I had a real problem when I was 20 yrs old and it took me to 45 yrs old to surrender
(surrender or die).

I found strength and direction in The 12 Steps of AA/NA (after I finally quit fighting).

I am gratefully recovering daily but it was not "with ease".
It was/is the hardest thing I have ever attempted. Don't kid yourself.

All the best.
Bob R

This post has been edited by Papa Bear on March 26, 2016, 9:40 AM

--------------------
Serenity Prayer

AA's HOW IT WORKS:

NA's HOW IT WORKS:

---Dry since 1989

--Richard Rohr

Posted: March 26, 2016, 9:52 AM
Hey Papa Bear,

I'm sure you know way more than I about this issue. Not trying to downplay the struggle that you and everyone on this forum has had to go through.

I'm going to check out the closest NA meeting here. I will post updates on my progress regularly.

Thanks for helping!
post replypost new topic