post replypost new topic
Has Tramadol Damaged My Brain?!

Posted: June 5, 2015, 1:21 PM

I have a strange question that i cant find the answer for. I took Tramadol/Zydol for around 7 months for back pain, ever since i stopped taking it i cannot get the effects of alcohol e.g the buzz, euphoria.

please note it is NOT a tolerance issue, i can drink and drink until im sick and not feel anything. (it was just to test how much i could drink/prove it wasnt tolerance)

i have been in abstinence from Tramadol for about a year now, im really worried im permanently damaged. any help or ideas why this is happening?

thank you
jan

Posted: July 4, 2015, 5:09 AM
I took tramadol as needed for a couple of yrs for knee injury, but I did take it as directed and only when I really needed to take it and I didn't feel it did anything to me nor did I feel any addiction to it. when I didn't need it anymore I stopped taking it without any problems. I don't drink much alcohol but if I do I will get a so called buzz so I cant say what is going on with you. I am sorry I cant be of more help to you I would suggest you consult with a professional with a question like that.

Posted: July 8, 2015, 8:57 AM
Hi Blake. Only thing I could think, Is that if you were getting some type of euphoria the 7 months you were taking the tramadol then maybe an alcohol buzz just doesn't come close in comparison anymore, and now you are always going to be chasing that high or rush you felt while on the tramadol. I know what tramadol is, and I know its not as strong as Percocet, but I kind of can relate (if this really is what you're going through) I'm a recovering addict with almost a year clean and when I was using heroin and other opiates and I would smoke weed, I would keep smoking more and more and I felt that I just couldn't get stoned no matter how much pot I smoked and I would always think that my pot dealers were ripping me off, but in reality it was really because I was comparing the weed high to a much higher high and completely different type of feeling... I know that opiates and marijuana is a very different euphoria, but so is the two things you described. It may be something to think about? Just a thought. Hope I could help! Take care

Posted: July 8, 2015, 1:41 PM
thanks for the reply, this is what my doctor said:

'Alcohol requires mu-opioid receptor for rewarding effects, You've hit the mu pretty hard with tramadol, and therefore have tolerance, not to alcohol per se but to anything that works through opiates. Kind of like desensitization in the reward centers. The effects should eventually mostly return when in absence though...i dont think you're permanently damaged'

post replypost new topic