post replypost new topic
I Can't Sleep Without It
Bad JuJu

Posted: October 22, 2017, 3:25 PM
I've been drinking a six pack -- or more -- of beer almost every night for years. I'm ready to cut it down to 1 night a week, but my problem is I have a hard time sleeping without it. Last week I had one sober night and didn't get a wink of sleep. And tonight it's going to be the same thing. My husband is going to lay down and be asleep within ten or fifteen minutes -- Lucky b****** -- while I lay awake for hours on end, thoughts racing through my head at the speed of light.

I know, I know, I'm supposed to try and relax. I'm supposed to just let my thoughts dissolve into darkness, let my problems float away into the abyss, but I just...CAN'T. Part of it is because my body is used to the alcohol. I know that. But insomnia runs in my family, too. My mother hasn't had a drink in twenty years and she STILL has sleepless nights. She told me my insomnia is going to get worse the older I get. I said, "Gee, thanks for telling me that. Here I am, ready to get sober, ready to live a clean, healthy life and you're saying my reward for that is going to be the inability to get enough rest at night? I'm thrilled." Anyway, I don't want to take any prescription pills if I can avoid it. I already take Benadryl, and that's all I really want.

Does anyone else here suffer from alcohol or non-alcohol related insomnia? And if so, what do you use to deal with it?

Posted: October 22, 2017, 8:18 PM
Hi Juju.. I know too well what it feels like to suffer from insomnia . I don't know if you are aware of the side effects of Benydral and its link to dementia.. might want to read up on the latest studies. I used to take many types of drugs to sleep..At the treatment center where I was treated for alcoholism I was also treated for dependency on sleep aids . There I learned that going to bed at the same time every night and getting up the same time every morning regardless of any sleep or not is the solution to getting a good nites sleep. It took me almost 6 months on a schedule before I began to sleep as normal as an insomniac can . I will never know how it feels to go to sleep and sleep all nite but I am grateful for the 6 or 7 hours that I do get on most nights now. This week has been a bummer for me regarding getting enough sleep but I Know it will pass . Avoid caffeine after mid day and listen to some calming music before retiring to bed or read a book .There are utube videos that has a calming effect on the brain Alcohol creates anxiety and although it seems it helps it really is a depressant which causes anxiety and depression. I hope you will post again as I am interested and I care.

--------------------
Thank God for what you have. Trust God for what you need
post replypost new topic