post replypost new topic
Never Thought I’d Be Here,

Posted: October 9, 2017, 1:41 AM
Last year I was in a terrible car accident. I made it through but it awakened back injury’s from the past. I couldn’t take the pain on my own anymore and scheduled with a highly recommended Spine doctor to get shots into my lower 3 disk. I’d had this done before and lived relatively pain free after.

This time, after the MRI’s and all the involved stuff something went terribly wrong. About 24 hours after receiving the injections I went into a tailspin of pain that I cannot describe, never did I think I could reach such a threshold.

For the last 7 months I’ve been to a pain clinic where I’ve been given Percocet 10/325 on a monthly prescription. I average 3 a day, 1 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon and 1 at night. I don’t use any other drugs and am a very light drinker, maybe 4-5 beers on Saturday when I’m doing stuff around the house, that’s it.

I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t want to take this stuff anymore, I’m pretty sure I can tuff it out and live without the medication.

Saturday night I gave my wife the bottle and said only if I beg you. I woke this morning feeling Ok, by 3ish the withdraw started, hot, cold and lots of pain in my joints, feels
Ike lighting bolts shooting thru my body. At 9 tonight I couldn’t take it anymore, woke my wife and asked for the bottle back.

So it looks like I have a problem, the plan is to make it until this Thursday night taking the least amount possible then giving the bottle back to my wife and spend the weekend kicking this stuff.

I imagine by the time I get home Friday it’s going to start again, is Saturday and Sunday, a total of three days enough to kick the extreme physical portion of the addiction ?

Thank youfor any help.

Posted: October 9, 2017, 8:49 PM
I'm not qualified to coach you thru withdrawal. my son has been on the addiction roller coaster for the past 3-4 yrs. From what I have read, on the internet and on this message board, the slowest taper is best for least amount of withdrawal symptoms. Take the least amount and note the times you need to take them, gradually wait a little longer. then each week, cut a one dose in half, and so on. a steady taper can take weeks or months. While you are doing the taper start including alternative medicines, therapies, over the counter meds as needed. Hot or cold pac on back, which ever works for you. Yoga or stretching or exercises to relax and stretch and gradually strengthen muscles. Hot pacs to relax muscles. Massage 2x a month and then once a month, maybe alternate with chiropractic. Naturopath to help with supplements and to help w pain relief Look thru the boards here to find lists of supplements to take while withdrawing. Multi vitamins, vit C and B complex. Exercise even if it is walking in place for 20 minutes. Hot tub. Instead of blocking the pain, your goal should be in getting your spine to correctly align itself. This takes time and seeing the right alternative therapists. you may need to switch from one to another. I have heard that rolfing can achieve this. you need a life style change to keep your spine healthy for the next 30-50 years without pain meds.

Let us know what works, to help others going thru this.

Posted: October 9, 2017, 10:43 PM
Thank you for the advice NTF, it’s much appreciated :). I will try to keep some of that in mind. Unfortunately for me it’s far to late to save my back issues, I’m being told that I need surgery and after that round of shots I’m scared to death to let anyone touch me again period.

I don’t think I’m capable of going thru that level of pain again...ever. It’s just not a chance I’m willing to take again, no way in hell.

I’m in my mid 50’s, I’d much rather use my own mental strength to push thru the pain when it’s bad and accept that I can deal on my own.

Today I took one when I woke and broke one in 1/2 and used it at 12 then 4pm. So down to 2 today. I’m going to try this taper method with Thursday night being the last dose. The plan is to make it thru the Friday workday, go straight home and suffer the withdrawals over the weekend.

I’m pretty strong willed so I think I can break the chain of want versus need. One thing for sure I wasn’t expecting the body aches to be so bad. I think I see lots of eating and excederin, sleep coming. We shall see.

I’ve been reading many threads here and I never really understood the withdrawal until now, reading the amount of pain medication some people use is downright mind blowing. Those of you that have pushed thru my hearts out to you, you’re truly amazing because I see how hard it is now and I’m not even close to that kind of use. God bless all of you that have and all of you that are trying.

I can’t wait to get back on the other side, even with the pain and just me me again.

I’ll update as the weekend goes, and I’m sure at times will ask for some strength and words of encouragement.

Posted: October 14, 2017, 9:49 PM
The body pain is coming on pretty strong now, going to take 2 excedrin. The urge to take a few pills and end this is really really strong. It’s going to be a rough night.

Posted: October 27, 2017, 1:10 PM
First post I’ve ever made but hope it helps. I have taken hydro 10/325 for several years for deg disks in back. 3-4 a day became 6-8. I refuse to take anything stronger because I knew that would be unstoppable path. That said, 2 years ago I had kidney stone, was given Percocet for few days. To make long story short, I had put them in an aspirin bottle in my hunting bag. Last month I took a few aspirin while at the camp. I had no idea there was a Percocet still mixed in. Well, I go back to pain Mgmnt dr and that aspirin/not aspirin was taken 1 day before my precious appt in which I was piss tested. Talk about completely shocked! It took 3 days to even figure out how the hell that happened. They gave me 1/2 my monthly dose and said that’s to help me taper off. I actually think it’s a blessing! I’ve been thinking about getting off this crap anyway. I talked to some folks and did some research and decided to go buy some bottles of Maeng Da Kratom from local vitamin/smoke shop. First day I took half hydros instead of whole. Then I went down 1/2 pill per day for a couple days. Being impatient as I am I decided to start taking Kratom capsules (about 5) every time I would normally take hydros and any. Time I started feeling nervous, hot/cold streaks, restless leg, etc. I swear to you, I haven’t really even craved the hydro, I haven’t taken any, and I have 100 of them sitting in my console of my truck!! I don’t know if it works for everyone, but that Kratom stuff is miracle worker for me!
post replypost new topic