< prev  post replypost new topic
Food Addiction?
Connie

Posted: December 16, 2008, 5:18 PM
I relate. My worst food addiction is sugar because once I start eating it, I find it very hard to stop. I probably eat more carbs and sugar than anuthing else. Just the other night I ate way too much, I had too much ice cream and ended up throwing it all up. gross. I feel so much better when I eat right, it's just that I often feel powerless to do so.

Posted: January 10, 2009, 10:11 AM
I used to attend Overeaters Anonymous meetings & I knew I was addicted to sugar but someone talked about being addicted to flour - oh yes, I certainly am. I fell off the wagon during the holidays & this month because of my birthday (birthday cake - LOVE that buttercream icing - it's soooo deadly though) - trying to get back on the wagon. I've kept 10 lbs off & people that hadn't seen me for awhile said I look thinner so that was a motivation for me.

How's everyone else doing?

--------------------
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

I am a recovering codependent, and mother of a recently relapsed drug and alcohol addicted (20 year addiction) adult daughter.

Thinking we are in control of anything or anyone else but ourselves is an illusion. And actually we have very little control over what happens to us as well. What will happen will happen. So let go & let God. This is my path to serenity. What happens if we just let go of what we "think" we are controlling? The world keeps on turning and life goes on. I trust that the Lord Jesus will bring me through what He brings me to.

Take what you need & leave the rest.

I sometimes have bad days. That's ok, I used to have bad years.

The Serenity Prayer:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Jesus loves us.

LAFFStore

Posted: January 26, 2009, 3:54 PM
Hi, MARINA here ! As a 50 year old mother of three children who is a self proclaimed "food-a-holic" and has lost 100 POUNDS writing music for the health & fitness communities to motivate and inspire...here is a free song "by me" for you.

Enjoy and as always...

Never Stop Movin'!

M

<Posting links to commercial sites is prohibited. Please refrain from doing so. Thank you.

The Mods>

This post has been edited by moderator on January 27, 2009, 6:00 PM

Posted: February 1, 2009, 11:55 PM
Hi, everyone

Anyone know which diet is good for the mid section? I have really put on inches there.....but no recent weight gain although I have been about 30 lbs. overweight for years. I think it's the stress. I'm not an overeater and I don't eat white bread and rarely eat pasta, white rice, and beef. I do enjoy my sweets though so I don't bake and try to limit what comes in the house. Problem is the other two adults (who also say they want to lose weight) bring the junk in if I don't! I can't win!!! lol I am going to try to exercise more....gotta make time for it!

How are you all doing?

By the way, I hit the "Other Addictions" button by accident....yeah right....nothing happens by accident. Think God was trying to tell me something? lol

Love,
Susan

This post has been edited by devangreb2 on February 1, 2009, 11:56 PM

--------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attributed)

"If you think you are too small to make a difference, you have never been in bed with a mosquito." Anita Roddick

Posted: February 15, 2009, 2:30 PM
Hi Susan,
I just saw your post. I have the same problem with the other 2 in the house (skinny) having all this junk in the house. I try to make them keep it in their rooms!

I don't think you can lose weight or inches in just one area. It kinda has to be all over. At least that's what I've heard.

I keep gaining & losing the same 5 lbs. I still have about 30 lbs to go but have kept off 15 so that's quite an accomplishment for me.

Starting with Christmas & going on through Easter are very difficult for me because of my addiction to white flour & sugar. Christmas, my birthday, Valentines Day, then Easter. I walk in the grocery store & there are goodies (or should I say baddies) for every occasion! I just got back from the grocery store & didn't buy anything bad so I hope I have a good week. I've been kinda bad the past few days.

--------------------
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

I am a recovering codependent, and mother of a recently relapsed drug and alcohol addicted (20 year addiction) adult daughter.

Thinking we are in control of anything or anyone else but ourselves is an illusion. And actually we have very little control over what happens to us as well. What will happen will happen. So let go & let God. This is my path to serenity. What happens if we just let go of what we "think" we are controlling? The world keeps on turning and life goes on. I trust that the Lord Jesus will bring me through what He brings me to.

The Serenity Prayer:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Jesus loves us.

LAFFStore

Posted: February 18, 2009, 8:03 PM
Splenda is the chemical from hell.

I just figured out that eating Mentos with splenda (my only source of splenda) is what has been causing me acute gastro distress, severe cramping, diahreah, gas, bloating, etc.

Food addicts beware!

--------------------

The Serenity Prayer:

Jesus loves us.

LAFFStore

Posted: March 6, 2009, 12:39 AM
Yep, Splenda will do that! Another thing I read is that is confuses your body and affects how it deals with sugar. It kind of made sense to me. I don't use it as much.

Usually for Lent I give up sweets (candy, cake, pies, etc.) but I usually end of craving them so much that I eat other things trying to satisfy that "need". This Lent I'm allowing myself one average size sweet treat per day. I know many said that the sacrafice thing isn't as important as the change thing, but for me it makes Lent more real to me because it affects me physically. I know it is an area of my life that needs more control too.

I'm not doing as well on the exercising as I'd like. Gotta work on that!

Love,
Susan

This post has been edited by devangreb2 on March 6, 2009, 12:42 AM

--------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attributed)

"If you think you are too small to make a difference, you have never been in bed with a mosquito." Anita Roddick

Posted: October 23, 2009, 2:56 PM
Actually that is also my problem. I'm addicted to food especially when I'm depressed or sad. I don't know why? But I feel lighter and relieve after i eat, especially chocolates. So, my friends knew when I'm going through things because i gain weight.

--------------------
AllergyBuyersClub deals

Posted: November 4, 2009, 2:32 AM
I think we all can be addicted to food. Especially when it's so delicious! But we have to control ourselves. Because not all delicious food are healthy.

--------------------
eVitamins promo

Posted: November 5, 2009, 4:15 PM
I'm such an addict. I quit shooting heroin several months ago and I've gained thirty five pounds. I get up and stuff myself on peanut butter on ritz crackers with milk most every night. Now most of my clothes don't fit. This sucks. I have a funeral to attend tomorrow and my good black suit dosen't fit...

I've been drinking a twelve pack of diet coke (caffeine free in the evening) every day for fifteen years. I figured since it was diet, it was ok. But I guess the acid in it has ruined my teeth. I lose about one a month lately. Only a few molars left and my front teeth. They just break off at the gum line. I'll have to get dentures or implants as soon as I can afford it. I honestly NEVER drink water. I go months without a drink of water. All my fluids come from diet coke. (it's 98% water, I tell people)

I know the food thing is just a replacement for opiates. I've gone on a strict Atkins diet twice in the past and lost fifty pounds in four months both times.
I guess it's time to do it again.
I've got the gambling under control, I think.
Do I sound like a mess? I don't feel like I am.
M

--------------------
Pain is inevitable in life; suffering is optional.

Some people change when they see the light, others when they feel the heat.

Posted: November 21, 2009, 9:42 AM
Diet coke is deadly & full of chemicals. I love diet coke too & my excuse for drinking it instead of water is that I like the carbonation. I have cut back to none or just 1 or 2 diet cokes a day & now drink mostly So Clear flavored carbonated water. I get it at Walmart. It gives me the carbonation I want & gives me the water I need. Sometimes I'll buy the lime flavor & squirt some real lime juice in it.

I've lost a total of 25 lbs since I started posting on this thread. It came off VERY slow, maybe a few lbs a month, because with the exception of eating sweets (which I rarely do now) & practically eliminating mayo, I haven't changed my diet. All I did was watch my portion sizes by reading labels & not eat after 5 or 6 pm at night. I thought I was doing good by eating a bowl of high fiber cereal at 100 calories -- come to find out my "bowl" was actually 3 serving sizes & I was getting 3 times that many calories! So label reading for portion size became a must for me. I also exercised in the pool almost every day, all summer. I'm fortunate that I love vegetables so I eat alot of steamed veggies. I use PAM spray on them & salt substitute. I also make sure to have lots of readily available low calorie foods that I can grab & eat, like hardboiled or devilled eggs (made with mostly mustard), little tomatoes, etc.

I'm very proud of myself & feel so much lighter & better. I'd like to lose about 15 more & probably will achieve that goal by spring.

--------------------

The Serenity Prayer:

Jesus loves us.

LAFFStore
Fleur

Posted: January 20, 2010, 9:46 AM
I have been reading the posts here for quite awhile and I relate to so many of you who are addicted to food. Lightacandle, i truly enjoy reading you and congratulations on all the weight you have lost.

I have had problems with my weight all my life. I was chubby when I was young and then in my teens, i started dieting which led to anorexia. I went from 125 pounds to 63 pounds. My goal was to reach 60 pounds. Yes, i almost died from starvation. I got professional help and went to eating disorder clinics. Today, i am 51 years old and I am still struggling with my weight. I am only 5 feet 2 inches tall and weight 131 pounds. I have lost about 10 pounds since last September, but everyday is such a struggle especially since i quit smoking pot a year ago. I gained alot of weight over the last year but since last September, i am determined to get back to my original weight of 125 pounds.

The problem however is that i just can't seem to lose another single pound! I watch what I eat and i go to yoga and pilates three times a week, and nothing comes off. I am so discouraged.
Is there anyone else here who is in the same situation as me? I drink lots of water everyday, i stay away from junk food, i watch what i eat, and still, the scales keep showing 131 pounds! I am going on a trip in two months and i am soooooooo worried i will gain back every pound i have worked so hard to lose what i have lost so far! I know i will be very careful about what i will eat when i am on holidays, but i just don't want the constant worry of watching my weight ruin my trip.

Any suggestions on dealing with my situation would be appreciated.

Have a nice and beautiful day everybody.
post replypost new topic