post replypost new topic
Heroin Success?

Posted: December 30, 2014, 9:20 PM
Anyone have any success stories about heroin? Every time I read something about heroin it's always something upsetting like relapsing, too much of an addiction, getting kicked out, overdosing, etc. Is it actually possible to recover and stay clean from heroin?

Posted: December 31, 2014, 1:17 AM
There are many who are recovering not only from heroin but from many other abused drugs. Heroin may be the drug of choice but an addict will find anything to abuse. The only addicts/alcoholics I know with significant long term clean time are those who attend and work the 12 step programs. Judge Mathis recommends them to addicts too.

This post has been edited by dawn4na on December 31, 2014, 1:18 AM

--------------------
[FONT=Arial]I am an addict. I can not use any mind or mood altering chemicals successfully.[COLOR=purple]

Posted: December 31, 2014, 9:18 AM

staystrong19:

If you attended AA & NA meetings in your area you would meet hundreds of people with years/decades of sober/clean time from every DOC you can name.
The 12 Steps covers them all.

Fr Paul Charbonneau ran the Brentwood recovery home when I was there in 1989 and he tells it like it is in this short clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBUd7289TTI

We can recover if we "suit up and show up" for it.

All the best.

Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)

Posted: December 31, 2014, 3:43 PM
I agree with the above posts.

I am personally familiar with dozens of success stories regarding addiction to heroin, as well as other opiates, meth, and alcohol.

The program of recovery works for those who want it and work the program. AA and NA meetings are full of people who found a better way to live.

Treatment is a good start, followed by meetings, getting a sponsor, service work, more meetings, learning the literature and slogans, etc. Some people decide to live in sober-living homes especially during the first year of sobriery.

If relapse occures, then repeat the process. Over time, those people who stick to the program will make it.

Those who decide they can do it without a program usually do not make it. They come up with a dumb plan - try it on their own, etc.. The AA and NA literature focuses on this as part of the 1st step.

Life is good without drugs. It works if you work it.

-Fly
Codependent
Recoverying addict (9 years sober tomorrow).

Posted: December 31, 2014, 4:01 PM
Congrats on 9 yrs !!

Bob

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)

Posted: December 31, 2014, 9:36 PM
Congratulations on 9 years!!! That's so awesome! And thank you to everyone who responded!

Posted: January 1, 2015, 7:56 PM
I'm in need of some advice for my son's heroin addiction. He keeps saying is ready to go to detox,so I have gone above and beyond searching every detox/recovery place that his insurance will provide for, and I know that he needs a dual diagnosis program,so I have narrowed it down to two different places and was hoping someone could guide me to the better facility... Hopefully from experience. I'm looking at white deer run in Allenwood and bowling green in Kennet Square. If you have any options on either one I would love to hear them.

Posted: January 1, 2015, 8:34 PM
lovingmyson,

I know someone who attended white deer run, but not the allenwood location, from what I know, the counselors are very nice and they definitely learned a lot from being there. They follow the 12 step program. They improved a lot within the time being. But make sure you research and talk to someone at each facility. This will help you get a better feel for the facility that is right for your son. Good luck!

Posted: January 2, 2015, 3:23 PM
My daughter attended Bowling Green in Kennett Square but like most places it is governed by the insurance company. Our insurance company only covered 15 days and then they transitioned her to out patient. We agreed to pay out of pocket to keep her there longer but once she was told by her counselor she could "graduate" successfully from the program in 15 days that is all she needed and wanted to leave as soon as she could. So, she did not leave against Medical advice they said she was good to go but there was no way she was ready. Out patient was a joke and we were not too pleased with the counseling she received there. Plus she was offered drugs twice while in detox by another patient, I would not recommend it.
post replypost new topic