post replypost new topic
Quitting
Mark C.

Posted: March 19, 2014, 2:33 PM
Hi, My name is Mark. I was an opiate addict for 12 years. In April of 2005, I decided to quit. Thank God there was a program called Community Bridges ( Mesa, Az.). I did a 7 day detox which included suboxone/subutek. It took me nine years to finally be free of the withdrawal drugs. The last few years, the doctor switched me to buprenorphine. Same as suboxone, without the naloxone, which is primarily for alcohol abuse. I could not quit cold turkey. So over this period, I weaned down from 16 milligrams a day to two a day. Once I went cold turkey, the doctor gave me an anti-anxiety medication along with a sleep aid. The withdrawal was not nearly as bad as my first detox. Hot flashes, mild anxiety, insomnia to some point. Lasted 8 to 10 days. The crux of all this is: If I can do it, so can all of you. We are all different and timing is different for everybody. I am a wuss and should have done it faster. Hope this helps anyone who is addicted or trying to get off this crap. Please reply with any questions or suggestions you may have. We can all help each other. I am a RECOVERED addict, not a recovering addict. It is proven that the old 12 step method is not the best route for everyone. I say "whatever works". Thanks for listening, Mark

Posted: March 21, 2014, 9:06 PM
Congrats to you. I was on suboxone for two years at one time and went cold turkey. Stayd sick for over two months and finaly gave up and went back on the methadone. Im hoping to get off of that by subtracting a couple milligrams a month. Slow is the way to go for me. Congrats again to u though.
emmzibobs

Posted: April 15, 2014, 2:00 AM

heh mark
stumbled across this post after doing the night shift and needing some desperate words of wisdom.. glad i found your blog..sooo ive been heroin free since 2008. been on subys since 2009 and i have always hated the fact that when you wana go somewhere, holidays mates whatever the first thought has to be "is a there a chemist within walking distance,or i need to sort my script out if im stayin at yours"..
i moved from manchester down to norfolk 2 weeks ago(my mum lives down this end) and i didnt want to start my new life dependent so i weaned myself down to literally dust and here we go... it began about 9 last night n i didnt sleep hardly atall. i dont have any sleep aid or lofexodine so im starting to freak a little thinking OMG what have i let my self in for...i ran a hot bath at like 3 am just to try n soak my broken body(now i am feeling sorry for myself) n i feel pretty s***ty..how long will this last oh wise one??!! help on a post card... thanks :( My Webpage

Determined

Posted: May 3, 2014, 8:19 AM
Hi. This is my first time posting, but I need some help, and Mark, your post
"spoke to me". I have been taking subs for about 8 years, and have been weaning myself off for the last 4 months. Down from 12mg to 1 and a half, and today am going down to 1. I am scared of the mental part mostly. I am an educated professional and a parent of two elementary school age children, and cannot be sick or crazed with anxiety!
I am hoping talking with others online will help me through this, my goal is to quit totally sometime this summer, hopefully by July.
Any advice, words of wisdom, encouragement out there??

ps. this was not prescribed for me; I made the stupid choice of taking someone elses prescription during a stressful time in my life. Also, this is not the first time I
ve detoxed off of opiates...will I ever learn?????
pss. Since I am on a pretty low dose now, I am happy to feel I have my
"soul" back, feeling more joy as well as pain and feel my motivation returning for things I'd lost interest in. Anyone else have this experience?
THANK YOU!
post replypost new topic