post replypost new topic
Abusing Methadone
Janet

Posted: February 27, 2017, 5:02 PM
I'm just looking for advice about how to help someone when they abuse their methadone. They are in program that doesn't seem to be helping at all. Will go for a while taking the methadone correctly and then start taking more and more. Taking two days worth at one time and buying it on the street to have more. Is this something that should be reported to the doctor where they get the medication? I know the program is supposed to be helpful but it seems like it's keeping this person suck in the cycle of addiction with no real way out. At the same time it's up to them to be honest and that doesn't ever happen. The thoughts of overdose for me are scary so I feel I shouldn't keep the secret but it's also none of my business so do I just walk away and hope for the best for them?

Posted: February 28, 2017, 3:55 PM
I'm sorry that you are finding yourself in such a tough situation! I'm sure others will jump on with some good advice, but for now you are stuck with me! :)

I am an addict in recovery and I am a methadone patient. I have not used ANY other drugs since I started the program over three years ago. I have found it to be vital to my recovery and after years of active addiction and losing it all, it has given me my life back.

Unfortunately, there are people who get on methadone programs who aren't really there to recover..some are just there to have a back up when the dope falls through or they do not have enough money to buy their drug of choice. Those who really want to get better though, not only take methadone, but also do counseling, support groups etc. Methadone is just a tool in the toolbox of recovery.

The problem with methadone is that it only for treatment of opioid addiction. It has no effect on other drugs such as cocaine, benzodiazepines such as Xanxa and Valium or methamphetamines. Methadone isn't meant to treat poly-substance abuse, so if the person on methadone has other drug addictions, it will not be effective for those substances. Of course, if it keeps them off of illicit opiates, that is great. Even if they continue to use other drugs, methadone provides a harm reduction benefit.

I personally believe that it is the person's responsibility to be honest with their doctor. Our addiction and recovery are our responsibility alone. Nothing you do or say will change us. If we want to use, we will use. We are the only one who change our behavior and it is up to us to find our way! I know it is hard as an onlooker (I'm sorry..you didn't mention if it was a family member or friend) to watch us destroy our lives, but it is always up to us.

Hopefully, this person is in a good program where they are aware of what is going on. Most clinics will not just toss you out of the program for using other substances. They understand that recovery is often a one step forward, five step backs proposition. The only thing that I have personally witnessed is people getting thrown off for multiple positive drug screens for benzo's, due to my clinics "no benzo" policy. Some clinics are more tolerant of benzo's than others, but methadone and benzo's used together is a dangerous combination. Most deaths due to methadone are due to it being mixed with benzo's.

Hopefully, this person will win the addiction battle...and a battle it is. Just remember that it is our own battle to fight!

Posted: February 28, 2017, 5:26 PM
Not your monkey. ..not your circus. .leave it alone...you meddle and you'll take both of you down. ..your friend is well aware of what they're doing. .using on top...raising your dose too high, selling your dose or cutting your dose down so low you can use... are all tricks of the trade....methadone only works if your ready to work with it. ..your friend isn't looking for clean time yet...if they were...they'd adjust and try to stabilize. ..

This post has been edited by constantine on February 28, 2017, 5:28 PM

Posted: February 28, 2017, 5:52 PM
@Con...You say what I mean in1/10th of the words! I have to learn how to make my point a little quicker! I'm gonna' take some writing technique classes from you!

Posted: March 3, 2017, 10:14 PM
My son is on methadone and he takes benzos or Zanax. He gets it from his doctor. I thought you can't get benzos or Zanax if you are on methadone. I told him he shouldn't be using a controlled substance if he's an addict. Are they controlled. My son told me the doctor don't ask so he don't tell them. I told him it's his responsibility to let the doctors know so they cal properly help him to manage his anxiety and panic attacks of his actions. So lost and afraid for my son. He slurres his words and can't light a cig without a stand up cat nap. What is that.?? Lord please help my son.

Posted: March 4, 2017, 10:13 AM
I am convinced that the side effects of the drugs they do, create anxiety, and racing thoughts and sleeplessness and pain. so they think they have something wrong and they go in search for the other drugs - to sleep and stop the thoughts and stop the pain - so they can function.
Logic says stop doing the initial drugs, then you wont need all the other drugs for the side effects.
The nature of these drugs is that they create the symptoms they also prevent. they dup the person into thinking their not normal and they need these drugs. maybe these drugs were created to be used temporarily, not meant for long term use.... and of course not meant for abusing - taking too much..

This post has been edited by NyToFlorida on March 4, 2017, 10:14 AM
post replypost new topic