post replypost new topic
In Search Of Sleep

Posted: February 9, 2018, 1:13 AM
I am on here, reading posts, to try to find some semblance of sanity, so I can go to sleep. I went by the skate park, and saw my son yesterday. He is almost 30, and hangs out at the skate park with teenagers. He has been kicked out of the homeless shelters. he said he is sleeping at the skate park, and pointed out his blankets to me. He was hungry, so I drove him to a fast food restaurant, and got him some food. I took him back to the skate park. he smells so bad, and knows it. He said he can't apply for a job right now because he hasn't had a shower for two weeks. I suggested he shower at the homeless shelter, and he brushed that off. I wasn't going to bring him home to shower, my kids (his kids that I adopted) would be so upset to see him this way. They are so young (under 6).

Last night I tried to go to sleep, and all I can see when I close my eyes, is him, sleeping in a skate park, with an old wool blanket. It breaks my heart, and tears out my soul. Now I'm trying to unwind enough to go to sleep, but the images in my head make it hard to sleep.

I appreciate reading everyone else's posts and responses. It helps to know I'm not alone in this battle. But it is such a difficult battle we are all facing. I always try to find the positive, but what is the positive outcome of loving an addict? of watching your child sucked down the drain of addiction?

Thank you all for your words of wisdom, and support,
Sombra

Posted: February 9, 2018, 10:28 AM
Sombra==

I know exactly what you are feeling and it tears out my heart! My son is 47 and even after 6 months no contact things haven't changed at all. He has been at least respectful and not cussing at me on the phone, but yesterday he said he is living in the woods and was out looking for water???? He said he hasn't eaten in a week or showered???? He has two chihuahuas and I wondered how he can care for them when he is so destitute!

I am always telling him go to a homeless shelter or salvation army, but he can't with the dogs and refuses to take them to the humane society, even if it is a no kill shelter. That is basically all we can do for him because he lives almost two hours away and frankly ,I don't want to see him in this shape. I wouldn't be able to stay strong and it would tear out my heart even more if that is possible!

There just seems like there is no right answer for his situation or for me! I just have to let go and put my "heartache" in a compartment in my brain. I can't let it consume me or I will not be of any good to the rest of my family!

Stay strong and know that I feel your pain-- as do most on here!

(((HUGS))) Lori

Posted: February 9, 2018, 11:08 AM
There are day shelters that have showers, free clothes, laundry, and lunch in some places. Maybe you could take him there. It is a one day solution but he could clean up. Sometimes they have social services counselors that might offer advice. It is heartbreaking to see them that way but I guess you can be thankful he is staying at the skate park. There are probably worse parts of town.

--------------------
BUGS
post replypost new topic