post replypost new topic
Has Opiate Use Permanently Ruined My Enjoyment Of

Posted: May 27, 2015, 7:21 AM
Has Opiate use permanently ruined my enjoyment of alcohol?!

Hi there,

I have a strange question that i cant find the answer for. I took Tramadol/Zydol for around 7 months for back pain, ever since i stopped taking it i cannot get the effects of alcohol e.g the buzz, euphoria.

please note it is NOT a tolerance issue, i can drink and drink until im sick and not feel anything. (it was just to test how much i could drink/prove it wasnt tolerance)

i have been in abstinence from Tramadol for about a year now, im really worried im permanently damaged. any help or ideas why this is happening?

thank you

Posted: June 23, 2015, 2:38 AM
Not sure, i know im 10wks opiate free and i cant drink. 2-3 drinks and i just feel crappy and then have trouble sleeping and feel worse the next day. I do feel yuck anyway, i could drink while taking oxycontin, i could even drink whilst in benzo withdrawal, but aside from not feeling like alcohol, if i have any now during paws, i just feel terrible

Posted: June 23, 2015, 4:23 AM
I couldn't touch alcohol when I was on opiates, same, same, just made me feel sick and then low the next day. I never was a big drinker, but 3 weeksafter cold turkey (yesterday) I sipped a small shot of hard liquor and felt it straight away. That's all I had though, and it was 70 or 80 percent.

Maybe it's different because tramadol is a synthetic opiate, but yeah, I wouldn't have a clue really.

--------------------
'considerate people don't trash bars'
Jost Sauer - Rebels Guide to Recovery

Posted: June 23, 2015, 4:38 AM
Im like 9-10 weeks off oxycontin and i dont even enjoy alcohol at the moment. 2-3 drinks and i feel yuck, then i get tired. Im not and never been a big drinker but gee id love to be able to get drunk, listen to some music, wake up a bit seedy but know why im sick. Atm at around 10wks, i wake up feeling very tired, flat, unmotivated, its frustrating when tdying to make ur life better, weeks turn into months and your left wondering if ever youll return to your former self. Having a job, and family, i dont know if i could cop this miserable , empty state for another 2 months

Posted: June 23, 2015, 4:42 AM
Hi Blake,

Whilst I am not a medical professional I would find it odd that you would not experience the effects of alcohol eventually after drinking.

However, every single person on this planet is different and sometimes these things can be complex issues.

Perhaps consider your circumstances, you aren't on any other medications at present they may affect the consumption of alcohol? Are you trying the same type of alcohol and not feeling any effects.

I am about 5 months clean from opiate use (codeine) and I do feel the effects of alcohol like I use to before I became addicted to opiate painkillers. Codeine (morphine derivative) is different to Tramadol however, as technically - Tramadol is not structurally considered an opiate in the pharmacological sense.

I think a good step would be to talk to your doctor, just to see whether they may be able to advise you further.

As Always - Stay Strong, Stay Calm, Stay Vigilant!

Cheers,
Cam

Posted: June 23, 2015, 4:59 AM
I guess a safe option would be to just avoid alcohol for the mean time. Our brains are trying to reboot and rebuild, i cant imagine the addition of any other drugs including alcohol would benefit in this area. Id say wait a week or 2 then try a small amount again, for me tho, i know i dont feel right at the moment, so im just going to give drinking a miss until paws eases and i start to feel normal again. Health first, we have the rest of our lives to have a drink

Posted: June 23, 2015, 8:53 AM

A lot of folks think that when they get clean/sober the trouble is over.

For many (like myself) the trouble was just beginning.....

I was left with my past; my thoughts, my feelings, my guilts & shames, my emotions etc,
a big hole in my soul, and I had nothing to medicate them with anymore.
Nowhere to run .......

I realized I was a garden variety alcoholic/addict as described in AA's HOW IT WORKS
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10..._howitworks.pdf
and I had better "get with the program" or I was going to die.
Many here know what I am talking about.
Many here haven't hit bottom YET and think they can still do it themselves. Time will tell.

I had to begin to change and that was the last thing I wanted to do or thought I could do.

I needed HELP !!

I found that help in The 12 Steps of AA/NA in 1989.
AA/NA saves millions "one day at a time" every day.
It may be just what you need.

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)

Posted: June 26, 2015, 3:09 PM
hey thanks for all the replies guys.

im on no other medications. ive been off tramadol for 14 months now.

it does not matter what type of alcohol or how much i drink. the only 'effects' i get are physical, e.g slurring speech and wobbly on my feet. people think im 'drunk' but mentally im all there, theres no buzz. if that makes sense.

i think what evers happened is permanent, and ill never enjoy a beer again :(

Posted: July 2, 2015, 11:00 AM
anyone else have this problem? or know whats happened to my brain? any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Posted: July 3, 2015, 4:42 AM
Hi Blake,

To be honest, I've never heard of this happening, not like I am some super expert, but it does seem odd/strange in my view.

The best place for you in my opinion would be to consult your doctor. You need to first determine whether there may be anything else going on medically that could be making this happen, or affecting you someway/somehow.

In the end, alcohol affects everyone differently as well. Perhaps you are experiencing the effects but they are no longer in alignment with what you expected or thought you would feel by having/consuming alcohol.

My best advice would be a full and comprehensive medical checkup, and to then go from there. Hope it works out.

As Always - Stay Strong, Stay Calm, Stay Vigilant!

Cheers,
Cam

Posted: July 3, 2015, 8:25 AM
thank you circa

just saw the doctor today, this is what he had to say:

'Alcohol requires mu-opioid receptor for rewarding effects, You've hit the mu pretty hard with tramadol, and therefore have tolerance, not to alcohol per se but to anything that works through opiates. Kind of like desensitization in the reward centers. The effects should eventually mostly return when in absence though...i dont think you're permanently damaged'

gives me some hope

Posted: July 3, 2015, 8:49 AM
Blake, do you think you are an alcoholic/addict ?

Do you think that normal folks wonder if their drug use has ruined their alcohol buzz ?

I know lots of folks who came to AA/NA when the drugs/booze quit "working" and they were left with no relief of their pain/discomfort (self medication)

Alcoholism/addiction is a progressive disease that eventually leads to death, insanity or institutionalization.

Please look at the question(s) you are asking and why you are asking them.
I think your doctor missed the point in his response to you.

All the best.

Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)

Posted: July 3, 2015, 8:57 AM
NO i am not an alcoholic

YOU are missing the point.

he gave a good detailed answer of whats happened to my brain

thanks.
post replypost new topic