< prev  next >  post replypost new topic
Has Anyone Successfully Stopped Taking Methadone?

Posted: April 9, 2016, 8:13 PM

Are you attending NA meetings?

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)
JohnnyCs

Posted: April 12, 2016, 9:50 PM
I just got off methadone. was doing few 30 oxy a day before. Came to relize it wasnt taking me anywhere in life and needed to move on. Took me 4 months or more to go little by little at a time but was worth it cause i felt minimal withdrawal when off. Only my sleep was scewed for 3-5 days cause of restless leg and arms but that stopped after a few days. Now I feel fine and can sleep fine a almost a week later. If you think u are or will be ready to get off start tapering down right away little by little untill below 5mgs and u can get off. I was at 60mg and went down 2 mg/week till i got to 20mg then did 1mg/week till below 5. Stayed at 3 for a whole week then got off at 3. I was a long process but worth the time and $ to not feel horrible and get off the right way. It can be done. It takes 3-6 months depending on where you are but it can be done. Just do it little at a time and let your body keep adjusting week to week and month to month. You will feel irritable at times just stop taper for 1 week or whatever is comfortable for you the continue the toper. Go slow as right for you and you will get off if u want it!! Good luck!! IT CAN BE DONE!!!
shan

Posted: May 4, 2016, 12:04 PM
. hi everybody good luck to all of you and have to take really strong person to admit addiction issues. is it good to have maintenance clinic in your area and I'm willing to do it down but I have severe chronic pain due to surgery anything going down a milligram here and there but I was told that once I hit a certain number it's going to get harder and harder and I'm really scared and I've been really sick some other health issues in my family is blaming Methadone for it I just want to know if it was ever going to get relief from this disease. does anybody know if I do it slow enough if I have a good chance of getting out of the clinic and not being sick? please I just want my life baxk
ron

Posted: May 11, 2016, 10:41 AM
I have been clean of heroin, 3 year, 4 month and have been clean of methadone nearly 8 months, I have started the gym and trying to keep myself busy. Anxiety and lack of sleep have been really bad, but it was time to get myself sorted out. Some days i dont want to get out of bed, im 32 years old and have wasted enough of my life using gear and living chaotic life. The doctor has me on a 2mg diazapam but i think its not helping any. Is there anyone out there who has been thru similar experiences and anyone who can give me some advice on medication that helps with mood and anxiety, iv tried anti depressants but gave them all up as they were making me worse. There is a good chance that i will be working soon and would like to try some sort of medication that will help me when im due to start work and having a bad day, this feeling is horrible when it comes on and when i start working, its hopefully gonna get better but i think that i may need some medication until i feel strong enough

Posted: May 12, 2016, 12:36 AM
Ron, first off congrats on your sobriety :) the anxiety and everything that goes along with it f***ing sucks!!! Yeah if you don't think the valium is helping, then exactly what's the point. Were you taking this only AFTER stopping methadone though? If so it may have been (helping) and you just didn't realize, you know what I mean? Guess I'm wondering how long you have been taking. When I got off methadone I was already on klonopins, so obviously did NOTHING. Was at 2mg went up to 3 and still nothing so went back to my regular dose at that point. A few months off I was prescribed ativan/quicker acting and did help. I knew if I kept taking I would just build tolerance so took very sporadically and still had overall anxiety anyway. I was EXTREMELY nervous to go back to work three months off, so I know how you feel. I don't know what you've been doing, think you said exercising. Are you getting out and keeping active? I think for us addicts too much time is the WORST. Plus just building that anticipation on getting back to work makes the anxiety THAT much worse. honestly as far as meds go I'm kind of anti-pharmaseutical right now. (Maybe hypocritical as I still am on a lowered dose of anxiety meds) but yeah I just don't feel right recommending anything in the way of that right now. though I will ALWAYS suggest 5htp, though may make you sleepy. Try to keep your brain busy...and try not to premeditate what may happen down the road far as work is concerned. You've had the strength to to this..so everything else is nothing. (Just KEEP telling yourself that, I do same for myself) -Mary

Posted: May 12, 2016, 1:16 PM
Thanks Mary. i am becoming the same about pharmas, I was using for over 5 years and stopped in prison, prob the best thing that could have happened to me actually. A good 2 years away getting sorted out. I have never been this clean for a long time so i was expecting anxiety. i am gonna have a chat with the doctor and see what he thinks, i have been offered sleeping tablets. there is no chance im gonna start down that road, as i started smoking weed and taking pills at school so it would not be a good idea. The 2mg diazapam isnt either. Things are getting better every day and there is no chance im gonna f*** it up after everything iv went thru getting off this crap. Iv been taking vitamins and pro biotic and like i said before going to the gym and keeping myself busy, iv got good friends around me who don't use, it sounds like the best thing is grim and bear it. thank for replying so quick

This post has been edited by robroy on May 12, 2016, 1:17 PM

Posted: May 12, 2016, 2:33 PM
roboy , hello, im in day 12 of this wonderful process of healing, i asked about pro biotics on another forum and no one said they used them, or knew anyone who tried them thru this, does it help for the stomach problems. thats really my only complaint, i had a big breakfast this morning and it just destroyed my stomach . for about a few hours, i just went and picked up some protein shakes , and on the anxiety front , ive dealt with it for years i talking 20 years , i was on all the meds from benzos to anti and none worked, i use a therapist now who teaches me ways to deal with it , so maybe thats a choice , i dont use any meds for it , i was so bad i wouldnt leave the house, and just a few days ago it came back in the middle of this , i was afraid to leave, for fear of getting sick out in public, she called cause i missed my appt , and we talked , and would you know the next day i left the house , went to my daughters daddys breakfast at her school, i refuse to be a prisoner of my mind. now dont get me wrong i still have bad days with it, but its short lived and if you take a moment and question it , and take away the what ifs, it will turn into i can , and i will. thats been my motto thru this , i started doubting myself at the begining, and it was fear. but fear can only control us if we let it. im by no means 100 percent , but someone told me once fake it , till you make it. and thats what i do , just did a whole grocery run today. just thought id give my two sense on anxiety .
Jessie

Posted: May 17, 2016, 3:26 AM
I wanted to share my story with you guys. (:
I was a heroin addict for 2 years. So I started going to a methadone clinic. My highest dose of methadone was 115 mg and that was when I started tapering down. I was going down 10 mg a week until I hit 35 mg. and once I hit 35 mg I went down 3 mg a week on a blind dose. I started feeling withdrawal symptoms when I got to 20 mg, so I decided to go down 1 mg a week until I was completely off. The last 5 mgs were the hardest out of it all just because I felt some what uncomfortable. It really wasn't that bad! I truly believe that a lot of withdrawal symptoms are mental, because anytime I would think about how low of a dose I was at I would start withdrawing!!! I have now been off of methadone for a month and have had absolutely no problems. There is hope. You just need to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Everyone is capable of tapering off of methadone, you just have to believe in yourself!

Posted: May 19, 2016, 7:18 AM
Im still on methadone but have went from 85 to 75 mg I have restless legs but thats all.

Posted: May 20, 2016, 7:56 AM
Hi, I do have a topic saying this but this looked like a good topic to join and maybe get the help I so desperately need... Original topic is Methadone, Britlofex, HELP! But I dont know if anybody can help.
I am 25 and was addicted to herion/ crack (speedballing) for around 7/8 years. in the last 2 years I began to take pre-gabs from a friend, morphine and other medicines inc diazipam, zopiclone.
I am no longer using illegal substances and After my sons dad was sent to prison yet again. I decided to uproot and move back to London to be near family. My son is staying with my mum where I was living over 200 miles away which is really hard.
I am on Mirtazipine for the depression and am down to 40ml of methadone. I decided enough was enough. there was too much abuse in the relationship (drug abuse and domestic/psyc) So when he was sent to prison yet again I decided i was going to leave. I have tried before and succeeded in getting clean for short periods but nevery really off the methadone... I also always went back when he was released.
I want to know what my options are when trying to get off of the methadone... I have heard of britlofex and would really like some information if anybody can help. do they work..? do they really help the withdrawal symtoms,,,? and how do you take them, I heard you take 1 one day , 2 on day two and 3 the next etc... then reduce again?
I have heard good and bad things about them and have looked online but its all wikipedia etc. I would like to hear from real people. I know everybody is different but i would just like to hear others' views. Britlofex is not actually legal in US i don't think but is here in the UK...
Sorry for spelling/ grammer mistake, i have to be quick.
Thank you and I hope somebody writes back :-)
Bella

Posted: May 21, 2016, 4:56 PM
I had to detox off of methadone and it was the most horrible thing that I've ever experienced. It is soooo much harder to detox off of than oxycotin. It took me almost 3 months before I started to feel "normal" again. I had the worst hallucinations in the beginning. And after that passed, then it just felt like my head weighed 100 pounds. I didn't think I would ever get through it. I laid on a mattress for a week and just hallucinated. I couldn't eat or drink anything, must less get up. It was terrible.
bob

Posted: May 26, 2016, 8:32 AM
hello everyone. i just googled a way to stop usin methadone that i saw this website and read your stories. i am usin this for 3+ years and i am about reducing my daily usage dose. i would appreciate if you show me the right way.
thank you all!
sharon

Posted: June 2, 2016, 9:42 AM
Hi have been off methadone for 45 days ( know tgat isn"t much but can only take it day by day! I got really tired of the life -got in argument with my supplier who btw was a controlling bitc* -so went to clinic - let me g backwards forgive me -had got myself down to 15 mgs on my own! So went to clinics and would not start me on any less then 30 -then wanted to up me weekly which I refused. After a month I decided I wanted the monkey off my back! They would not down dose me quickly enough so with the help of my doc I did it my self. My doc gave me clonidine patches (which lower ur blood pressure) But the withdrawal was nothing!!! I felt like I had a cold that is it!!These r miracles. Would not recomm
end them for people just wanting to get through when they r just trying to get there next fix but for people who really want it they r great! Since I wanted it so much was surprised at the after effects which hit 3 weeks later! My body screaming FEED ME! also the drug dreams also the anger -which I am still dealing with- have gone out looking for fights, mind u I am 12o lbs and barley 5 foot tall! I don't care sometimes! Ready to take anyone on! Really wasn't expecting all this -guess it was very naive of me considering I have been an addict for over 12 years. Mostly I wanted to get the word out about these patches -really r miracles! Thanks for your time -all my best to one and all!

Posted: July 6, 2016, 9:13 AM
I have been on methadone for a little over 3 yrs now. My highest dose was 55 mgs. I've been trying to wein myself off of it recently. I'm now down to 39 mgs. So far I haven't felt much different, maybe slightly irritated easier and I have noticed alot of headaches. I'm scared, I know I have to do this my husband already came off of it and he is pressuring me. He had no problem at all coming off (at least that's what he's telling me) I guess he's being truthful because honestly I didn't see him act like he felt bad at all. He smokes weed though and he smoked the whole time he was weaning himself off of it. I don't smoke weed. I never have liked the way it made me feel (paranoid mostly) unfortunately I always liked the harder drugs! When I went from pain pills to heroine for the first time that's when I decided I needed help before I started shooting it into my veins. I'm reading all of these posts and I'm getting discouraged I wish I got clean without this stuff! If anybody has any encouraging stories for me I would very much appreciate it. Good luck to all of you and thankyou!
alexee

Posted: July 7, 2016, 4:32 PM
Can anyone please recommend a place where I can detox of methadone and heroin not to expensive pls

Posted: July 7, 2016, 11:55 PM
Check the listings on this site and in your area....

This post has been edited by constantine on July 7, 2016, 11:56 PM
Donpoo

Posted: August 1, 2016, 12:05 PM
Methadone free after 20 years!!!
it can be done.....
its around 3/4 weeks and i still feel ruff and cold always but its a nasty drug and takes months to get out ya system, without Marijuana and diazepam id be struggling more....
U gotta want it and reduction is the key point
hope that helps 😊

Posted: August 6, 2016, 12:45 PM
I can't thank all you enough for taking the time to post your experiences in getting off of methadone. I have been on it for 2 and a half years, my highest dose was 70 mg, I'm at 60mg now and have been trying to prepare myself mentally to start the process of tapering down and getting off of this for good. I am truly scared of what's in store for me. I have read so many horror stories of the awful effects of the withdrawals and how hard it is to come off of methadone. A long story made quick I was hit by by a drunk driver 4 years ago and after many unsuccessful surgeries to my back I was put on OxyContin at a pain management clinic. The doctor there just kept upping my dose and after multiple visits where I refused to go up and wanted to pursue other options in conjunction with or as an alternative to the pain medication he threatened to release me as his patient. My highest dosage at the end of my treatment with him was 30mg twice a day. When I decided I had enough of the pain pills I feel I made the worst decision of my life in going to a methadone clinic to get off the pain pills. I know these places may have truly helped others in their addictions but my experience with them has been one of disbelief and regret. The lack of educated staff in a place that dispenses such a powerful drug is a travesty. Now I will take a lot of the blame for not educating myself before choosing to start taking methadone but you put your trust in those who promise you such good outcomes when you start there and they fail to mention how hard it will be for you to get off the methadone. They encourage you to keep going up on your dose until you are getting 24 hours of "full relief ". I finally stopped going up at 70 mg after finally educating myself as to where I should be on my daily dosage. The atmosphere is at these clinics is punitive not therapeutic. I am treated as as a junkie looking for my next fix, not some one who had a physical dependence to pain medications and was looking for a way to get off them. Again I accept the responsibility for not pursuing other options. I have worked in health care for almost 20 years and should have made a more educated decision. I am going to start going down again in a few weeks and I am so apprehensive about it. Part of it is the physical misery the other is that I can't take extended periods of time off from work and I worry about not being able to function at work. Wish me luck and I will try and post updates on how I'm doing and I thank all of you on this forum for sharing your stories, they have inspired me and given me the will and determination to be free of methadone.
poisonivy

Posted: August 8, 2016, 10:51 AM
It's been very helpful reading what other people are going through. Methadone withdrawal is difficult. I just made y last drop and I completely off. I was on a quarter pill twice a day. Getting so low before the final drop doesn't seem to make it any easier. I know if I can get through this next week or so I can do it. I was looking for chat rooms for people to talk with while I go through it. I am finding I really need some support and really don't have any at home. Can anyone recommend a place where I can log in and chat live with others. I know reading others stories help to to understand what I am going through and that I am not alone. I have been on methadone for almost 10 years and have slowly tapered off the last few. I have student teaching and will be working outside of school hours and not sure if I can handle it along with PAWS. Just looking for a place when I am not feeling to strong to talk with others. Student teaching starts for me shortly and I will be working outside of school hours, just looking for a little strength and support to get me through this final withdrawal and tips on how some deal with it.
Hari Seldon

Posted: August 8, 2016, 12:37 PM
I have known several (3) people that have been kicked off government sponsored methadone programs. They are all dead. One was suicide by cop, another was just suicide and the third was an OD. They were all taking methadone to recover from heroin addiction.
post replypost new topic