< prev  next >  post replypost new topic
Methadone Taper
Overfifty

Posted: January 17, 2017, 9:32 AM
Day 55 of no methadone. I feel great never had any withdrawals. I have no cravings. I can't believe this is over for me. I was so scared of the withdrawals and they never came. Now it's like a big relief to be free of this. I want to say I wasn't ready to come off I was forced to. I would of stayed on this for life....but it didn't work out that way. I am okay today though. Love the freedom of not having to take it. For me there's always the stigma of being on methadone. When you tell a new doctor or dentist your on it I felt judged. That's just me though. Whenever they would read my prescriptions I would cringe because I felt judged. I just go about my day and feel grateful everyday that I am off of methadone...Taking it one day at a time.....peace
Overfifty

Posted: January 20, 2017, 8:58 PM
Day 58 free of methadone. Trump is now POTUS. I feel good. No withdrawals have been present since day one. Still move slow because of pain but I am dealing with it. Don't have much to report just a quick check in.
Overfifty

Posted: January 22, 2017, 10:52 AM
Today is day 60 free of methadone. My two month mark. So proud of myself for sticking this out and not getting discouraged. Whatever place your at in this journey small steps do matter and add up. I have no cravings and have no desire to start my insanity over again. I will be forever grateful that there was methadone for me to get off of heroin. Because that's how this all began. I was a junkie. Sometimes I forget how life was back then because it has been years since I have used. But when I do really think about it now I get proud of myself. I stuck out a long process of getting off of it and now I am free. For me personally the only time I reflect on my past addiction is when I come on here to post my journey. I hope my story helps someone in their journey. Taking it one day at a time......peace

Posted: January 25, 2017, 9:46 AM
Today is day 63 off of methadone. Feeling good and no cravings. So proud of myself for getting here today. I still move slow because of pain but I am dealing with it. Mentally I am calm inside and feel normal. I am not depressed about this transition to being methadone free. I don't know what to say really except this new found freedom is wonderful. Being methadone free has given me my life back just like going on methadone gave me my life back. I am so very grateful. Taking it one day at a time....peace

Posted: January 25, 2017, 9:56 AM
hello :) thanks for ongoing posts to show everybody how can be done! Congratulation on 2 months!

Posted: January 26, 2017, 9:53 AM
Thank you Bonnie5. Today I read where a pain management clinic in my area closed its doors on 3000 patients. Wow. Another closing. I am so grateful to be off of methadone. I think there will be more of this in the future. So there's the motivation I use. I personally have had my clinic close on me too. I don't want to ever have that happen again to me. I am jaded. I have no faith in the system anymore. That keeps me from going back to using. The lack of doctors willing to prescribe it. Sorry for the rant. I am methadone free still. I have no cravings and despite my pain I am doing well. On the flip side I am so grateful my journey is complete. I am off of methadone that was my goal. Being in that mindset for so long I am surprised I have transitioned to nothing so easily but I am not complaining. I worked hard to get here. Anyway taking things one day at a time.....peace

Posted: January 27, 2017, 11:34 AM
it looks like your country is going trough changes regarding methadone otherwise they wouldnt close that many clinics when they should open more! Good you got out on time but I wonder what those people who are on high dose will do now, imagine been on 180 ills one day then next one nothing? back to using of course what else?
Overfifty

Posted: January 28, 2017, 12:01 PM
Today is day 66 of being methadone free. Yes Bonnie5 we are going through some changes here. The clinic was a pain clinic not exclusively methadone. I was at a doctors office getting my methadone for pain on a monthly basis. When I was given notice my doctor would be retiring. These people got 1weeks notice. Some have morphine pumps in their bodies. I don't know what they .are going to do. Another time my methadone clinic did the same thing to me. I was just out of luck. No clinic. Well I couldn't handle it and went back to heroin. I don't have another run left in me. So in my head I don't trust the prescription anymore. It could get taken away. I guess that's a motivational piece to my story. I took a bad situation and made it positive. Not needing to get well everyday is liberating for me now. I still am quit new to this so I just stay humble and grateful on a daily basis for this freedom from methadone. I am not forgetting where I came from. Anyways I am rambling. Taking this one day at a time...peace

Posted: February 2, 2017, 8:42 AM
Today is day 71 free of methadone. I seriously don't think of my journey except when I come to post. I feel normal and have zero cravings. I still hurt daily but just muddle through the best I can. Pain was also the reason why I took methadone. Now I take an otc pain reliever instead of a narcotic. Yes I notice a difference. But I can't dwell on it. The world is changing and I have to change too. Mentally this has been good for me. And that's a BIG deal for me. Having piece of mind. Taking things one day at a time.....peace

Posted: February 2, 2017, 5:25 PM
I am new to this board, joined today. I've been reading Overfifty's posts.
I want to say congratulations to you. I am detoxing myself. Been on Meth for about 8 years, and I said, it's time to get off. I was on methadone back in the 1970's for heroin addiction. I detoxed in 1980, & was clean for over 25 years. Then I had back problems & a lot of pain. Someone gave me a vicodin, & I got addicted to them. I couldn't afford the addiction, so I went on methadone , that was 8 years ago. I was up to 120 mgs. That was last year. I've been detoxing slowly, now I an on 25mgs. Feel fine, no problems. but I am taking it slow. From 25mgs. I'm going down 1 to 2mgs. per week.I know some people stopped at 25 mgs. but I'm taking it slow.
Overfifty, how many mgs. were you on when you stopped 71 days ago ?

This post has been edited by poolman on February 2, 2017, 5:29 PM

Posted: February 3, 2017, 6:44 AM
Hi Poolman glad you found this forum. I jumped at 2.5. I was going to go down to 1 but my prescription wasn't signed and my doctor retired so I was out of luck. But it turned out great. I jumped at 2.5 and never had any withdrawls. I used clonadine nausea medication weed klonapin and xanax to withdrawl in my first week just to make sure I could handle the transition. I don't take anything now but I do smoke weed. From day one I have experienced no withdrawls. I too took methadone for pain. How are you doing today? Keep reading everyone's posts it will help you with your journey.

Posted: February 3, 2017, 6:58 AM
Hey Poolman wanted to say I jumped at 30 4 years ago and I had a miserable time. Over thirty days of no sleep and feeling awful. I ended up going back on methadone and succeeding this time. So yeah you can jump at higher doses but feel like crap for longer IMO. Your taper sounds good. Can't wait to hear about your journey keep posting

Posted: February 3, 2017, 4:23 PM
Overfifty, thanks for replying to my post.I'm on a clinic meth program,I go once a month.
Wednesday was my first 25 mg. Feel fine !
I will try 25 for a week, then 24 for a week & see how that goes.
You jumped at 2.5 & no sleepless nights ? Great !
How did you come down after 25 ?
I know I can do it, because I did it 30 years ago.
I will keep you guys posted. Have a great day !

This post has been edited by poolman on February 3, 2017, 4:30 PM
Overfifty

Posted: February 4, 2017, 11:38 AM
Pullman I took about two years on tapering from 30 ml.. I was so afraid to go through withdrawals. I dropped ten right away to twenty and took my time in 2.5 increments. Along the way I had some days that I felt not up to par but they were few and far between. I kept waiting for the dreaded sleepless nights and depression. But they never came. I literally just stopped taking it one day and the next day I was fine. Have been ever since. You got this Poolman:). You did it 30 years ago successfully and you are doing it now. Pat yourself on the back your doing great. Posting on here helps me remember my progress. Taking things one day at a time......peace

Posted: February 4, 2017, 8:59 PM
Poolman how are you doing? Do you like weed or hash? It seems it played big part in Overfifty tapering and it helped me to stay away fro big H. .. it makes my cravings less frequent ..i am not planning with stopping that I mean smoking weed or hash ever! What about restless leg syndrome, do you have that? Apparently they have something for that as well (i never had that) what did yyou say on how much methadone are you right now? I really hope you are doing fine :)
Bonnie

Posted: February 6, 2017, 1:24 AM
Hi Bonnie.
I'm on 25 right now, & I feel fine.
Haven't smoked weed or hash in many years.
I do have neuropathy in my legs, I believe it's from long term use of meth.
Been on for about 8 years now. My highest dose was 120, a year ago.
Now days, it's nothing for the clinic to give patients 200 + .
We shall see how it goes as I come down. I plan on 1 mg. per week.
I will keep the group posted. I know I can do it because, I did it 30 years ago.
Thanks for asking.God bless you all !

This post has been edited by poolman on February 6, 2017, 1:28 AM

Posted: February 8, 2017, 8:22 AM
its good to hear you are coping well :) i am go down another 5 mills as of today so now on 30 mills, the only slight problem i have last few days is hard time to get to my senses in the morning, it takes me up to 1 hour to eat drink coffee and become functional ..feeling mostly stiff and without energy but it could be from oversmoking (i always have joint just before going to sleep as it helps e fall asleep otherwise i an turn around for hours ) this is very insignificant comparing to going cold turkey(my worst nightmare) keep us posted ,you need support we're here
good luck :)

Posted: February 8, 2017, 5:52 PM
Good luck Bonnie. You can do it. just take it slow after 25 mgs.
I'm going down 1 mg. every week. Tuesday & Today were my first days on 24 mgs.
Woke up a few times during the night, no big deal.
See how it goes.

Posted: February 8, 2017, 11:28 PM
Bonnie.. I didn't even know you started tapering. Much strength for both you two! 💙

Posted: February 9, 2017, 10:39 AM
B...go slow...that's too fast...your gonna rattle...1 mg or 2 every week or two is better....careful lady...adjust accordingly
post replypost new topic