post replypost new topic
Qutting 380mg Cold Turkey
Ashley

Posted: August 15, 2017, 10:34 AM
I know it's an old post, but I need some advice. I've been on 380mg (and yes that's right) for almost 4 years. I take 190mg 2 times a day. There is an issue with the way my body metabolizes the methadone and that's why I'm on such a high dose. I'm still in pain every morning untill I take my dose. I haven't used in 3 years. I want to come off it cold turkey but I'm really scared. I can't find anything on the internet about someone quitting on such a high dose. I just want to be done with this stuff. I feel like if I don't get off this soon it's going to kill me. Is it safe for me to quit such a high dose cold turkey? Any tips to make it a little easier?
itspossible

Posted: August 15, 2017, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't jump off a dose that high if at all possible..I would try to taper atleast a little bit if that's an option..I have heard of folks that high before if your thinking your the only one..theres been people where your at so there is a way out..I cant give advice to anybody because I'm not qualified, nor would I advise another grown person what to do even if I was..Im here though if I can help in any way possible..
Ashley

Posted: August 15, 2017, 11:03 AM
Thank you. I was thinking about trying to taper down but it will take years to get off a dose that high. The sweating is so bad it's affecting my job. I'm a waitress and I sweat profusely. Like really bad. I'm literally soaked after 1 hour of working. My tables looks grossed out and my managers and co-workers always ask what's wrong with me. With the dose I'm on I still withdrawal and I haven't used in 3 years. I'm always in pain and it's getting to the point that I actually think about killing myself. I'm so depressed. This methadone had taken my soul away. I'm not the same person. I don't know what to do.
itspossible

Posted: August 15, 2017, 11:42 AM
A long slow taper WILL WORK..You are worth it..You are looking for answers and that's a huge step forward for you..I was depressed and had no hope and was also looking for answers..There are people here that will support you..You have greatness within you just waiting to come out..you can do it, it is possible..
I hope theres somebody here that can help with your sweating situation, I was exact opposite, extremely cold all the time, crazy I know, that's how different we all are..
I overcame what I thought was an IMPOSSIBLE situation,if I can do it I know anybody can,i know YOU CAN..

Ashley

Posted: August 15, 2017, 1:01 PM
I'll see if they'll let me go down 10mg a week. That would be 5mg from each dose. Then maybe Suboxone when I get low enough. But they don't want me off of it. I haven't used in 3 years but they still think I'm not ready to taper down. They want me to raise my dose. They won't make money off me if I quit.

Posted: August 17, 2017, 1:11 AM
Sorry you are suffering, Ashley. Your clinic is telling you not to taper because they feel that you aren't in a stable recovery. They are NOT keeping you there for the money. If you leave, there are another 20 addicts waiting to take your place. Clinics have no client shortage, unfortunately.

What is the medical issue that is making the methadone not work well for you? I have had to deal with many health issues that have interfered with my dosing, so maybe I can shed some light on what is going on.

I'm worried when I hear you say you are losing your soul. It is very easy to blame it on the methadone, and maybe it has some bearing on how you are feeling, but if you are unstable on your dose (and by what you said, you are struggling with withdrawal and pain) jumping at over 300mg. is NOT the answer. Dealing with these feelings should occur before you stop your medication.

Why does it matter how long it takes to taper? Slow and steady wins the race! The reason clinics recommend reducing only 10% of your dose every week or two is because they know that those who go down slowly and allow their body to adjust are the ones who make it. Jumping at your current dose is asking for a relapse. If you are having withdrawal symptoms that you can't stand now, just wait for tthat cold turkey agony!

Lowering your dose will help with sweating usually. You doctor can prescribe a variety of medications that can help stop the sweating. Don't be afraid to ask for help with side effects you are experiencing.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have been on MMT for almost four years. However, about 9 or 10 years ago, I was on MMT and successfully tapered off without any withdrawal symptoms. I tapered on avereage 1 or 2 milligrams every two weeks. Did it take a long time? Yes! Did I suffer? Not one bit! Unfortunately, at that time I was only using methadone and not working on recovery in any other way and I quickly relapsed.

Methadone is a great tool, but it is just a tool. Without a comprehensive recovery plan in place success is much less likely. Individual counseling, dealing with past trauma, finding a sober support system etc. are just as important (actually more important!) than the medication alone.

Check in and let us know what is going on and if I can help in any way, let me know! Sending good vibes your way!
Anne123

Posted: August 17, 2017, 11:47 AM
Hi Ashley.

I've been doing (or WAS doing) methadone for 3 years too, no clinic I just bought them but then I started dating my dealer so. Freeeeee.

Anywho, for about 2 years I did 6 daily so 60mg, but then I started stealing his pills, after about 6 months I was taking 50 pills a day, so 500mg but I did work my way up to that probably increasing 2-5 pills a day. That lasted about 6 months of a steady 40 - 50 pills a day, a lot of days I would take moRe I was a fiend for sure.

Why this might apply to you though is that although my dose was much lower for longer it also became much higher and for a substantial amount of time.

So anyway I got caught, and quit cold turkey.
I'm 22, weighed 155 on day 1. It's been 45 days now and I weigh 128 now hahaha but 45 days is commendable I think, and I feel much better - not a full 100% but I'll manage. I sleep a good 6 hours a night, stomach issues are gone, my energy has returned etc.

I know your scared. I was terrified. But it is very much possible to get off this drug, taper if needed and listen to these good people. My heart is with you no matter what you do, you got this girl.

Posted: September 16, 2017, 3:15 PM
Have you considered a blind detox? I was on 220mg and had to walk off 3 times just to get down to a dose where I could switch to suboxone. Honestly, I don't understand why clinics allow such high doses. There used to be a limit of 80 mg per day. Just curious, how are things going now?
post replypost new topic