post replypost new topic
Is It Possible To Stay In Control Of Heroin?

Posted: April 4, 2017, 6:09 PM
Hello to everyone, is it possible to control your heroin habit?
My partner has been smoking heroin for nearly 2years, after a period of 10 years clean. Previous to that he was an iv street user, committing petty crime to fund it.
His lifestyle now enables him to use, without money being an issue, so far. He insists he won't let it get out of control and says he wants to stop using. Initially he said he only did it to keep withdrawals at bay and he doesn't get out of his head on it. He does all of this in private and I can't be sure of the extent of his habit as we don't live together. When I let myself into his house however, it always seems to be out in use or else I can smell it. He massively plays it down. Is it possible he's telling me the truth?

Posted: April 5, 2017, 1:46 PM
sorry but greatest of all illusions is one where you think you are in control ..we all thought like that at one point but its not truth ..Heroin always controls you no matter what! Look you can have house ,mortgage, fairly ,great job but the moment you dont have your hit everything takes second place, only important thing is to get your "thing" because being sick without it is horrendous so we will do everything in our power not to get to that point... if he has the most important appointment or something else very important but he is sick or becoming sick he is to forget about it until he gets his hit and feels human again . Another problem your boyfriend is saying is how he use only to take off edge of sickness well nobody i ever known could do that and not use more, use until is gone or until we are well stoned plus dont forget our habit is growing fast so yesterday dosage is not enough today..always want more, need more in order to feel it. If I go by what you said i think he is lying to you and himself which is very common thing to do, sorry.

This post has been edited by Bonnie5 on April 5, 2017, 1:47 PM

Posted: April 6, 2017, 6:18 AM
Thanks for your reply Bonnie, to be honest I know he's lying as I've read up a lot on as many aspects of heroin addiction as I can, but you know when someone is swearing blind about something its easy to go with it. Thing is, you say about the hit being a priority but he is never without it in terms of possession. Money and getting it aren't an issue at the mo. One of the things I worry most about is if he goes back to injecting as he did in the years before he got clean. He's smoking it so far. Do you think its inevitable to inject eventually or do people smoke it without progressing to iv use? Ive also asked him about how much he uses at a time and he also swears that its only increased a bit since he started almost 2 years ago now. Is this likely? I know you don't necessarily have all the answers but id really appreciate some honest input from anyone who's been there. Thanks.

Posted: April 6, 2017, 2:21 PM
Hi. I've smoked heroine for a bit over 2 years and would never think of injecting. My habit was a point a day (20 bucks), sometimes more. Do you know how much he smokes? Sounds like he is an experienced user and knows the danger of injecting. The last time I used was at place were users could do there drug of choice and in 1 day I saw 2 overdoses from injecting. They lived because help was there immediately.
Your bf is doing it alone so I'm sure he knows the danger in that and maybe he will not inject because of the known danger.

Posted: April 9, 2017, 1:32 PM
No! Not possible!! That's what EVERY addict says. I'm recovering from a heroin addiction and cannot count how many times I said I was in control of my habit. Addicts are MASTERS at hiding, manipulating, and lying. I know because I've done it! He needs help for his addiction. But you can't force him if he's not ready. Don't give into the excuses. I said the exact same thing to my partner when I was using. I wish you the best of luck, I hope he accepts help.. meetings are a great place to start (HA, NA, even AA if alcohol is an issue too)

Posted: May 11, 2017, 7:26 PM
Not possible. Still using & wanting to stop= addiction, regardless of money.
post replypost new topic