post replypost new topic
Computer Buying Addiction?
addiction?

Posted: March 27, 2009, 12:14 PM
Hi,

I have been with my boyfriend for over 3 years and we have 4 kids between the both of us whom all reside w/ us. At first he stayed on the computer playing counter stike for hours w/ his head phones on ignoring everyone around him for hours including the kids. That has since stopped within the last year or so.
However I have witnessed more computers come and go then I can count
literally atleast 75+ of these things. He buys, sells, swaps and trades constantley. Not to mention if he buys them from a department store he will soon take them back within a week at most, usually sooner than that, within the same day. He also does this with video game systems (Xbox 360, Playstation 3 etc.) He will keep us in the streets all day looking for whatever computer or video game system he is desiring then when he finds it, he will buy it but only to take it back, sell it, or swap or trade someone for another one.
They all seem the same (pentinum 4 or dual core/laptop or desktop).
He also repairs older computers and sells them.

He literally comes home everynight and comes to his desk and has something to do with a computer until bed time (makes me wonder why im here?) wether it is fixing one or surfing the web. He bought another laptop yesterday which he sold one to buy and had to put somemore $ w/ to get. And it literally costed more than our rent. When he noticed I was upset I guess it made him feel guilty so he is trying to sell it online now. I mean this happens like every week.

When I try to talk to him about it he say " Youve been complaing for over 3 years about computers, this is just me learn to deal with it."
This seems like a pretty selfish response to me espically when someone is needing help w/ kids or there is always something more productive he can be doing to help me out around the house, or because I feel at times neglected because computers come 1st.

Learn to deal with it when it seems to be what his whole world revolves around and the only thing on his mind the majority of the time?

Does this seem like a shopping addiction to computers and video games, or a computer addiction or both?

Posted: March 27, 2009, 12:31 PM

This type of behavior is often called a 'soft addiction' since, in theory, there is no physical harm from it, but it is an addiction however you look at it.

Check out this site on Soft Addictions and read the questions...I think you'll find it interesting.

If this is a problem in your relationship then you will have to decide whether you can live like this forever. Ask yourself, "If it never gets any better than this will that be okay with me?" If the answer is no, then you may want to consider what to do since he appears unwilling to change his current habits.

Sorry, that sucks...it's almost like having no partner and no dad at all for your kids.

Peace~MomNMore

--------------------
You will not change what you are willing to tolerate.

user posted image
post replypost new topic