post replypost new topic
Debt And Risk As The Basis Of Recovery?
Really?

Posted: April 15, 2016, 12:09 AM
I spent many years in 12-step recovery and never got past the first step and relapse a few times a year. My sponsor said it was because I did not want to end my teaching career, which is not a good job in early recovery, would not consider buying a home, bought a modest car, consumed sugar, blah blah blah. The fact that I have done none of these things shows that I have not taken the first step.

Lately meetings I attend have been emphasizing that you cannot help someone craving alcohol or drugs.

So is the only solution to quick my job, or get a mortgage or both? I know that we are not supposed to fear economic uncertainty if we are in the program---but I do fear it.

This just seems so crazy to me.

Posted: April 30, 2016, 2:39 PM
Your sponsor makes no sense. None of that has anything to do with the first step. The principle of the first step is honesty, not debt. Get a new sponsor.

--------------------

१२ स्तैप्पैर!

kat11100@comcast.net

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you;
that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
Mark Twain

Just because the monkey's off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town

Laugh because it shows people that you have what they want and what they need: a hope in things unseen, a peace that passes understanding, and a God of miracles who also has a great sense of humor.

post replypost new topic