< prev  next >  post replypost new topic
Has Anyone Successfully Stopped Taking Methadone?
Hari Seldon

Posted: August 8, 2016, 2:39 PM
I am posting again because I believe the government has greater responsibility when they enter into an agreement with a patient to treat their addiction with a drug that is more powerful, more addictive and has more painful withdrawal symptoms then the drug they are currently abusing. I used to be a heavy crack cocaine abuser ( I was homeless and smoked every day I first smoked crack when I was watching O.J. in his low speed chase on live TV, I now have been clean since 2008.. I did start smoking marijuana again in 2010) and I sometimes used heroin but I was lucky and never got wired to heroin. I have seen many people try to kick heroin but have never seen any success without the use of methadone. When the government accepts you into a methadone program they KNOW that there is a high probability that the patient will at some point lapse back and use heroin again. I do not know how it is everywhere but when my friends tested positive for heroin while being on the program they were kicked off and left to fend for themselves. I find this to be negligent and unacceptable. When the government accepts responsibility for your treatment by putting you on a stronger drug they should be in it for the long haul. I would like to know if anyone else has lost friends in this manner and ideas on how to stop it.

Posted: August 8, 2016, 10:17 PM
Don't know where you are but most programs usually have a 3 strike policy..also...if your using on methadone then your doing it on purpose..not raising your dose...methadone program aren't baby sitters...you have to work with it like anything you do to stay clean..not even the government can stop us if we want to use...it's not their responsibility. .nor anyone's ...it's ours ...methadone program is a tool....nothing more...you have to want to stay clean...if you don't. .it's on you...back to square one...and we all know the consequences. ..

This post has been edited by constantine on August 8, 2016, 10:24 PM
Tommy

Posted: August 10, 2016, 5:20 PM
I'm going to be a success story, I had been on methadone 8 yrs. after an addition of opiates. I did do herion prior,but opiates got me to a methadone clinic. I had gone cold turkey while in custody a few times. I finally said enough, I mentally got ready to detox .... I married a beautiful woman 4 year's ago,meet her on Moco space. She has never seen someone on methadone,but I also abused pills to make me remain numb. After two year's she left me. She did warn me,but I thought she was joking! Well I just recently found her and we have agreed to try to fix our marriage so I asked her for her help ,she researched methadone detox and to my amazement she has helped me be comfortable, I'm in my first week of detox, I was on 110 mg. I do take xanax and it helps,but all the other stuff I take an do has done wonders for me. I love my wife for not giving up on me and I love her more for backing me up with my detox. So with that, it can be done. Peace ...

Posted: August 12, 2016, 11:48 AM
Hi there
ive been on a reduction program and am currently on 4ml of methadone .. feel great and will go down to 2ml in 10 days ...
the final week i get a "care package" which include sleeping tabs,buscopan(stomach cramps ),quinine( leg cramps ),metoclopramide( any sickness ) and loparamide ( for the s***s )
many people have Successfully Stopped Taking Methadone and done correctly it can be done .. if your doing it yourself make sure you get help from a drug rehab/center if you need it ... in the uk it free if your not working
good luck
billy

Posted: August 27, 2016, 3:39 PM
I did the worse thing possible trying to get off of 75mg of liquid handcuffs (methadone) by doing an 8k rapid detox.. wasn't able to get high for three months because of a neltrexone ball they sew in you so you can't get high off any opioids. throwing up all three months...went back on methadone...got off by taking suboxone. suboxone, for me, didn't give me a euphoric effect but just the smallest dose would keep me from feeling sick. EXERCISE EVEN WHEN YOU DONT WANT TO!!! It will help rid the body of the toxins quicker, hence, withdraw, not as bad. still going to suck but stay strong. that feeling of want goes away. if I can only quit smoking weed lol...joking if you can quit methadone, you can quit anything!!
Loretta

Posted: September 1, 2016, 7:37 AM
I went up to 50mg of methadone and have been going down since last October. I'm now on 7mg, and I'm ok, but I am starting to feel little things. The key to my success is I've set up a sober network, with a counselor, psychiatrist, and support. Noone can do this alone, and there's plenty of resources accessible for a permanent methadone free life. That being SAID in my experience there is two key factors, one is you did not get this way overnight and your not going to get better overnight. Second, take responsibility for your actions, your best efforts as an active user,put you where you are, so stay real and focus on positive.

Posted: September 5, 2016, 9:51 AM
I agree getting off the methadone can be done it takes time. I have been off for 1 year and almost a month. The big key for me was my faith in Jesus Christ, and through Him I was able to exercise and that was huge for me because I wear leg braces. But exercise is a big factor and you need to exercise even when you have a lack of sleep and when your sick. I know its hard but do it as much as possible. Look it has taken a whole year but just live by the day at first then by the week then by the month. The post are right didn't get where you are overnight and this will be a hard fought battle but it can be done!!!
Mdone=yearsofhell

Posted: September 12, 2016, 9:23 AM
So I know this is being posted late AF as in like 4 years , but yeah you can die off of eliminating methadone all together I was working and couldn't get my drink even knowing this 3 days prior to and drinking only half my dose so half of 140mg then I drank 70mg for 3 days and still collapsed on day 5 of having nothing. and lost vitals I woke in an ambulance after being defibulated ... so to answer buddies question you can infact die from methadone withdrawal it is actually the ONLY OP that can kill you from withdrawal. Sorry about the delay in response I hope you are doing better man. Me myself am back on the juice and still get sick. Ughh This s*** is true hell would've been so much smarter to just stay on drugs, and wean off, but without the necessary will power that wasn't an option... I just hate feeling trapped like I do with this bs. ughh FML

Posted: September 27, 2016, 1:49 PM
strongwoman29. its been 30 days today i been off methadone feel great finally got my life back
was on 30ml for 8 months i decided its time to go cold turkey-went thru all the wds-it was
worth it feel awesome to get up in morning feeling normal again.glad to hear u finally got off after ur long time on the dose u made it. happy for u move forward in ur new clean life.

Posted: September 28, 2016, 4:25 AM
So Hi everyone it's 4am and my 5th day off methadone I was at 60mg for years and tapering down to 3mg. When I picked up my weekly dose on Tuesday I thought to myself this is it I'm going to stop taking it. I thought what really would be the difference going from 3mg to 1mg. So when I woke up Thursday I didn't take my dose and was really not sure what to expect. So when the first wd's started that day I went on the internet and started reading what everybody went through and was shocked that it takes 30 day's to feel better and sleep normal again and that methadone has the longest wd time. I wish my counselor told me what to expect when I started my detox down. I'm lucky cause my mom is and ER room nurse and happens to work with a doctor that does some work at my clinic so I called her and talked to the doctor and asked him and he said if I gets bad go see him. How to Know what's bad , I have seen bad wd's I'm not having it that bad just that feeling in your stomach that won't let you sleep and some cramps and diarrhea. The biggest thing for me is not being able to sleep. I'm up all night tired so I turn the TV off and 15min later the TV is back on. I really thought going all the way down to 3mg wouldn't be that bad but it has been and from what everybody else says I'm looking for at least a week of this and a month of bad sleep. I'll keep updating and let you know how it's going and any ?'s let me know --Brian
Barbie

Posted: October 4, 2016, 12:55 PM
Hi I've been on methadone for 6 months and I want off. My highest dose was 50 and now I'm at 40 I've been asking my doctor to lower my dose more but he doesn't want to.. so I'm thinking of just stopping it on my own. Is this a bad idea??? Can someone please help me cause I feel trapped and I don't want to be on this. I want to be free. How long will I be in withdrawal? Please help
bob

Posted: October 10, 2016, 12:08 PM
I am writing here as I do not no what else to do. I have been on methadone now for 14/15. Years I am currently on 60ml a day, I have stopped all other drugs and for the past 3 weeks only going to the chemist every second day, yesterday I went 3 days. But on 3rd day I had to take oralmorph. I want to stop my methadone but I have heard that the withdrawal is very bad and will last about 3weeks. I am considering stoping and going on to subutex or goingdo my own detox useing oralmorph and citing my dose each day. Does anyone have any advice on what I'm considering or any advice on stoping on such a high dose. I really need to come off this so any advise would help. Thanx.

***Please do not post personal contact information. thank you, the moderators***

This post has been edited by moderator on October 11, 2016, 8:53 AM

Posted: October 10, 2016, 3:23 PM
Methadone has a long a** half life...you won't feel much for the first days...some even go a week before the deep rattle hits...I wouldn't jump off the dose if you can taper...tapering slowly seems to work best..if u cross over to subs..make sure it has no naltrexon and your opiate free..or in wds before you try...sub board has more info...be safe.

This post has been edited by constantine on October 10, 2016, 3:25 PM
nonny419

Posted: October 29, 2016, 12:52 PM
I was on methadone for 15 years I have been off 4 years now. I was at 180 most the time when I and off I did it over a 2 year period. 5 a week until I got to 100 the 2 a week till at 75 then 2 every other week till 30 1 every other til done I no withdrawl I'm fine.
RW

Posted: October 30, 2016, 10:30 PM
I was on methadone for nearly 50 tears and have spent the last year or so tapering my dose from 70 to 10 mg. All these years I thought it was impossible to detox but all you need is a great deal of resolve and the knowledge that it is tough but possible. Doctors have never helped me but they may be able to help you if you can't do it yourself. Trust me - a life with methadone sucks.
Karen

Posted: November 3, 2016, 8:01 PM
Hello everyone,
I have read all posts and am both nervous and excited and dealing with a bit of withdrawal. My doctor put me on methadone and percocet for sever migraines. I have been taking painkillers for over 20 years which I successfully got off of by myself because I hated what it was doing to my mind and body. I am on methadone but at a very low dosage of 10 mg a day. My question is will the withdrawal be just as bad as if I were on a higher dose. I have one pill left then I have none. I have been cutting the pill in half to not go completely without because my legs will not stop moving. I did not realize that sneezing was a part of withdrawal because I sneeze alot now. My stomach is cramping and I am agitated. This is off such a low dose, does it get worse?
Thanks for all your encouraging words.

Sincerely
Karen

Posted: November 3, 2016, 10:55 PM
It may..Or may not I've known people on low dose that barely experienced much..And some that have..try not to keep focusing/reading to much into others. (Hard not to i know!) it is good to have an idea of what to expect..but everyone a little different. Yeah sneezing definitely common and the rls. I took benadryl for sneezing (And hopes to get some sleep) just remember everything will subside..
Take care, mk
Damien

Posted: December 5, 2016, 4:50 PM
Hi my name is Damien I have been on the methadone e program for just under a year I hate it. The last four days I haven't taken it should I suck it up and not go for it. Deal with the pain. The only problem I'm having now is that my legs are feeling like s***. I need some suggestions for what I need to do please

Posted: December 8, 2016, 7:25 AM
Yes 16 days ago I quit methadone after a long slow taper with no withdrawls. I have zero cravings I am calm no crying jags or other emotional upheavals. I feel normal.
Jensasssy30

Posted: January 10, 2017, 4:09 PM
Hi I have been reading the posts I was looking up on the Internet the success rate of people detoxing off of methadone I myself and detoxing off of methadone I have been on it for almost 2 years I am an ex pill addict of many years and eventually started smoking heroin. I have been clean off of heroin and pills for a year-and-a-half methadone has helped me but there's also a lot of side effects too now that I'm clean and I have a lot of support I have decided to come cuz I would like to dark to be able to feel normal the methadone makes me feel like crap sometimes! I am working with my counselor and decided to come down off methadone only one milligram every week I have already come down for milligrams and not doing much of a difference but we'll see I know I have to keep God in my life and keep trying everyday and hopefully one day I will be completely off the methadone it does scare me because I started taking pills because of pain problems so I think my biggest worry is not being able to handle the pain but I did too be completely honest with doctors and and Tackle this issue the right way.
post replypost new topic