< prev  post replypost new topic
Weaning Off Heroin
curious

Posted: February 17, 2005, 10:07 PM
i DO hear what you are saying and i am NOT disagreeing or rebutting it in anyway, i was just thinking that i could take an oxy in the day to get thru work and maybe one at night so i could sleep, and that way my tolerance would drop because my body is clean of H and after a few days or week of that it would be easier to go cold turkey? i wasnt planning on using the oxy in place of the H, i was just thinking of using it when the withdrawals got really bad and not anymore than that. it was just a thought that passed thru my mind and i needed some input on it. Thanks again for your replies, -Jason.

Posted: February 18, 2005, 11:26 PM
I was given oxyes from friends during my last atemp at cold turkey. At first they did made me feel better, but they didn't mask or lighten the WDs when not taken anymore. They just postpone the WDs not helped. Well at least for me, that is how it went down. Well, sorry to say but ya going to have to bite the bulet on this one.

There is a way around it though, methadone or subs will help you get off the H, but if you are looking for an instant off all drugs route, I don't know what to tell you. Except, good luck and best wishes.

Travis

--------------------
Our biggest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure.

By Nelson Mandela
billedtrain

Posted: February 18, 2005, 11:56 PM
Cat, I only pay 100.00 per month for Methadone tabs, it took 5 years of clean urines, work, family and basically clean living. I could not imagine being back on a clinic setting, i am in OBOT, which is fairly new, and I am in western New York now, out of NYC. It is alot like being treated like a normal patient/doctor relationship, my wife and kids have me home on the weekend mornings now. It was a lifesaver. When i see what people pay htese clinics, I don't know how they do it it is a rip off, Plus i could not stand waiting in lines, i did that in alphabet city in the 80's for my dope and coke., Almost the same thing at those prices !!
janet

Posted: July 20, 2015, 5:15 AM
i am currently wheening myself off the devil himself aka heroin. 5 days ago i shot a gram,4 days ago only did 2 tenths. 3 days ago I sweat it out BAD and went to the ER yesterday I did a tenth and today .075 g. tomorrow I will do .06 by the end of the week I will be down to basically dust. Tapering myself off like this is only possible because my wife holds my stuff and we have a set schedule I am sticking to.
So far I would say my overall withdrawl symptoms are less then half as bad as going cold turkey, but it must be stated though the symptoms are less sever, the process is going to take 10 days of feeling mildly dope sick. I start a new job today and cold turkey was/is not a viable option. I hope that this provides someone with a little insight on how to taper off this horrific drug. Everyday I do less-I feel more empowered to finally be rid of the poison.
best of luck to any and all who read this and may the Creator continue to keep you safe and strong!

Posted: July 23, 2015, 8:14 PM
Hi yall,
Let me just start by saying I only wish I had someone like Dif to give the 411 at 3 months in. Every word is true especially about the wd's being so mild now compaired to what it can become. It can and will become so bad that u will do anything and I do mean anything to stop the pain. Not just physical pain to which there is no comparison but mental anguish and torture of the love hate relationship and don't even get me started on the guilt that comes with the nasty package. GET OUT NOW!!!!!
rebecca

Posted: August 23, 2015, 7:20 PM
get to a methadone clinic and stop fu**ing around with your life.

Posted: August 26, 2015, 7:09 PM
I'm sorry. I hope I don't sound stupid for this which i know I do anyways but what does cluck mean?
OpiateLuvr

Posted: September 2, 2015, 3:07 PM
Hey BL,
I must admit, this is not a term that we use here in the NewEngland region of the U.S. but I see there are alot of folks from the UK on here and I'm guessing it's a British term. It means the withdrawals and the symptoms of it. I personally hate the word, it sounds so stupid really- "the cluck" but no matter what you call it- it SUX. The Cluck sux- HA! Generally speaking we usually use "wd" or "dopesick" in this part of the world. Hope that helped.
OL
jessiebeans

Posted: January 8, 2016, 5:08 PM
Hi everyone. Been reading the forum for about a week. I snort about 2 bags a day. Was 5 days clean the beginning of December. I am tapering. Did a quarter of a bag this am and I am fine. I am hoping by Monday I am done with this drug. I have a bag and a half left. I know that I am lucky to be able 5I have the strength to let the bag sit there while I am keeping busy and work. I think I can do this. I am taking Sunday and Monday off of work. I have smokes lorazepam, water Gatorade and immodium. I'm gonna do this. Do you think i can?? I am so scared.

Posted: January 8, 2016, 5:58 PM
Give it your best shot and if you can walk away that's great.

If you find, in the end, that you are powerless then come to NA/AA as millions of us do.

All the best.

Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)
JayLie

Posted: February 12, 2017, 7:29 AM
Hello Everyone,
So I've read everyone's posts, I agree with you all. I was taking 80 mg Oxy's for about three years everyday, on top of Perks I was prescribed from a bad car accident. One day I decided I no longer wanted to do the pills and stopped with no withdraw effects at all. I was sober over a year, then moved to a new city, met new people that happened to do them, got back into them. They were taken off the market in the United States, put back on the market so you could only take them orally, as prescribed (I snorted them). So again I stopped using them. I was sober a while, started using perk 30's, then was introduced to a cheaper option, heroin. Heroin is what got me. I said I'd never use a needle (snorted heroin for a long time), I was petrified of needles, well I do now. Luckily, it's been over 5 years and I've somehow kept it all together. I still have my job of ten years, no one suspects that I even use, few people know that I've told. Everyone thinks I have this wonderful life from the outside, but no one really knows that this demon lurks beneath the shadows. My hour and a half commutes every other day spending $250, suck. What's odd is, I don't use from the time I wake up until the time I get home from work. So I go the entire day not feeling any withdraw effects. Can anyone tell me why I can go over 12-16 hours but need to use before I go to bed and ultimately to help me fall asleep? I almost feel like for me, the withdraw effects from heroin arise from a mental standpoint and make my physical symptoms worse than they really are (I've never actually had an actual withdraw but if I'm bored, my legs start to get bothersome and annoying).

Jason, we're close in age, I'm 28. I'm hoping that everything works out for you before you end up like me with a 5 year habit and withdraw symptoms that I can only anticipate and know will be worse than just my legs from what I've heard. I'm not looking forward to it either, but I know I have too and ultimately, I want to, for me. I can't live like this forever. I've sacrificed relationships (don't have a boyfriend), kids (don't have any), and happiness. I hope you have options that I don't (I struggle with people finding out the truth and can't/won't take off work). Like you, I'm actually in construction as well, although I'm an administrative assistant and fill in on the feild when extra help is needed. I was hoping I could taper my heroin dose over the next seven days to a smaller amount to ultimately start subutex (I have eight 2mg tablets and four 4 mg tablets) and then taper quickly over a few more days with suboxone (I have eight 8 mg films). I don't think I will need all of these, however I wanted to be prepared. A doctor I spoke to wanted me to start with 2 mg 18-24 hours after my last use, then continue taking 2 mg every 2-4 hours for the first day using suboxone. However, a friend of mine detoxed in rehab with subutex 8 mg day 1, 4 mg day 2, and 2 mg day 3 (24 hours after last use of heroin), then absolutely nothing. The difference between suboxone and subutex is that suboxone has naloxone and subutex does not.

So sorry for the "book" I wrote, lol. Does anyone believe I can detox myself with suboxone/subutex at home and have any other advice on how to do it? Thank you,
-JayLie

Posted: February 12, 2017, 8:22 AM
YayLie i never used subs but my husband tried and was advised by our doctor to wait until he gets into withdrawal and only then to take first dose... he took it when first signs started which was about 16 hours after last hit and it was nightmare, I never seen anybody been so violently sick so suddenly and nothing would help him, he took more subs which made it worse if possibile , he tried heroin but no effect and it was only valium that helped little bit.. he never wanted after that to even talk about Subutex let alone take any. What I want to say is be prepared and wait before taking first dose , read everything you an find online about this medication before taking so you know exactly what to expect.We have Suboxone board here maybe it would be better if you look for your answers there. Stay safe and we are here if you need support! You can do it and dont forget detoxing its only first step what comes after is most important for your recovery ... having some kind of support set up would be good idea (what about reaching out to NA or SMART organizations for ongoing support , meetings etc)?
Good Luck!
post replypost new topic