< prev  next >  post replypost new topic
My Taper Story

Posted: October 8, 2019, 2:19 PM
Day 26

The return of stomach woe!

Other than that, I also 6 hours, but fell back asleep for an additional 1.5!!

Fatigue, watery eyes in afternoon but had soccer match at night and felt great.

The shotgun sneezing seemed to pull a rib cage muscle and s collision in play made it worse.

No meds for pain!

I’ll take the aches and pains of sports injuries over th deadness of methadone.

No return of chronic pain. Cutting sugars really worked!

Posted: October 9, 2019, 6:07 AM
Day 26. A good day.

Coughing less.

Sneezing maybe 6 times total.

Slept 8am to 3am and 3:30-5am. Had unintended 30 min nap at 5:30pm.

Each day seems to get better.

Pulled muscle beneath rib cage from shotgun sneezing/coughing aggravated by belly laughs!

Hoping that even chronic pain patients give getting off methadone a try. I agree with those who stated that methadone made things worse.
Overfifty55

Posted: October 9, 2019, 8:02 AM
Good morning Chronicpain:). I can’t believe it’s already been 26 days. Your an inspiration to follow. Your positive energy shines through your posts. You’ve got this I just wanted to high five you..........Have a beautiful Wednesday...................peace

Posted: October 10, 2019, 8:49 PM
Chronicpain getting to day 26 is awesome, just continue to take one day at a time. You are doing great!!!!!!!!!

Posted: October 11, 2019, 10:37 AM
Thank you for the encouraging words.

I’m usually good with math, but missed this dating—

Today is 30 days.

Yesterday I destroyed the man pills & broken pills I had from my long taper. The strange diet resolved pain I’ve dealt with for 21+ years.

Posted: October 12, 2019, 7:48 AM
Day 31

Sleep broken but accumulating. I woke up feeling great.

I still have the cold/cough though much improved. The research has been reassuring that post methadone a compromised immune system means vulnerability. Treating with bone broth.

I’ve also considered that dropping sugar did more to spare me withdrawal pains than I may grasp.

1. Inflammation. With bodily inflammation gone, arthritis & body ache resolved. I cringe when I read “use Gatorade for electrolytes” wondering if readers know this is not the Gatorade of yesteryear but bought out & now a high sugar drink.

2. Body fat loss during taper.

Methadone stores in fat (and possibly bone). Having dropped a lot of weight from healthy fats low carb (sugars) I cannot help but think this would have been difficult with excess body fat—-particularly after 14 years.

Florida sun for vitamin D no longer brings sunburn while having no inflammation. It’s the first time in my life I’ve not used sunblock. I think our terrible diet has produced the need for sunblock.

Posted: October 13, 2019, 6:19 AM
Day 32

I’ve noted an improvement in mood with sleep.

It is still broken sleep but I’m grateful for any. I’m finding that if I awake after 3 hours, I don’t stress about it and fall back asleep.

I am letting my brain heal naturally.

I don’t condemn anyone who uses anything to help them. It’s a personal choice for me & through many months of research, I have strong doubts on any drugs that impact the brain. It’s scary to hear a drug be praised & prescribed only to eventually have it recalled.

I’m relying on nutrition & exercise —-

I also note how it feels like a fog is being lifted that existed on methadone. Emotion increase and I’m hopeful for intellectual —especially memory. I’ve long experienced memory lapses on methadone.

Another blessing—

I’ve always experienced anxiety when considering that my doctor may leave the practice or another gov’t regulation will ensue —along with the ugly experiences over the years where the doctor was late renewing the script...calling several times to the office.

I know it’s not the daily “liquid handcuffs” anxiety but as the years passed, I hated it. It was a monthly “handcuff” that ate away at me.
I’m free from it.

In pain management forums, posters suffer from being dropped or losing their doctor or other such trials. I feel for them.

Freedom.

I wish this for others!

Posted: October 16, 2019, 4:52 AM
Day 35

I slept 7 hours straight for the first time since the taper began (1 year).

I am grateful.

The cough continues. My understanding is that opiates act as a cough suppressive therefore the re-learning, much like sneezing takes place.

9 shotgun sneezes one day and none yesterday. My rib cage still hurts from the heavy sneezing and the cough. The muscle strain is likely to heal with the resolution of sneezing & cough.

Stomach now has more days without issue than with. Healing.

I injured my hamstring in soccer and now hobbling around in pain. I am grateful for a kind Providence Who has reminded me of my blessed dependence upon Him.

Posted: October 24, 2019, 12:18 PM
Day 42

For the last 7 days, I’ve experienced PAWS.

Depression, moody, fatigue and the stomach still needs resolution. Going to the bathroom 6x per day.

I am glad I read up on PAWS.

The dry hacking cough lingers but is better. It’s almost over, I think. Methadone (opioids) is a natural cough suppressant so it’s something else I was able to read up on & not be surprised.

Sneezing down too.

Pressing on...

This post has been edited by Chronicpain on October 25, 2019, 11:46 AM

Posted: October 26, 2019, 7:54 AM
Day 44

Some respite from paws.

Cough is minimal and chest soreness much less.

Slept 5.5 hours & then another hour or so.

Fatigue & mild depression better.

I helped stomach with 18 hour fast.

Overfifty55

Posted: November 5, 2019, 8:38 AM
Good morning Chronicpain:). Wanted to say hi and wish you well. 😀

Posted: November 6, 2019, 7:40 AM
Thank you. I hope you are well.

Day 56

PAWS has been surprisingly rough the past week. Stomach, insomnia & mild depression. First MD appt. doctor said the PAWS was normal. No comfort meds requested.

Stomach is difficult —I’ve read that some cleared up at 5 or 6 months. Dr said it’ll recover.

I press on.

Posted: November 9, 2019, 7:24 PM
Day 60

PAWS continues but—

Sleep in improving. I go 3-4 hours until wake up, but the difference is I do fall back asleep. I am grateful to God for each little move forward.

Stomac-still going a lot. It’s a struggle.

Energy better

Cough all but gone.

Sneezing down to perhaps 3-4 per day.

Irregular heart beat seems resolved.

I’m taking 2mg of loperamide 3 days per week. It scares me but using the bathroom this often has led to a new & painful condition. It hurts to sit down.

Doc warned me about memory lapses during PAWS. He said it comes and goes but eventually resolves.

I’ve re-read J-Dave’s diary. He suffered a lot from PAWS. I hope he’s ok.

Methadone is a scary powerful drug. I’ve learned a lot more about the damage it does.

I’m glad I got rid of all those extra pills from the year taper. I don’t wish this upon anyone.

Pressing on.

Posted: November 9, 2019, 9:09 PM
Chronicpain congratulations on day 60!!! I promise it get better just continue to take one day at a time.

Posted: November 11, 2019, 7:41 AM
Thanks, Mojo.

I’m seeking to learn lessons of patience & trust in God’s wisdom.

Last night 6.5 hours sound sleep! Then another hour in and out, which has me up refreshed today.

The stomach issues has me doing more intermittent fasting which is good for my overall health.

I am wondering if a several day fast would help the resetting of the brain-stomach control?

Posted: November 15, 2019, 12:44 AM
Congrat's at getting off methadone!

check out vegan athletes documentary on Netflix. eliminating animal products might give you a boost.

there are many ways to fast. I'm sure you can find something that fits your routine.

You could intermittently fast and make your window of eating smaller each week. down to where you are eating one meal a day. or fast every other day or 36 hours every third day. you can vary the fast to fit your life.

after the fast ease into eating by starting w a light, vegan meal. that is also a good time to test a food if you think a food is causing you stomach issues.

happy fasting!

another good thing about fasting is that you don't have to waste time figuring out what to eat or going to the store. your grocery bill will decrease!

Overfifty55

Posted: November 17, 2019, 11:41 PM
Good evening randomperson:). It was so nice hearing from you. Congratulations on your CR commitment it’s awesome. I’m doing good thank you for asking. How’s things with you? Can you believe it 2 years and 3 years without methadone.Woo hoo we are rockstars. Anyways gonna watch Poldark so I have to cut this short. Have a beautiful week...............gobble gobble.........peace
Overfifty55

Posted: November 17, 2019, 11:43 PM
I posted on the wrong thread....sorry. How are you doing Chronicpain? Anyways sorry for the post.

Posted: November 19, 2019, 7:54 AM
Day 70

I am well, and am grateful for the inquiries.

PAWS depression seems about over.

I’ve been discouraged over my stomach and have been taking 2mg (single pill) of loperamide —I am concerned about this.

The high healthy (natural) fats have allowed me to fast, which has helped my stomach the past five days. I am starting the light exercise & believe when stomach is normalized, I can increase exercise.

The chronic pain is resolved.

The inflammation was the source.

Almost 15 years on methadone —it takes time to heal but improvement is steady.

Dry cough is gone.
Muscle pull from cough & sneezing resolved. (That was painful!)

Sneezing seems less.

Energy improving.

Insomnia slow improvement. The sleep is still broken but...
Rather than waking wide eyed, I’m falling back to sleep. I go for 4-6 hours straight, and now repeated sleep over the last few hours. It’s an improvement.

I look forward to 90 day mark as others have written about the decline of PAWS at this mark as the body produces increased endorphins.

I hope all are well.

This post has been edited by Chronicpain on November 19, 2019, 7:56 AM

Posted: November 27, 2019, 8:54 AM
Day 77

I am thankful to be out of chronic pain & off all medicines including methadone.

PAWS tests my patience but I know, and I remind myself, that all things work together for the good.

I am grateful for the testimonies found here.

It matters not if one became addicted through abuse or chronic pain—-the results are the same.

The accounts of victory here are inspirational.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
post replypost new topic