next >  post replypost new topic
Naltrexone Implant - Where To Get It?

Posted: November 21, 2004, 6:15 PM
Firstly, GREAT site!
Could any one please help. I have been addicted to heroin for the past 9 years and have tried everything from Ibogaine to rehabs to Revia. I live in South Africa and used Revia successfully until it has been discontinued from our shelves and needless to say, started using h again. I have done a lot of homework and realised that a Naltrexone implant is the solution for me and various other addicts. The only problem is that this wonder product is also not available in our country. Could anyone please inform me as to where I could buy a couple of these implants (for myself and other desperate h addicts). I have a doctor who will insert the implants for us. She has already done hundreds of implants in the UK and is well qualified and offers an after care.
I am prepared to fly anywhere to obtain these implants and would also like to know what the legalities surrounding it is. Should I first register the product in SA? Am I allowed to bring them into our country? Who manufactures Naltrexone implants?
Your help will be highly appreciated!!!!!

Posted: November 21, 2004, 10:13 PM
Hi my name is jasmine and I reed your post, what is that implant u r talking about, is it like herion? i have never done herion, but the two people whom i luved sooo much at ages 18 & 19 both died of overdoses. i know that stuff is soooooooooo addicting!! i am a pain killer lover, lol , so i can relate a little, and I use to be on 120mgs of methadone, heard its just like herion?? have u ever heard of methadone?? do they have that there?? i feel for you.. thanks jazzy

This post has been edited by Jasmine, fellow addict on November 21, 2004, 10:13 PM

--------------------
[color=purple]"just for today i will focus on my recovery, no matter what!, one day at a time, one day at a time,," the program works if you work it, so just work it..

we know that one pill is way to many and a thousand is never enough... thats the truth...

Jasmine/Mitzy
bille

Posted: November 21, 2004, 10:22 PM
it does not get you high it keeps you from using dope, you will feel sick, if taken, sounds like you are on a differnet wavelength

Posted: November 21, 2004, 11:13 PM
If Revia was discontinued consider your self lucky you have someone who cares about your well being .

if you really want an implant then just search the web.
Many doctors are willing to set you up,then have you buried as a routine drug overdose blaming you when you relapse ,when naltrexone does not treat addiction.

It's your choice,i pray you make the right one.

Posted: November 22, 2004, 1:28 AM
Sorry Bille and any one else who might have misunderstood me. I am desperately looking for the Naltrexone implant in order for me to stop using Heroin and to start a new sober life. The only problem is that it is not available in South Africa and I have to get it from a doctor, clinic or supplier in either the UK, USA or Australia. So what I am asking for is if someone could refer me to a doctor, clinic or supplier where I can get it for myself and a host of other addicts who desperately need this Naltrexone implant because we all choose a sober life.

Thank you and good luck to all and if we all can stop using drugs, then there is nothing we can't achieve in this life.
Juanita

Posted: November 22, 2004, 4:35 PM
Pierre, I have read your message and I understand that you want to live sober but have you ever seeked guideance or help from treatment centers? My boyfriend of 12yrs. is now in a center getting help with his addiction to heroin/crack. He has been there a month and is doing very well. It's all about choices and making the right ones! If you want to be clean do it without other medications I know that methadone is a non-narcotic but why risk another addiction? Go to NA meetings if possible and find support systems. I go to meetings with him for support and to learn about his addiction more. It helps him and myself. I have never been addicted to drugs or alcohol, sometimes its hard to understand but I'm a strong person who doesn't judge other peoples weaknesses because I believe you can change anything you want. So find someone who can help you and be supportive. It works!

Posted: November 22, 2004, 4:49 PM
Hi Pierre, just putting my 2cents in but be careful because i've heard some bad stuff about naltrexone implants, make sure you do your research first
GOODLUCK
Gabbi

--------------------

Today I am a new person and forgive ALL faults and transgressions of yesterdays life
user posted imageuser posted image
heroin girl

Posted: November 22, 2004, 5:12 PM

Pierre,

It's good to hear that you are ready for a change. I have a good friend in recovery who has gone the implant route. He has had great results. First, he saw a doctor who performed accelerated detox with him, as opposed to the more dangerous rapid detoxes done in the UK and the States. Then the doc inserted the implant, which helps him with cravings and blocks his opiate receptors. He really endorses the implant. The catch is that it must be replaced every so often. I guess that might be a prob for you? But this is his doctor's website (the doctor has an excellent reputation):

http://www.virginiadetox.com/naltre...xoneimplant.asp

The site has a lot of info on the whole proceedure and some alternatives.

Hope that helps some.

Posted: November 22, 2004, 5:32 PM
Juanita, i just reed your post and have to let u know that Methadone is a narcotic for sure, i was on it for two years and VERY addictive as well, geeting off of that was like geeeting off of herion i heard. , it was a huge nightmeare for me, let me tell you i was on it to maintence me while i was pregent w/my twin girls and i went thru hell geeting off c/t! and it is used for pain as well, so please be aweare it is narcotic and very addictive as well and i had people wanting to pay me $10.00 a pill , soo be aweare just my 2 cents, please dont be offended, i just had to say something.. take care..

--------------------
[color=purple]"just for today i will focus on my recovery, no matter what!, one day at a time, one day at a time,," the program works if you work it, so just work it..

we know that one pill is way to many and a thousand is never enough... thats the truth...

Jasmine/Mitzy

Posted: November 24, 2004, 1:39 AM
Naltrexone and Naltrexone implants today continue to cause accidental overdose in Opiate addicted patients.
They are still experimental and dangerous when relapse occurs .
Many medcial examiners do not check for Naltrexone in Autopsy.

Just because deaths are not reported , doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Addicts remain test animals all for profit and gain.

Posted: November 24, 2004, 8:12 AM
It's not the Naltrexone causing the deaths - it's the using of opiates on top of the Naltrexone that is causing death from overdose. This is something that is very much warned against when a patient is put on the Naltrexone or given the implant.
They are still dying from opiate overdose.

--------------------
You don't drown by falling in the water.
You drown by staying there.
Anonymous

Posted: November 24, 2004, 3:36 PM
It's not the Naltrexone causing the deaths - it's the using of opiates on top of the Naltrexone that is causing death from overdose. This is something that is very much warned against when a patient is put on the Naltrexone or given the implant.
They are still dying from opiate overdose.

Not so.

Naltrexone itself is a very potent opioid.
It is not known if Naltrexone barrier outlast blood serums.
An acceptable carrier was why the Implants do NOT have f.d.a. approval.
All the warnings of using mean nothing to addicted patients because Naltrexone is not treatment for addiction,it is a tool.

Naltrexone does not stop cravings and relapse remains high.
It is an abstinance based program that needs close supervision and monitoring.
Not all patients are blocked by the recommended 50 mg doses.
Suicide and overdose has been linked in trials to the drug Naltrexone.

Will the implants deliver the correct amount of the amount of Naltrexone to block your high or will it contribute to the overdose?

Leaving maintenance programs have been deadly for many when the addicts stops the Naltrexone.

Trials again 2 weeks to a month after leaving treatment overdose has occured.
Not because of loss of tolerance .

More research is needed to find out exactly who these "highly motivated patients" are as to who MAY be candidates for this treatment.

Overdose and Deaths are world wide during maintenance.

louis

Posted: July 6, 2012, 9:12 AM
There is a Dr. G Kirsten in Pretoria who can help you with this.

Posted: July 6, 2012, 10:24 AM
There seems to be so much confusion going on between posters on this topic. I did a 3 second search and found info. I support any all efforts to stay sober. I hope you are able to get info on where to get Naltrexone Implant. I myself use methadone yes it's addicting and hard to get off of but, it's still a good option. Methadone is not Naltrexone for the poster who did not know the diffrence. There seems to be some miss information going on with this thread. As with ANY drug used to help withdraw or stop craving to help stay off street drugs there is always risk!. Like methadone, Naltrexone is a tool the drug alone will not can not keep u sober...you should use it with other treatment toools.

What is Naltrexone Therapy and why is it important?

We believe that the ultimate goal of any opiate detoxification program is to have patients on Naltrexone. Naltrexone is a pure narcotic antagonist. That is, it attaches to the endorphin or opiate receptors in the brain and completely blocks them. This means that if someone tries to use any kind of opiate while they are on Naltrexone, they feel no effect because all of the receptors are completely blocked. While Naltrexone is in the body, it is virtually impossible to relapse. Naltrexone has been available as an oral tablet since the late 1970s. However, the oral tablet only has a duration of action of around 24 to 48 hours and in practice, it has been found that most patients either forget or purposefully choose not to take their medicine. Then in a short period of time they go back to using Heroin or other opiates. For this reason, we strongly recommend the Naltrexone implant. We believe that Naltrexone therapy should be given for 12 months. This gives the patient a chance to have their brain physically recover from the damage from the narcotics. It also gives the patient an excellent chance to begin on the road to recovery.

What is the Naltrexone implant?

This is a special formulation of Naltrexone, which is designed to release slowly over a 6-12 week period. It is placed under the patient's skin and so it is effective and does not allow the patient to forget or skip their medicine. We highly recommend it because it is so effective. There are some potential side effects with the Naltrexone Implant including infection, irritation or inflammation and sometimes even some skin breakdown over the implant site. Licensed pharmacists manufacture the implant for us. While the Naltrexone implant has not yet been submitted to the FDA for approval, the medications it contains are fully approved by the FDA.

Are there any risks and side effects?

As with any medical procedure, there are some risks and potential problems. There are some risks associated with the Naltrexone implant as mentioned above. There is some risk of taking the Naltrexone Therapy before the detoxification is complete. If taken too early, Naltrexone will push people into a complete withdrawal state and if the detoxification is not completely over, then there will be some withdrawal symptoms. If done too early, these can be severe. The timing of the Naltrexone Therapy is discussed in detail with each patient individually. It is to be expected that patients will feel some withdrawal symptoms but our treatment program should minimize these.

How long should I be on Naltrexone therapy?

We believe strongly that patients should be on Naltrexone therapy for at least twelve months. This prevents them from relapsing back to narcotic use and gives the patients a chance to start making changes in their lives and building up a support program. We highly recommend Naltrexone implants for at least 12 months. Patients may then continue with oral Naltrexone.

What happens after Naltrexone Implantation?

We believe strongly that detoxification without appropriate follow-up and treatment is almost always unsuccessful. We insist that all of our patients be willing to participate in an appropriate treatment program. This should include 12-step programs and professional therapy. We expect that all patients will identify and begin therapy with an appropriate substance abuse treatment facility in their area as soon as possible following the implantation. They will also need to be involved with a physician who specializes in substance abuse.

What is the risk of overdosing following treatment?

Studies show that there have been patients who have died following periods of abstinence from narcotics. This appears to be caused by lack of tolerance following a period of abstinence. Naltrexone is extremely good at making people abstinent but when the Naltrexone wears off, patients have a very low tolerance. It is extremely easy for them to use too much Heroin or other opiates and have an overdose which can be fatal. Patients need to understand this clearly and be extremely careful if they do relapse back to narcotic use. In our experience, the fatal overdoses that we are aware of have usually not happened on the first time of using and so patients need to be very careful for at least the first month. It also may be possible to overdose if the patients try to override their Naltrexone

This post has been edited by zerogirl77 on July 6, 2012, 10:32 AM

--------------------

The junk merchant doesn't sell his product to the consumer, he sells the consumer to the product. He does not improve and simplify his merchandise. He degrades and simplifies the client.

Posted: July 6, 2012, 4:45 PM
While I have stayed clean for 18+ years with the help of methadone I dont know enough about Naltrexone or the implants so I wont venture to comment.
Our most knowlegable advocate,Jack,is the one who would have some good info,but until he comes back on line that info will have to wait.
From what I'm reading it is not something to take lightly so please make sure to get good info before you do anything.
Good luck.
Granny

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]
Natraxone patient

Posted: August 21, 2012, 4:11 AM
Hey there, I'm now 30days+ clean and went for a naltraxone implant on the 11th of september2012. I'v been and jaill and 7 rehabs over the last few years, i have tried everything to stop using heroin, but i find its easy to get clean using methadone and subaxone, or supertex .It helps u through the withdraws yes and u get clean for a week or so, but the thought of using after being clean for week or two, is SO obsessive, and compulsive in my mind being an H addict that i find myself using again,so getting meds to get clean doesnt work for me, or rehabs or jail as my last rehab was worst then jail, Addictive as i am i always re llaps on the thought of how "f***ed Im gone get being clean for week or two" before i know it I 'm using again. I never have the change to rebuild my live because i always re laps, but now that i went for this implant I cant get high anymore, so there is no high and trust me, the first thing I did after I went for this implant is I went to use H... with no luck whatsoever, and I tried again when I had a rather off-day. NOTHING! NO HIGH!, so no point. I' now have the change to get work, follow NA program and stay clean no matter what, I'ts just important to go for you follow up implant even if it take 2-3years if thats what it takes for me to reprogram my addict mind thats what i'll do.. I thank my higher Power every day for Naltraxone, Dr kirsten in pta, my mom that never gave up on me and still allowed me back in her house, when i was on the street, after all these years of abuse and thousends of money, and pain If caused her. Its the WONDER DRUG! If your an addict, a Heroin Addict give ur self a chance in life and go for an Naltraxone implant. Cuz if u are like me then u know 1 is to many and a 1000 never enough(NA). Love & peace!
family of user

Posted: September 5, 2012, 7:32 AM
I dont know what to do and need advise from you guys. My sister has been an heroin addict for about 9 years now. In and out out of re-habs and lately jail. She is 27. The moment when she came out the same day she was taken to Dr Kirsten for implant. So she said that is doesnt work and got another on. So the second one got septic and fell out. But what worries me is that she still uses drugs why? 2 of her friends got the same implants and it works for them? why not for her? So what I need to know is if the implant worked for you, did it and why not for her

Posted: September 5, 2012, 8:15 PM
Family of user,
I'm sorry to say I dont have an answer for you. I am not familiar enough with the implants to help you. Please look around this site a little further because it seems to me there are other folks here that may be able to answer your questions.Also you might check with her doctor,this Dr.Kristen, and see what she says,although she may not talk to you...doctor privledge and all that??
Good luck,
Granny

This post has been edited by Granny2 3 on September 5, 2012, 8:18 PM

--------------------

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]
HAlbers

Posted: January 11, 2013, 8:34 AM
Hi, a minute ago i saw the ongoing discussion about the use of naltrexone implants. To me it looks like as if there is a lot of misunderstanding about this. To make a long story short: I was on H for some time and failed all attemps of detox. I finally ended up in Klinikum-Salzgitter doing a detox under anesthesia where I had my first naltrexone pellet. Since than I did not relapse and one of the good things about naltrexone pellets is that they stop the craving, so got a chance to go back to normal life (what I did know for more than three years, still using the implants).
But you got to be careful: Using naltrexone pellets means you will have an overdose reaction when you use H - have this in mind!!! If you know some german you can look it up on
www.stop-drugs.de
Stay clean
HAlbers

P.S.: From the pharmacological side naltrexone is a long acting opiate-antagonist, saying if you use naltrexone while you are still on H you will go to hell

Posted: January 11, 2013, 5:13 PM
HALbers,
thank you so much for that information.

Alot of folks here in the U.S. are trying Suboxone and similiar drugs, but they dont seem to stop the cravings at all, which cause a big problem.
I have heard of the way yours was done. Really interesting.... and if it works???? Even better yet.

--------------------

post replypost new topic