Drug Testing
Posted: August 9, 2018, 10:20 AM

In another post, a member talked about drug testing.  My personal experience has been terrible in this regard and was looking for others stories.

My stepdaughter (SD) was caught and admitted to drugs and alcohol last fall.  After continued therapy and no drug testing (as they believed her when she said she quit), she got drunk off her butt in front of her father.  He decided at that time to drug test her weekly until we could get her in rehab.  She passed home test after home test "proving" she was clean until we found out she was using someone else's urine.  The next test was supervised by me and wouldn't you know that she failed. 

Got her into outpatient treatment.  They were supposedly going weekly drug tests that she was supposedly passing.  Yet DAILY  I found drugs in her room.

So who else trusts drug tests and who doesnt?  And why?

--------------------
Rahne
I battled my own addiction only to be buried by another's...
Posted: August 9, 2018, 12:10 PM

I don't trust the drug test much. My kid passes hers on her probabtion visits. The tests need to be specific for the drug of choice,and some drugs clear the system quicker then others. My daughter admitted to doing meth but can pass a drug test in two days.
Posted: August 9, 2018, 12:51 PM

I don't think they are helpful and add to the stress of the situation.

Posted: August 9, 2018, 5:55 PM

The drug test we use are specific and have a temperature strip so that it is fresh. He is watched when he gives us a sample. I think it keeps him accountable. He may be asked at any time to take one. They use drug testing at sober houses too.

Parenting2 - Please share why you think it adds stress.
I am new to this site and would like to understand.
Posted: August 9, 2018, 6:28 PM

Hi Noodle,

Looking back on my response, I guess it really is child specific. When we tried to do this, it caused endless arguing and drama. In order to be effective, I think you have to be in the bathroom with the child. My child acted like he would just die if his dad was in the bathroom. We compromised on leaving the door ajar. We heard strange noises that we thought were him messing with a bottle (tamper materials or someone else urine?). Plus, we felt he started using drugs that would get out of his system faster. Basically, for us, because he has such behavior issues it was a nightmare. Really our decision was based on the very difficult nature of our son. In balancing out the stress from what we gained from the drama, we decided to drop it. To make matters more stressful, a counselor at detox backed up his story that one of the tests could have been from contamination on pipe used for pot (came up for spice). He used this excuse constantly then. We basically decided that we could mostly tell from his behavior...mostly.

I could see it working for some families. I was probably too hasty in my response. Just remembering the nightmare of days past. : )
Posted: August 10, 2018, 10:19 AM

I have found that home drug testing is a battle and can be expensive over time. A drug user has many excuses and stories. They will pass the test and think they are free to use right after. They don’t expect back to back testing. Many drugs are out of their system in a few days. They use fake urine and flush their systems to pass scheduled tests. They will usually deny it completely if they fail a test. Doesn’t matter if it’s written in black and white ... they didn’t do it. Mine always tells me he has been clean for X amount of time which is usually a long period even though I know for a fact he used last week. They don’t want to admit anything and when they fail a test there is always some story. Catch them with drugs in their hand and they will tell you it isn’t theirs or you are seeing things.

--------------------
BUGS
Posted: August 11, 2018, 9:57 AM

Ugh....bugginme.....so true! Unfortunately, I have lived this nightmare, also. Not to hijack this thread, but one day, I had a conversation with a "friend" (drug dealer, more than likely) that was in my backyard. My son claimed there was no one there. And, kept up with the denial to this day. Nobody was in my backyard and he has no idea what I am talking about. So, to get this back on track---in many cases, drug testing just leads to lots of drama. But, it might work for some.
Posted: August 13, 2018, 11:26 AM

Thank you all for sharing. I needed to understand the reasons why drug testing wasn't a great idea. I have an adult son we test on occasion. I just read a thread that someone was distraught about the possibility that there loved one relapsed, and I just thought an easy way to find out is to test. A surprise test may eliminate some doubts too.
Thank you again for sharing.
  top of page  Top