next >  post replypost new topic
On A Healthy Note-tell Me Something About You...

Posted: July 25, 2019, 8:31 AM
In the spirit of detachment, I thought I would start a post to get us off our addiction and obsession with trying to save our loved ones. : )

This thread only has one requirement-you cannot mention your addicted loved one. I'd love to hear about a hobby you have or a trip you took or a dream you have or a place you love!

I'll start. I absolutely love going to remote, wilderness areas. Whether by boat or foot, it gets me through life. I like the challenge of fending for myself and love the quiet! I could live out of a pack for over a year, I swear. : )

As far as a recent trip, I had to go to Banff for a work trip. I live a long ways away and had never been anywhere like that! It was so magical, like I had been dropped into another world. Even though I was slightly afraid of grizzlies (we have none here! : ), I went for a hike with a group of other people. What a gorgeous hike, with breathtaking views.

Okay, anyone else?

Posted: July 25, 2019, 6:18 PM
Ok think what has helped me a lot, I use to crochet years and years ago, would love going to my grandmas who was blind and she taught me how to crochet, never then did it for years, but a counciller asked what I enjoy doing, any hobbies, never been one to excercise( I should and always going to) I said crocheting, so from then I stared and always have some on the go, always babies been born, love to make throws, just find it relaxes me,

Posted: July 25, 2019, 11:06 PM
Thanks for sharing P2 and sad eyes, so neat! I enjoy about once a month going to an estate sale and going to vintage shops. I pick out a few pieces I love and then I sell them to a private party. This is fun for me because I enjoy the hunt and really like learning about the pieces I buy. I make a pretty good profit which supplements my income. The lady I sell to is quite comfortable financially and we happen to have the same taste. I also enjoy spending time with my cat.

Posted: July 26, 2019, 11:08 AM
This is such a good and needed topic! My hobby is my motorcycle. I love to ride it is very freeing just you and the road. It gives you an outlet to just be and get away. My favorite place to ride to is a lighthouse that is about 2 1/2 hours away. It is a quiet place that many don’t know about so you can just enjoy the sounds of the waves crashing, birds chirping and the smell of the salt air.

Posted: July 26, 2019, 3:51 PM
This is GREAT! It is nice to feel like a whole human. : )

I used to crochet with my Grandma when I was little. I would just make a loooong chain. Still fun!

That is an interesting hobby to find treasures. It sounds very satisfying and rewarding to locate good finds.

Ahhh, I can feel the peace, AM. I don't know how to ride, but I have a dream of owning a moped. My husband said everyone will mock me. ha! I think it is about my speed, though!

Thanks for sharing everyone! P2

Posted: July 26, 2019, 5:44 PM
How cool to own a moped P2 , think it's a great idea speeding of into the sunset wind blowing through ones hair🤗🤗

Posted: July 26, 2019, 7:48 PM
I love to hike or roller ski. I try to get in 30 miles a week. I usually load up my phone with PoD casts ,throw a bottle of water and some fruit in my back pack and go where ever my feet lead me.

Posted: July 28, 2019, 9:53 PM
Wow! 30 miles a week is great! I love to hike, also. My therapy for sure. : )

Posted: July 29, 2019, 6:00 PM
I diamond paint. You know, the kits that are basically paint by numbers but instead its glue diamonds onto the numbers instead. I work for hours/days/weeks to complete one, just for me to log it in my book and stow away in a drawer. I've told my kids that they'll have to figure out what to do with all of them when I pass. There'll be hundreds by then. Until then, I just keep gluing and chucking to myself knowing they are going to just stand there, staring at drawers full of them, saying "what the hell, mom?". Hahaha.

--------------------
Rahne
I battled my own addiction only to be buried by another's...

Posted: July 30, 2019, 1:01 AM
Gee that's a lot of miles a week, wish I had the stamina to do that, also I have started like clay modelling, it's called Fimo light, little shells, urchins etc, trying to make a picture out of it, although it's slow going I have to be in the mood, but it's fun, just finished my throw, making Pom poms ATM, so I'll give it to my other son and partner, I hope they don't give it to the bloody dog as a new blanket🤔🤔

Posted: July 30, 2019, 5:28 PM
What a great idea P2.
I was kinda sad today and reading this post is like opening the window on a crisp fall day and just breathing it all in.
I love to travel. I used to work for Northwest Airlines in MN which is what started the travel bug in me. I could fly for free but it was standby so isn't always the greatest have spent hours at the airport waiting to get on a flight. Delta took over and now I fly very low on the list so I am scared to go to many places. I still work and am afraid I won't get home. My husband and I did go to Cabo San Lucas this year in April - it is beautiful it is desert no humidity and lovely weather. I told him if we didn't get away I was going to commit myself lol. We also took our granddaughter to San Diego.

I also love to snowmobile in Northern Wisconsin and MN.
I also enjoy the sun and love boating. Give me the sun and all stress just melts away.

Thank you for thinking of such a great idea! I love reading all your posts.

Posted: July 31, 2019, 6:36 PM
I'm so glad it helped!!!!!! When I started this thread, I just realized how I was limiting my "self" and my "life" so much. I wanted to celebrate other parts of life, I guess. I am glad it is refreshing to others!

The diamond painting reminds me of felt painting I did as a kid. It was the same concept, but you rubbed what looked like minced felt over the sticky. Also, did some sand ones. Amazing how relaxing that is!!

Posted: July 31, 2019, 6:38 PM
I love the Northern MN area. And, around Superior especially. I have always wanted to fly standby (cheap!) but never really understood how it worked or how long I might have to wait. : ) I love to fly, also. yes, great learning about everyone and their interests. Peace!

Posted: September 3, 2019, 11:07 PM
Hello,

I'm still here and so are the problems with my son. Got better for a while, but you all know the drill.

I do a good solid workout in the morning, work, and then usually scrapbook at night. Scrapbooking reminds me that we have shared some really good times.

I'm losing friends. My own doing because I don't want to share whats going on. Heck, I can't even tell my family.

I've enjoyed reading this thread. I should learn to crochet :-)

So very thankful for this group.

--------------------
I read all the parenting books, we played together, they played with friends. I was there for them before and after school, they played hockey and soccer, we went on holidays. I thought I was doing it right.

Posted: September 4, 2019, 3:19 PM
Oh Momfail-

Talking about friends who love you will be there for you and it really does help. I wish you could give one of your friends or family members a chance.

I have to tell you something - I really don't like your name.. You couldn't have failed. You are on this site because your son made a bad choice. He has a disease and you didn't cause it and cannot control it or cure it. I know also just by being on here you care and that proves that you were the best mom you could be.
None of us were perfect!
Please don't be so hard on yourself.

I just got kinda bothered by your name and you losing friends. You shouldn't be ashamed at your son's choice and his disease. There is no shame in being an addicts mom. You might want to check out "The Addicts Mom" its a forum someone on this site recommended and it has some very interesting information on it. Check it out.

Please take care.
Hope I made some sense for you today.

Posted: September 4, 2019, 11:05 PM
I don't think we should question each other's name. It's highly personal. I know you mean well Noodle and I always find your posts very helpful. I don't mean to offend you in any way....and of course this is my opinion. As a mom of an adult child with an addiction, we are fi!led with so many emotions. Its very overwhelming and sadly there is fallout. Even when we are functioning fairly well, it's right there below the surface...a heartache that never goes away.

Posted: September 5, 2019, 1:38 PM
I am sorry. I didn't mean to upset anyone on this site.
I apologize with all who I am if I offended you Mom and Sally.

I just think all moms shouldn't blame themselves. Truly, we all do the best that we can.

Thank you for your response Sally... Someone has to keep me in place.

Posted: September 5, 2019, 7:23 PM
Noodle you're fine...I know you mean well 100%. Please keep posting you're a jewel! I really wish I could not feel badly about my daughter's addiction and how she is living her life. Even though I have pretty good boundaries etc..I still find it extremely sad and heartbreaking.

Posted: September 6, 2019, 12:28 AM
Noodle, I'm not offended. I've got a pretty thick skin right up until it involves this son of mine, and boy, oh boy, do I question all I've done every single day. I know it's a disease and it is his choice. Sallyanna you're right, it's a heartache that's right beneath the surface. Always there.

That being said, does anyone have plans for the weekend? We have a friend's wedding celebration to go to.

Parenting2, I would drive to Banff if it weren't for the wedding, I love it there too.

BTW,search #momfail on instagram it's a good giggle (no where near as as serious as mine). The hashtag was trending when I made my user name. And if you don't want call me momfail, you can call me Cee.

This post has been edited by #momfail on September 6, 2019, 4:50 PM

Posted: September 10, 2019, 3:29 PM
I am a wife, mother & grandmother! Married 40 years, retired in 2011. Left our house, town, friends, etc. to move to a remote area & create our own life. Not what the kids need, not what my grandkids want, not what anyone wanted, just us. Friends thought I had lost my mind or thought my hubby was forcing me to leave. I have never regretted a single day. I see my kids & grandkids a couple of times a year & same with friends. I've started a new hobby - photography! I love wildlife photography! People, landscapes - not so much.

Even though none of us have ever met, I appreciate every situation shared & advice given. We are all parents & we did the best we could. None of us are perfect, hell, sometimes I'm not even mediocre! I've failed many times, but I know I did the best I knew how.....

(Momfail- I don't share with my friends or family either.... OK, back to the positive posts!) :)
post replypost new topic