next >  post new topic
Getting Off Nurofen Plus

Posted: June 14, 2014, 1:11 PM
Don't know why I'm doing this, all I know and hold on to is never giving up. So maybe keeping a diary will help me. I have always hated to wright. For a start my spelling is just awful and I never know what to say.
Well I need to get off Neurofen plus ( codiene and Iburprofen) Its been a good five years.
Have tried so many times to quite cold turkey and just can not seem to be able to do it.
So I am left with trying a quick taper so I can at least still function to look after my daughter. I have tried a couple times in the past to do so but not on a serious try.
So today I am down to take 17. It started with 30 two days ago went to 23 and 19 yesterday. My only rule is to as least take one less every day. I have to be careful now I really feel the anxiety creeping in. Need to take the taper a bit slower, not so many less at one time or I will bust. Its 3am and I am at work. I have 17 in my bag but will wait. Need to be careful. Have to make this work. Don't know what else to do. I know I know everyone thinking you can't taper it just can't be done. I don't know any other way at the moment. Cold turkey leaves me unable to function, actually can not move. Daughter needs to be feed, bathed, looked after.
So will try it this way.
Maybe already dropped to fast, to late now can't up my dose. Do have the anxiety put can function. Have to function.
Today will be a long day no sleep until tonight, have to keep busy. Haved lined up to see a friend in the afternoon so daughter can at least play with some friends for a while. Will be able to sit down then and relax some but until then will take my 17 and keep busy.

Posted: June 16, 2014, 6:52 AM
Well today has been ok, can't say the same for yesterday. After getting off night shift and getting through the day on auto pilot by the time 5pm came round I took another 16 pills, so not great. Today I have had 15 and don't feel to bad. Have decided to try and leave taking them until the afternoon. Have had some anxiety but can certainly function. Guess all I can do is to keep going. I feel happy that I am taking half the amount I'm used to but am all to aware of how this can go down hill. I just don't know what else to do. I really should go to some meetings. Dam this, I just want to wake up and be like everyone else out there who does not suffer from addiction and think about other things instead of pills.
Early shift tomorrow so will leave the pills until after work. Can only take 14. s*** this Is going to get hard.

I have to function, feeling hot and cold

Posted: June 22, 2014, 2:18 AM
Am still around, have not had the best few days. Taper not going well. Tomorrow I start on champix. I took it to stop smoking which did help. I quit the smokes three months ago so am hoping the champix will help to get off the pills. I have heard that other people have taken this medication with good results. All I can do is try. Can't give up. I feel like I have been at this for way to long and I should have stopped all this long ago.
Feel completely alone. Am tired and feel helpless.
Will check in tomorrow.

Posted: June 23, 2014, 7:30 AM
Started the champix today. Ended up taking those evil pills to. What the hell am I doing. Husband was home sick from work so I used that as an excuse. Taper does not work for me it seems, I know some people can do it but not me. I was just fooling myself. Tomorrow it's cold turkey, there's just no other way for me, have the next two days off from work. There is a meeting tomorrow night, I'm afraid to go back, I haven't been in a few months. My house and finance are falling to bits. Have been to tired to care about doing house work and to keep a check on the money. My husband does nothing to help, he has his own health problems to ( nothing to do with drugs ). I know for sure I need out of my marriage, I'm tired of allowing my husband to treat me like s***, am tired of his laziness ( I can't talk as I have been just as lazy ). I need to pull this house back together so that I can get out. So tomorrow i start again. I can't give up, I have a beautiful 5yr old daughter who depends on me. I know this sounds awful but she can do without her father but she can not do without me. I know that is not a nice thing to say but unfortunately it is true. I have been trying to make my marriage work for 11 yrs, I have tried to get him to have a relationship with his daughter but he is just not interested. I feel so alone so I stuff pills down my throat to numb myself. It has been so long since I have actually felt anything natural. My mind is ready and I think the champix is doing some good. It's hard to tell. I AM READY to take back my life. My god I'm in for a bumpy ride. All I know is I can't give up. I have been around this recovery board for the last six months and I know I have not come very far. I am ashamed every time I log on but I have decided that if I can stick around even though there has not been a lot of progress then maybe others will come back and start again.

Posted: June 25, 2014, 8:01 PM
Two days later, things are not bright. Have taken some champix however i don't think this is the answer. Feel quite low. I lay awake at night in total panic, the next day my mind starts ticking over. I don't know what else to say.

Posted: June 28, 2014, 8:48 AM
Today I am clean of NP, I am on edge and even drove past a chemist on my way to do my night shift tonight. Thank goodness they were already closed or who knows. I was actually relieved that they were not open. I feel pretty low and scared. My cravings are there but I can manage at the moment. Am getting stomach cramps so I should probably hit the Imodium.
Have lined my day up tomorrow with a birthday party my daughter wants to go to in the morning then on to catch up with my sister in the afternoon.
It seems like it was a walk in the park to give up smoking put this codiene is another matter. My doctor has given me a small amount of valium to use for the next week if I need it to help with the anxiety. I always remember the very first 2 NP that a friend gave me for a headache I had, I will always remember how other then fix the headache it also made me feel calm. Thats all it took. I do believe the seed had been planted long before this. However being in a toxic marriage was what made taking more and more codiene much eaiser to justify.

Posted: July 5, 2014, 7:48 AM
I did wright here today but lost the lot. pissed off. arrrg

Posted: July 11, 2014, 4:28 AM
I just finished writing down some thoughts and lost the lot, why does this happen so often.

Well its been a month since I started this diary and I have nothing to really be proud of.

I wrote quite alot before I lost it and I don't have the energy to try and get the whole thing out again.

taking a leap of faith is what it really came down to.
I have been at this struggle for to long

Posted: July 14, 2014, 7:14 PM
I have one more shift to do in two days after which I have organised to have 7 days off work.
If I'm going to do this, it is now or never. It has taken a long time to get this many days off work in a row. Tomorrow I want to clean the house and get the food shopping done then work the next day so Friday will be my first day off work, I am a 38yrs old and if I continue to take these pills I will not be here at 48yrs and my daughter will not have a mother.
Please If anyone reads this, keep me in your prayers.

Posted: August 5, 2014, 3:56 PM
Nothing changes if nothing changes a wise women here has said on many occasions. Day four I'm heading into with out neurofen plus and to say the least it sucks, abdo pain, running to the toilet, can't sleep. Feel completely tired and agro. Don't know what to do with myself, I try and clean which keeps me moving and am trying to keep my emotions in check when it comes to my precious daughter.
My husband is of no help, no idea what so ever. He knows ex actually what I do but says nothing. He actually uses it against me so he can go and get his DOC being pot when he can get money out of me. I tell you one thing there will not be any money for quite some time as we are broke. After his DUI we owe the courts $1000 and also the truck he ran up another $47000 plus we had to increase our personal lone another $16000 so we don't have to bucks to rub together. But let me tell you it doesn't stop him asking me.
So like is not a bed of roses right now however we have food on the table and we both have jobs which is a lot more then others have so I need to be grateful for my blessings.
Thanks for reading
Bec

Posted: August 23, 2014, 9:11 AM
I'm still here, I don't know why, its only by the grace of God. I have lost who I am. I keep trying. I am beyound scared. I'm so lonley. I feel like I am slipping away. I need help.
All I can do is keep trying. Please keep me in your prayers.
Bec

Posted: October 8, 2014, 6:59 PM
Well I'm still kicking on and trying my best. .... Had some blood tests done, results were mostly positive considering, low iron and Hb levels which is to be expected.
Have my parents involved now and they are helping me do a slow taper, so I check in with them at least every two days.
Started off taking 30 a day am now down to 25 so. At present I am doing 1 less per week.
Its a hard road. This addiction has been all so consuming that I am scared of who I am without it. What do I do when there are no pills to take. Sounds stupid... but thats just how I feel. I'm sure I'm not alone on this.

Will check in soon

Bec

Posted: October 17, 2014, 7:10 AM
I feel that time is closing in on me and I need to make a decision. Do I want to die with this disease or from this disease. Life is so short and I just don't want to give any more of it to this addiction. Its taken enough and I have sat by and watched it disapear. I need to get up and fight. I need to put as much energy into recovery as I have done with my addiction. What is it going to take. It has already robbed me of my joy and my health. If want this all back. I want my life back !!!!!!

Posted: October 20, 2014, 7:56 PM
its been 24 hours and no neurofen plus, am feeling edgey, but thats nothing compared to what it is going to be like in another two days. Try not to think that far ahead. .....Got to keep busy....At work at the moment, work as an RN on the phones so there is no access to drugs thank god. This job is the only thing that has stopped me from losing my licence to practice as a nurse...... This taper thing just dosn't work for me, I think I have known that all along but the whole cold turkey just frightened me way to much...... went to the doctor yesterday and let him know whats been going on and if I don't do something about it then death IS my only option...... He prescribed me a small amount of valium to take only when the anxiety is two much so I am going to hold on to those until the last minute........Husband seems to have picked his game up a bit, he has been put on antidepresants over the last month and there seems to be some improvement, he has become somewhat motivated...... He has always known about my NP addiction and even the amount I have taken over the years but for some reason has been incapable of helping me......guess his had his own issues going on......anyway I sit here at work, I only have to do two days this week so that will help...... need to pick up some immodium on the way home.

Posted: October 21, 2014, 9:13 PM
50 hours into this hell hole...... Hot and cold, short tempered, abdo cramps..... Managed to get out and buy a vacuume and get home. Had to buy a new washing machine last week as everything seems to have broken down. Feel like I have no idea what to do with myself..... Picked up some crampeze from the chemist........sposed to help with muscle cramps, spasms and restless legs. So will give that a go tonight.........stopped taking the immodium, was making me neausea. At least I have some maxalon if I need it........my mum's not happy, she wanted me to stick to the taper way, but as I told my dad it just was not working, I was cheeting and lying about it so cold turkey it is........have put some dinner on and after school I have to take my daughter to dancing so I am going to have to muster some energy up for that.......I have no interest in eating or drinking and I know I should be drinking plenty of water I just keep gagging on it. I have had to take two no dose tabs which is just caffeine tabs to try and give me a bit of. Boost, the only downfall with those is they tend to dry u out and when u can't even manage to drink water it can't be good.......... Well I might get the vacuume out of the car and try and get it working......I spent more then I really should have on the bloody think but the guy was kind enough to shave $100 of the price..... I jut had to do a bit of flirting. .....hehe

Posted: October 22, 2014, 10:30 PM
78 hours in and I feel like i could crawal the walls, can't stop my legs from moving. I have no appatite and am flat out drinking water, not good......this sucks but it has to be done......last night I had the dreaded restless leg syndrome, bloody awful.. The only thing i have founf to helfp is using the compressing stockings which you can get from the chemist.......i had mine from when i had my little girl and then over the top I purchased two large brown stretch bandages and wraped them very very tightly around my legs which did give me some relief enough to get some sleep.....just a tip for anyone who may want to try it.........made it to work today then i have four days off, thank goodness.....All i think about is codiene and I try so hard to direct my thoughts its exausting......this site has been a life saver and I don't know how I would have managed to do with out it ,......such lovely people how continue to offer me encouragment.........i just can't fail now.

bec

Posted: October 23, 2014, 11:04 PM
Well it's now four days and no codeine....... Had a good sleep last night and no restless legs. Woke up ok but absolutely no energy......I feel like I'm 100 yrs....went to an AA meeting last night it was good they welcomed me back with open arms......it's now the afternoon and things are bad ......real bad.......I'm so angry one minute and am crying the next.......then I have my head in the toilet throwing up.......my head is going a mile a minute......I really want to do something......even clean but I'm just to tired.......I pick up three things then have to sit down and catch my breath......husband came home so we got out of the house for an hour to pick up a few things........I so wanted to hire one of those motorized wheel chairs to get around In the super market. Lol.......I was exhausted just walking up and down the mall.......have to pick my daughter up soon and she will want to play........the one disadvantage of having one child......u have to entertain them........she's a great kid though.....really no trouble at all......my head is just screaming at me to give it its fix........but I try and block it out.......it's dam hard.....feel like I want to punch something.......anything......need to calm down.....I just want this day to be over.....I really hope things are better tomorrow as I have a full day and I need the energy to get through it......at the moment I am taking one minute at a time......just trying to concentrate on my breathing and the fact that I am not dying.

Posted: October 26, 2014, 4:11 AM
6 days and no codeine........unfortunately........I did slip today.......had a night out......few drinks and some pot......plus a heap of cigs......no sleep......was hung over.......husband happened to have brought his endone meds with him and I caved........ended up taking four of them........there was no excuse.......even though it wasn't neurofen plus it was still a narcotic.......so now I feel at a loss.......do I start all over again.....I feel like I have thrown 6 days of sobriety down the toilet........what I won't do is let this get me down.......I just have to pick myself up and carry on......tomorrow is a new day......day one or day seven......I don't know....well that's a bloody lie.....of course I know a narcotic is a narcotic.......so back to square one......I was so proud of my self and now I just sit here in self loathing.......not a very productive feeling.......so need to snap out of it........no more ciggs for me and I really should stay away from the pot......it may help keep me a little carm but a drug is a drug........and I really don't want to replace one habit with another.........dam addiction is a b****.

Posted: October 27, 2014, 3:02 PM
8 days no codiene but only two completly sober from narcotics. It's 5 am, have to get up at 6 then off to work........took the rest of the Valium so now m on my own.......husband will pick up some more pot to keep the edge of.......like to have a small one at tinght to help, my sleep........can't do that for two long.........or once again. Have another habit.......big day today......will then take daughter to karate .......then on to bathing, feeding.........and of course an AA meeting.

Posted: October 28, 2014, 9:03 PM
Day 9 no neurofen plus but only day three no narcotics due to the bloody endone.........have been smoking a little pot and I have to say it does help.........I really don't like the stuff all that much makes me think way to much about life and what's it all about but I did sleep.......no restless legs........didn't even need my stockings.........went to the GP today to get a mental health plan written up so I can get 6 free visits with a psychologist........I do like our health care system here in Aus.........went to AA meeting last night and it was packed.......I did get asked to share so I thought if it can help someone I will do it so I did..........I'm so bloody tired......no energy what so ever.........have decided to help out at my daughters schol on a wednesday arvo which is today dam it.........but I won't let her down she is counting on seeing me come she loves me helping out in the class room so I will go........then she has dancing........it never ends.......at the moment I feel like this is so not worth it and what is the bloody point I feel awful.........I just have to keep believing it is going to get better that's all I have right now.