< prev  next >  post replypost new topic
Has Anyone Successfully Stopped Taking Methadone?
The Recharger

Posted: June 1, 2013, 12:54 PM
Just for my benefit...and to whomever...I was on OxyContin for over 2-3 years, then Vicodin, then methadone along with many others in the mix (soma, flexeril, ultram, Percocet, Xanax...etc etc) and I have been sober for 3 years. It was NOT easy, but it can happen...and yes, even as I'm typing this..I do have some thoughts of "I wish I could have one more" but to be honest, once you get over the "hump" in detox, it's almost like a brand new way of looking at things...you really look and say to yourself "why did I even bother taking those?!" Just in the same manner as you do while taking it and saying "how can I NOT take these". I've had issues with the law, family, money and even employment all due to these damn drugs (ie prescription pain killers) but in the end, it's almost a new high being without them. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't easy, but it CAN AND WILL HAPPEN IF YOU WANT IT. The slow detox is best, but I found that if you keep some around, and abstain from it as long as possible, I mean until it hurts...BAD...then take as little as possible to get by/sleep...then last as long as possible and rinse and repeat. It's not easy like I said, but it works...I'm proof.

Posted: June 1, 2013, 8:24 PM
Hey recharger!!
Thanks for taking the time to come and post here!!! We need all the good stuff we can get to let people know there IS hope out there for anyone who is willing to try!!!!

Don't be a stranger!!

Granny

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]
tingtong

Posted: January 1, 2014, 1:49 AM
accept every mistake that i have done and thinking like it will always be remembered by those each and every people who knows it and thinking of a way to live with it. no matter what it takes you have to think that it is okay and it will be fine meth to me was like a demon that is always there when time gets tough when im sad or depressed meth was like calling me to run and forget but i set my mind and think that i do not need to react with my sadness or depression find a way to forget it like make someone slap me or make me happy, speaking my mind that i must get back in line of having a normal life it is a damn hard thing honesty in your mistakes wont help it but sincerity to accept all the consequence and prepare for everyday that something will always surprise us to be happy yes its true but sometimes its surprise us to be sad to be to down to make u run when i receive those surprise i always just believe in him and wait for him and waking up in other day with like everything is ok drugs or alcohol are dangerous STRONG bad vices just remember that it was a man made to make money made to fool people it always depends on you how long or when will you let it fool and make you look stupid it is just in our mind but u can let it go when you think of those vices
tingtong

Posted: January 1, 2014, 2:07 AM
hope is everywhere anywhere u can always look on it if you need it you just dont have to depend on it, go stand your feet and know that no person or things will take you wherever you wanted to be it was just you who let your self stuck in those situations so it is for you to decide, because depression sadness or tough situations in life it just a test for you to face hope is there do not let yourself to be in a maze just believe wait and have faith that u will see a better way

Posted: January 7, 2014, 11:17 PM
Well, hey Jack. I must say I am saddened to hear that you are still going thru so much stuff. I was hoping that maybe you had finally got on a clinic, at least for a little while on a low dose,just until you could get your surgery out of the way, then when you aren't in so much pain you would be in a better frame of mind to really do a good detox.....but you are a stubborn butt. Kidding, really.. I am glad Jeannie is there for you.
You know yourself, what you can and cant take. I am pulling for you and I am glad to see you here as we need your advice and input. Like I've said I am SO far behind you in knowledge.I am 100% behind you my friend...I wish you the best.

Have you read the posts from Eckie and Bob????(Dirty Dingus) I was so tickled to hear that Eck finally got on methadone and is doing so well, he says, and Bob sounds good too. Makes it so worthwhile to hear someone finding the way to being clean after struggling for so long...warms my heart.

How is your son?? My Gkids started school again yesterday after being out for 17 days. I miss getting to sleep in:(

I just got this dumb new tower up and am figuring it out. The programs are SO different! The last computer we had was like 6-7 years ago..ALOT has changed. Right now,even on maximum screen this thing isn't much bigger than a regular 8X11 sized piece of paper, but its better that not having anything.

Take care,
Granny

--------------------

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]

Posted: January 15, 2014, 5:54 PM
Hi Granny-\

Yeah still off methadone- -wish I could say all was going well- - but-
I'm still with pain mant - -it will get better

--------------------
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
— Hunter S. Thompson[COLOR=blue]

Posted: January 28, 2014, 3:41 PM
fuc- - its been a struggle-

to be contd-

--------------------
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
— Hunter S. Thompson[COLOR=blue]
charcole

Posted: April 4, 2014, 3:19 PM
Hello,

I was on methadone for eight years, four of those years at the methadone clinic and most of that time I was on a dose of 120 mgs a day. After trying unsuccessfully on my own to quit, I went into treatment and they detoxed me for ten days using librium. It helped tremendously to get through the roughest part, but I still had to suffer tremendously during and after the librium with a lot of muscle pain, inability to lie still, restless leg syndrome, insomnia, and depression. I made it through it though, and every day it was just a tiny bit easier.

I have ninety days free from methadone and all other drugs now, the aches and pains are long gone and I can lie still. Other than a rare night, I sleep fine. What has helped me the most was a combination of getting on the right psyche meds for me, a combination of antidepressants and a mood stabilizer, and getting into recovery. I attend NA meetings daily and they have been a HUGE help with the spiritual emptiness I felt without methadone. I also take suggestions and am working a program.

It has not been easy, I've had to work very hard but today I feel alive and energetic without drugs. I will say I did not feel anything approaching normal mentally until I finally reached around ninety days. I really cannot imagine staying clean without attending narcotics anonymous meetings, but that's just me. I wish you the best of luck. Stay strong and don't be afraid to ask for help. Quitting methadone, or any drug or combination of them requires outside help. I wouldn't suggest trying it alone if you want to succeed long term.

C
jaylow

Posted: May 27, 2014, 10:21 PM
Thank you everyone for their posts. They are all so varied reminding me of different times in my life. I was down to two ten mg a day and i too had lost my mind for the third time when i finally admitted my seven year addiction to opiates and self medicating plan with methadone to a psych ward i was in for 12 days. They quickly detoxed me from my twenty mg a day. Like in 4 days. The leg pain was unbearable plus i was restless so i continued walking the halls for what felt like forever. After 12 days passed i was released and had the same feeling of disconnect and wobbly hands and still leg pain. After two weeks i went back to the streets for mdone. I took only five mg a day to be functonal physically and mentally. My psych meds help i believe im finally on something good for me. The past 5 days i have been drug free and suffering. This message board has made me feel so much better in finding hope and realizing i should go to some meeting or clinic so help relieving the loneliness i feel battling this in secret. Im actually hiding as i type this and i am 31 years young. Hiding! Im so tired of it. Like i said this message board helps me realuze i dont have to. Im going to talk to my psychiatrist about drug rehabilitation group or na classes this week. Thank you

Posted: May 30, 2014, 5:59 PM
To jaylow,
I am really happy to hear that you have found this site and that it has helped you. That is what I wanted, for folks to come here, to read, write or whatever and to get good honest information.
Please continue what ever it is that is keeping you from using or wanting to, because it CAN be done, you just have to want it bad enough.

granny

--------------------

Posted: May 30, 2014, 6:53 PM
3 years addicted to hydrocodone. Then just over 3 years at a local methadone clinic. Looking back if I would have known then what I know now about methadone I would have tried harder to detox a different way. With that said I also know that methadone saved my marriage, family, job etc.. Long story short I only got as high as 55 milligrams a day for about 1.5 years and the. Started a slow titrate over the next 1.5 years. Once at 6 mil I stopped going to the clinic and finished titration on my own. Taking 3 mil for 2 days then 1 for a couple days and then none. I had a small reserve in case things went south. I too read all the forums about how people could not get off and the ones that did struggled. Days 1-3 pretty much easy 3-6 the worst but manageable with mild aches and stomach issues and sleep deprivation for about a week then the sun came out and with the exception of a few minor discomforts I now have been drug free for just over 3 months. This can be done. There is hope just keep to the taper I did 1 mil a week sometimes 2 when I felt it was too slow. You just have to really want to be done and free from the chains of the drug/ clinic. And take some responsibility in knowing you may feel crapy for a few days but you did it to yourself. I wish everyone the best of luck and I am always willing to talk and share anytime.

Posted: May 30, 2014, 10:48 PM
Sky4All
Yours are the kind of good stories we need to have on this site. To know that methadone helped you to get your life back on track, off of opiates and then you made the decision to SLOWLY detox off the methadone. GOOD FOR YOU!!!!
I wish everyone did it like you did instead of rushing and then failing miserably and then going out and getting high again and having to start all over.
You had a good plan and you stuck with it.

Please come back and let us know how you are doing. We need more positive stories about people who have used methadone the way it should be and take responsibility for their actions instead of blaming all their failures on the methadone and /or their clinic.
There are those who, unfortunately, who are not able to only be on it for a short while and need to use it forever. And there is nothing wrong with that either. It is all dependent on their drug history , drug of choice and length of their addiction.

Again, thanks for your story.

granny

--------------------

Sky4all

Posted: May 31, 2014, 1:46 PM
Granny,

Thanks for the words of encouragement and support.

I would also like to add that I did not go through this alone as my wife was also addicted and her story is almost identical with the exception of her doing a more rapid titration sometimes 3-4 mil a week and stopped all together at 4-5 mill. She had about a week of feeling like crap but still was able to work everyday. I attribute a lot of my success to watching her and finally seeing that it is possible to get off completely and with minimal discomfort. She came off 3 months sooner than I and that as well was a motivation for me to kick it in gear and get it done.

Another thing I wanted to mention was, we both took a vitamin supplement called " vita done" 3 times a day ( and still do) that was available to purchase through our clinic. They help at great deal with energy and overall well being.

Once again I'm always available to talk and share with anyone that may need it.

Posted: May 31, 2014, 7:40 PM
Sky4all,
You are indeed one of the lucky ones to have a loved one doing the same treatment as you and you both sharing the same end result.

After many failed attempts , detoxes and whatnot I knew methadone was what I needed to stay clean and I have not used once since the first time I dosed. That was 20+ years ago. My husband on the other hand was a bit more resistant but once he saw how it helped me and how it changed my life he went on it as well.

We are advocates and volunteer at our clinic by chairing a once a week recovery meeting called Keys to Recovery. I also write a newsletter for our clinic meant to educate patients and their friends and families on the good methadone can do if the rules of the clinics are followed.
There are many recovery options available and it is a decision that can only be made by the individual. I have heard of vitadone but have never used it. It seems the cost was a bit pricey for most. If it works as many say it does it should be at all clinics, for sure.

good luck and keep coming back.

granny

--------------------

jib

Posted: June 1, 2014, 11:26 AM
I'm 39 and am doing probably my 20th detox and everyone of them has been different. I am an extreme addict addicted to many things my whole life. Got clean at age 32, stayed abstinent for 3 years due to N.A. Then relapsed. Have been on 50ml a day plus using a lot on top. I left town a week ago and decided to come down 5ml everyday and its the easiest one I've ever done. Still got the last 5 ml which will be the hardest. But everyone is different, and for me every detox is different, none pleasant! Granny was bang on with what she said. And its all subutex now and I can't get me head round that, always makes me cluck. Btw the few years I was clean were best of my life by miles. X.
Glenn

Posted: June 6, 2014, 9:49 AM
I'm off 60 mg cold turkey for 35 days.
But I went to the ER twice.
First time I had to be in intensive care 2 days.
Blood pressure went to 230/108. Extensive vomiting.
I'm a 58 year old man.
I'm getting better every day.
I'd be dead if I was in jail.
Got darn close anyway.
If you are young take your freedom back now.
If you're older be careful.
I mean everyone be careful.
It can be done. Just make a plan, and emergency plan.
Be ready to be out of circulation for 8 weeks at least.
I am going to go to at least one year program.
You know we don't do this crap because we're happy.
I know I do, and suspect others are like me.... we turn it all inward....
Subsequent self destruction follows.
I know now knowing that cannot help by itself.
We must understand... I must understand.
Under-Stand. Stand under it and look up. Then the option to rise above it may be revealed.
Glenn

Posted: June 6, 2014, 9:58 AM
One more thing.
I can see just staying on it if that was necessary.
But I'll tell you the clarity of mind is amazing when you start getting well.
My experience of the physical world, the sheer dimension and clarity of thought......
I mean that just cannot be denied.
Problem is that I forgot that in that hazy, filmy sort of state that is opioids.
They kill the pain, for a while. A short while.
After that then I don't go any deeper, and cease to inquire and grow very much.
I've learned and grown more in 7 seeks than the last 5 years.
While that stuff controls you, I don't think you can get anywhere near your true potential.
Pain? Oh yeah.... freedom.....OH YEAH!
Courtney

Posted: June 10, 2014, 5:58 PM
I have been taking methadone for 3 mouths I am on 55 mg I switched clients and the one I cam to will not take my I'd I have not taken any methadone in 2 days and I won't go back to taken it anymore am I going to go though bad with draws

Posted: June 10, 2014, 6:33 PM
Courtney,
jumping off at 55mg's will probably be a bit uncomfortable. I would go back to the clinic you were on and get back in the program. Why did you leave one and go to another??? It seems there may be something else going on but only you know what that is.
If you were doing well, then get back on and continue your fight.

good luck to you sweetie!

granny

--------------------

Posted: June 12, 2014, 2:00 PM
Yes I have successfully stopped, although I was pregnant at the time. I was prescribed methadone at a pain clinic years ago for what they originally thought was MS, but since turned out to be Fibromyalgia. It took about 3 months to taper off 30mg I think. The last 2 were the hardest, bc the doc could not give me anything to ease pain or anxiety.
After I had her and was done breastfeeding I went back on, and she is now 19. Ugh!! I have tried a couple of times to begin a taper on my own, with no success, because it stopped working on pain years ago. My dose has been 30 for a long time.
I am HAPPY to have assistance now, and am tapering. I'm at 20mg
Have I ever gotten into abuse trouble over these 20+ years, yes. That's why I am here.
post replypost new topic