post replypost new topic
Papa Bear Said...

Posted: August 1, 2017, 8:19 AM
You know you are an alcoholic/addict when the promise of a better life scares the $hit out of you.

Wow what a powerful statement Papa Bear. That really resonated with me. I was scared witless at the idea of stopping drinking - i could see it was destroying my life and yet....a million excuses to continue and not surrender to the program.

thank GOD I finally stopped fighting and now have 8 years sobriety and a good good life. Not an exciting life. But a good life. I have a partner who is strong in the program and on a spiritual journey too. I can (mostly) live in the day and enjoy what the day brings. I am happy with the simple things in life today. I can look at reality today.

God has done for me what I could not do for myself. He has taken care of me in sobriety and through many hardships that came my way during that 8 years as well as many good things. I haven't needed to drink through any of it, very rarely even wanted to....the very very occasional thought, quickly banished when I ask God to remove it. Most of the time I don't even think about it. Sobriety has become my new normal. But I am cautious of complacency and do try to do as many of the suggested things as I realistically can.

Thanks for that Papa Bear - a good reminder about the insanity of this disease.
Idgie

--------------------
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Matthew 6:27

May the Force be with you.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just get used to the idea....Robert Heinlein.

You can spend the next 24 hours reaching your true potential or sliding down into your own particular hell. the choice is always yours.

Posted: August 2, 2017, 10:06 AM
congrats on 8 years Idgie

--------------------
Thank God for what you have. Trust God for what you need

Posted: October 20, 2017, 3:35 PM
Sorry I'm 2 months late in seeing this!

Congrats idgie! 8 years is an awfully good long time without a drink. Thanks for everyhijg you've brought to this board.
post replypost new topic