Has Anyone Successfully Stopped Taking Methadone?
Nana0610
Posted: August 3, 2014, 3:50 AM

I bump into this sight searching for help getting off methadone. For those of you on higher doses God bless you. I can't even comprehend what you are I during. Yes. I'm a grandma. Approximately 11 years ago I saw a pain doctor who put me on methadone to relieve my neuropathy pain. Honestly, I was clueless to the the hell hole I was walking into. It wasn't long until I was taking more and more. The jerk doctor fired me after getting me addicted/dependent. It's all the same to me. By the grace of God, I found another doctor in town to keep me on my low dose. He wants me off the methadone and tries to force me to take Lyrica, now rated as another addictive drug. I do not live near any places that can help me get off, so I'm having to do it by myself. I'm not sure I can do it, because the pain gets really intense. I went through instant withdrawal once when one of my doctors gave my Nubain, another type of pain killer. Let me tell you that was a sight to see. A fat old lady flopping around on a hospital bed half naked, because all I had on was a hospital gown. They didn't know what was wrong and kept giving me moraphine trying to calm me down. It felt like my blood veins were on fire and my skin was frozen solid. I accidentally kicked one of the poor nurses in the head. All that said, can anyone render some kind advice to get off this stuff. I could honestly shoot the doctor that got me on the stuff, but he's got enough trouble chasing him it would make things easier on him.
Nana0610
Posted: August 3, 2014, 3:55 AM

How long does it take for your body to stop being dependent on it?
James
Posted: August 5, 2014, 9:43 AM

thanks everyone my prays are with you. if you truly want off this you CAN DO IT......
DustyBill
Posted: August 10, 2014, 6:22 PM

I was on Methadone for 13 years. I got on methadone at 18 years old and now at 31 I decided to call it quits and try to get more healthy. I never let myself go above 50mg unlike others who are well above 100mg a day or so. Over the course of 2 years I gradually went down to 5mg and said forget I'm done and Im now on day 7 without any methadone. I have tried before to get off at 40mg and that was the worst pain "well I cant say in my life" but it was very very bad and even after a week I still felt like crap. As of right now coming off 5mg its not so bad. I have slight muscle cramps and sleeping is a challenge but nothing not even compared to coming off at 40mg. I have read over and over again 40mg or 5mg it don't matter you are going to hurt. To a degree that is true. I do hurt, but nothing like before. I still go to work everyday and even do three classes a week at school. Its been a little though but I think; NO! "I know" I broke the chains of methadone and so can anyone. I takes allot of time to taper off I know, but today is a good day to start. I have other health issue I need to take care of as well and methadone was just now in the way. Im glade you got off Methadone and I hope all who see this will too be inspired to try it this way. Very very slowly. Not 3mg a week or 1mg a week. Try going down 1mg a month till you feel like it is no longer holding you and stop the 1mg detox and wait until your body regulates itself and it will. Then resume the progress there after. I was scared to death but I turned out for the good and I now thank methadone for getting me off street drugs and living a progressive life and now it is time to say good bye. But if anyone would ever ask me if they should try methadone treatment, my answer would be NO. Its hell to break free from. Try soboxoen or hang out for the 4 to 5 hellish detox of what ever opioid drug you are on. Its much shorter than months.
Posted: August 11, 2014, 6:15 AM

yeahhhhhhaaaaa im now 2weeks and one day FREE OF METHADONE HANDCUFFS. Ive come down from 50ml to 13ml. Would love to hear more success stories. It sucks to hell withdrawal but you gota decide life or meth life.

Massive thanks to GRANNY on site for positve encouragement which has got me through my home detox. On youtube kent m methadone hes got loads of support videos up which helped me massively. I used diazepam for a week to get through worst of it.

Any withdrawal is hard even stopping smoking. Do not worry if u relapse and change negative thoughts into positive.

Im definatly off this s*** now still gota symptoms but not killing me. YOU CAN DO IT TOO!!!

MEGAAAA THANKS TO GRANNY AND KENT M METHADONE (YOUTUBR)

--------------------
GOD SAVE BASS GENERATOR records.
Posted: August 11, 2014, 6:32 AM

Hi all

Just a quick one. I used to be on 50ml now come off at 13ml. PLEAAASSEE anyone thats over 25ml. Gradually reduce down. It can be a unpleasnt withdrawal but dont listen to horror stories as u reduce say monthly ur body will adjust. Just remember make urself comfortable by having hot baths listen to music that will relax you.

I PROMISE YOU that after a month free detox ull feel much better. It sucks but keep warm and takr on day at a time. Eat more protiens, veg, milk thistle, and drink plenty of water to flush toxicity out your system.

If i can help please feel free to get in touch. Wishing all the best during difficult timr.

SUSPECT\SUSPICION OVER N OUT!!

--------------------
jackofhartz
Posted: August 11, 2014, 9:52 AM

Hi regina
Posted: August 13, 2014, 5:56 PM

How are you getting on melissa??

--------------------
Posted: August 13, 2014, 6:10 PM

To NANA0610.

Different ways of getting through withdrawal. It lasts two weeks max aslong as you eat more protienveg fruit and exercise drink plenty of water to hydrate yourself.

You taper to what you feel most comfortable at. I thought the withdrawal is guna happen anyway so why piss about. That was my decision to come off at 13ml from 50ml at reducement of 5ml monthly and that was enough for me to adjust. Im now two half weeks into free methadone.

Still getting sneezing fits, tiredness but it will pass. Looking back im glad im off it.
Seek doctor advice about pain meds for withdrawal. Diazepam workd best for me.

You can do it......if you want it bad enough!!.

Best wishes
Suspect

--------------------
Posted: August 13, 2014, 6:15 PM

YEAH NOW FREE OF METHADONE!!

TWO AND HALF WEEKS NOW WITHOUT NOT TRAPPED IN CYCLE!!

ANYONE CAN DO IT IF YOU WANT IF YOU WANT IT BAD ENOUGH!!

BEST WISHES TO ALL

SUSPECT

--------------------
Posted: August 24, 2014, 6:40 PM

to beleiveinurself
mellisa methadone clinics want you to stay on this drug for life, they get no govmnt grants their paychecks depends on the customers. you can wein down and stop. i did it but you will be a little depressed sweat a lot but it doesnt last forever if you were down to 2 mgs a day you were almost there, no way to stop this drug without feeling bad not horrible but bad for a couple of weeks. exersize eat bananas please try and wein down again u will be in same boat if u switch to suboxine. you can do it. trust me. you will be so glad you did in just a little while. time flies so you will bd 2 or 3 months with no methadone before u no it and your brain will start producing endorphines again and you will be free. im glad to help anybody on here anyway i can just ask . take care all
Paula
Posted: August 24, 2014, 11:08 PM

Hi, I successfully detoxed off of methadone after 11 months in the program. It was difficult but if there is anything I can offer in regards to my detox it was that keeping my mind positive was the biggest part of it. I listened to a lot of music, I stretched as much as possible, I laid in the bath, the pain my body felt was excruciating, but it didn't matter because I knew that eventually it would be over, and that I would be on my way to drug free. I flushed my last few doses down the toilet and knew once that happened that I didn't even need to look back. I started suboxone after 4 days of detox, and was on suboxone for 3 months, and slowly tapered myself off of that. It's all in our minds, if we believe we can get off of this poisoness life-saver, we can. Please feel free to reach out. humbleandhopeful@gmail.com
Posted: August 27, 2014, 7:47 PM

Georgia boy and paula,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! We need more stories like this. Good for you!!!!!

granny

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]
Jennifer444
Posted: August 31, 2014, 4:54 PM

I was just going through a mental freak out myself today, wondering if I can ever truly recover from opiates and methadone for good. wondering if my body even has the capability to recover with time and work, and i stumbled on these postings. I rarely go online, I've never posted anything before but feel compelled today. I have battled opiate addiction since she 21- I'm 36 now. It began with heroin and has plagued me off and on for years. I stayed off heroin for 7 years but just moved it to pills. I had clean time here and there but it never stuck. Took suboxone for a year and successfully got off that. I swore I would never touch another opiate again but surprise, surprise, I did. I went back to oxycontin and then back to heroin. I never thought I would use needles again but never say never as an addict. So, for the past 4 years I've been on methadone. I can honestly say it's the most productive I've ever been but the cost of it and the awful way it's dealt with in my state-as opposed to California where i started treatment- had prompted me to try to get off slowly but surely. plus, i just want to be me, without all the side effects. I began at 95 mg. I am now at 27 but it's getting much tougher. I am a woman and I work a very physically laborious job. The further down I go the more I feel the pain of work. I know the further down I go the harder it's going to get and I will need a leave of absence at the end. I hope like hell they'll understand and grant it to me without losing mmy job. That's the part im really scared of. So I was looking for others who have made it off this medication. If there weren't so meant downsides I may consider just staying on for life but that's not an option. It's good to hear some success stories because the physicians don't really know what it feels like. I wonder how long it will take to get my energy back and how I struggle through this until the end. Im still ok, just wake up sick, my dose no longer holds, and Im in physical pain quite a bit and the depression and outrageous anxiety are their own little hell. It's good to know though that this is a situation that can be overcome
Posted: August 31, 2014, 5:42 PM

The great folks at AA & NA know what it is like. They will help you save your life.

They have been right where you are and now are on the road to recovery.

They will show you how to do it ... help and guide you.

I came to recovery in 1989 with a gun to my head and no hope for improvement. Here we are today.

All the best.

Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)
Rusty
Posted: September 1, 2014, 2:23 PM

Hi all, my time on pain meds 16 yrs, after several back fusions and being sole provider for my family i used 100mg methadone for 12 years i thought i was doing fine but new i was dying on inside, wife left children not talk much to me was tired alot, not much sleep, so i went to detox for 7 days withdraws were intense,was completely off for two months no energy felt like i was dragging around a pair of concrete shoes. talked with my doctor i went back on 2 mg per day and still on this I come to accept that it will take a long time to stop all together. It has been 9 months and I am starting to rebuild my life completely its the hardest thing i have ever had to do, I took meds as labeled doctor who gives me methadone plays down the affects my other doctor is so proud of me she says that it will take a yr or more to start feeling better,one thing no one has mentioned is the depression and all other forms of what this and all meds cause it was my choice i blame no one but had i known what was in store for me when i started i would have went a different route. I know there is a time and need for meds .best advice to get past the worst is exercise strength training at least for me it is the hardest drug to kick as i have been told it gets in our bone marrow and really messes with our brain.I have found out that talking with other people who were like me with them talking about wanting to end it, letting them no they are not alone and to share my story with them helps me stay on my path. so much more i can say no. offence to anyone out there it is just my story
Lmk
Posted: September 1, 2014, 7:39 PM

Hey Out there,
Im working on one week free of the methadone and tapered down from 56 mlgs 2 a week then the very last week 1mlg. I thought id feel better than i do but I feel like crap. Lol
Im taking it day by day, i pray allot and try to stay busy although its hard.
I plan on being a success with it however and need support, I'm pretty isolated.
Thanks
gregcee100
Posted: September 6, 2014, 4:04 PM

Im comeing off methadone right now and my last dose was 5 days ago,i was on 7 mgs and i was only thaking enuff methadone to keep me sick every day, for day 5 im still feeling really s***ty and sick my bodys aching my heads sore cant sleep for the life of me , if i didnt have such a love and careing girlfriend i probley would of given up i have the eergy level of a 80 year old manand when i lay down i get really restless its like haveing all the energy in the world but feeling soo tired that you cant do anything with it, my anxity level is at a spike i cant even walk down the street with out feeling like everyone is watching me, im 24 and ive been on methadone for 5 years i droped to fast and i know it soo please do this right, and all i want to know is how long is this going to last the withdral??gregcaines382894f@gmail.com
Posted: September 6, 2014, 6:33 PM

To everyone who is successfully detoxing from methadone, good for you!! We are getting more stories in the past month or so that we have since this board was added. People need to know it CAN be done and that the program will and does work.

It is a very personal decision to start methadone as well as detox from it. From what I understand it does take a while, from a few months to a year or more to get entirely off it, some people take longer than others dependent on their doses.

Then it takes more time to be totally free of its affects because it was replacing the endorphins in your brain, something your body lacked from the years of your opiate addiction.

There are a few people who have been nice enough to tell us what they did, personally, to assist in the detox, from foods, to drinks, to exercises to vitamins, all of which are good ideas whether you are on methadone or not.

The main thing I want to emphasize is to make sure you do the detox for #1, the right reasons and #2, to do it the right way, just to make your long term success more likely.

Meaning that you didn't detox for your mother or your wife or whomever, that you did it because it was the right time, your treatment was complete and that you discussed this with your counselor and your doctor. And,
That you did it in a safe, slow medically directed way. Your chances of success are much better that way.

For those of us who are still on methadone and may continue to be on it there are reasons why we choose that, just as there are reasons why you want off of it. Please make sure your reasons are valid.

granny

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]
Posted: September 13, 2014, 8:58 PM

comming off methadone, i was on meth for about a good 7 years of my life. i wanted to get off i was on 100 mig and i started going down three mil a week, luckly for me i got down to thirty and i went into a pain clinic and they gave me all kinds of pills fentenyl patch i was really bad on pain pills i got addicted of course i was taking more than i should have.and i didnt think they were working, well i slept all day because no one was home, and i didnt want to be around anyone. i used herion once and they urined me that day and they found a big amount in me and kiced me out of the pain clinc with nothing i dont know if that was a good idea giving someone all that medication and then just kick them out of a pain clinic. i was totally messed up now, i had nothing and i knew i was going to be sick so i went back to herion and then i couldnt take it anymore and signed my self into a rehab. i was back up to sixty mil of meth oxicotten, fenanyl path 100 milg. and sixty of meth. and a habbit of herion i cleaned out my savings. after that i knew i couldnt do it. well i came out and jumped into aa meetings, though i wasnt an alcholic i liked it better than na i dont know why. but it did save my life. i made a yr today off of everything i use to do.
  top of page  Top