< prev  next >  post replypost new topic
My Taper Story

Posted: September 19, 2019, 12:44 PM
Chronicpain, great job hang in there, keep exercising and drink lots of water. You can do this!!!

Posted: September 20, 2019, 7:31 AM
It’s been crazy easy. Fear kept me on it for so long.

I’m now in competitive sports, eating well, and not stressing over insomnia. It’ll resolve naturally.

This is Day 9.

6 hours of sleep!

I feel great

God has been merciful to me.

Posted: September 23, 2019, 5:54 AM
Day 10. Good day but increase in sneezing

Day 11.

Strange — I thought I caught a cold but it was preceded by lots of sneezing. Very congested & taking bone broth. Still need Imodium

This is the first day I took Advil. Aches legs but not too bad.

Fatigue today after several days of energy.

Bad dreams last night & insomnia. I have expected both.

I like the emotionalism that increases but the bad dreams or night terrors mean waking up with pounding heart. It helps that I’ve read about them and wasn’t caught off guard.

Very congested but I am determined to not take antihistamine as the histamines need to heal. I don’t want to delay healing.

Rather than stress, I made coffee at 3am.

I’ll cope.

Re-read Over55, Random & Mojo for inspiration.

This post has been edited by Chronicpain on September 23, 2019, 5:57 AM

Posted: September 24, 2019, 5:09 AM
Day 12

Quite sick today with what I thought was a cold.

It’s like a cold on steroids.

Flowing incessant congestion, sore throat & chest.

Fatigue. Low grade fever.

It’s like no cold I’ve ever gotten.

I’m not taking anything (except bone broth) for fear of interfering with the healing process.

I’ve read that others got a “cold” during a similar post methadone period.

Any thoughts?

This post has been edited by Chronicpain on September 24, 2019, 5:12 AM

Posted: September 25, 2019, 5:38 AM
Day 13. It must be an ugly cold.

Congestion, dry cough and sore throat.

Energy returned though with the constant running nose I didn’t exercise.

Last night I slept 8pm yo midnight and then 1am to 3:30am, though broken. I’m grateful for the sleep. No nightmares last night.

Sneezing is constant but is it the cold exasperated by histamine recovery?

I’m healing from the many years of this stuff.

The Florida sun is always welcome.

Posted: September 25, 2019, 3:31 PM
Keep it up I promise all this cold mess passes and that part is over with, hot bath will help with aches. Drink lots of water and exercise when you can!!

Jesus is great and mighty!!!

Posted: September 25, 2019, 5:34 PM
I don’t know how people survive without faith in Christ.

Especially as we get older. I think lots of us who’ve suffered in this way are also nostalgic & think about “what’s next?” after this life.

Thanks, Mojo.

Posted: September 26, 2019, 6:40 AM
Day 14

This cold is the worst I’ve ever experienced. I finally broke down and used cold meds. Incessant cough, congestion and fatigue.

I’ve read about the vulnerable stage post methadone but hoped to avoid it.

Lots of bone broth. Yesterday was the first day I missed work —I went thru methadone withdrawals without missing tine! Yet a cold knocks me out?

I’m continuing bone broth.

Something else I want to share by way of encouragement.

Methadone is fat soluble—that is, it gets stored in fat cells (bone marrow storage??)

I did a very slow taper (in hindsight, I would have gone even slower!) yet when I started, I also dropped sugar, white flour, processed foods etc. I was a bit frightened but I embraced a high natural fat diet.

I lost more than 50 lbs and experienced many health benefits.

No longer having chronic pain (including arthritis) made the detox much easier.

I’ve since read others who found the same.

The “glucose rollercoaster” is a wild ride I’m glad to be off.

While beginning the taper, think of dropping sugars.

Posted: September 27, 2019, 5:53 AM
Day 15.

Using cold medicine helped get through the day. It’s difficult to distinguish between W/D and a rough cold.

Sleep remains broken but I’m grateful for what I get. 4 straight hours followed by a series of 3 broken hours. Healing will take time and I’m not stressed by this.

Stomach—using single half dose of Imodium every other day. Not a fan of going to the bathroom repeatedly but this will heal.

I thank God for the slow taper. Reading horror stories of cold turkey—including those who had prescribing doctors retire or clinics suddenly close is reason enough to taper.

Jumping off at 1mg is so relatively easy.

Posted: September 28, 2019, 6:22 AM
Day 16. The cold is finally easing. I feel better today and think that it’s been the heavy cold that’s taken it’s toll rather than W/D.

I had better energy until late afternoon. I’m a bit concerned about sports next week.

Florida Soccer—adult league very competitive. I’m the oldest on the team. I hadn’t planned on jumping when I did —but the fear of the unknown got to me. Had I known that it could be this easy I wouldn’t had the anxiety.

I am still in need of 1 dose (2mg) of Imodium which concerns me. I’ve read horror stories of withdrawal from it being worse than opioids. These stories are about people taking 20 times the dosage, yet still...

I’m hoping stomach will clear up.

Other than that, I continue to be surprised how easy this can be with slow taper.
Overfifty55

Posted: September 28, 2019, 9:57 AM
Good morning Chronicpain:). Your doing amazing!!! Congratulations on being methadone free. I’m glad your starting to feel better being sick isn’t fun. Have a beautiful Saturday.........peace

Posted: September 29, 2019, 8:50 AM
Day 17

Vitality increasing. Fatigue not hitting until later in the day.

Cold lingers but is not as intense.

I’ve missed a week of exercising but mental clarity continues to improve off methadone. The ability to experience Ed increased emotion is thrilling. It’s life.

Still going the bathroom 4 x per day and sleep healing is slow. I used NyQuil twice for the cold/-both times it increased insomnia.

Insomnia will resolve on its own time frame. I’ll be grateful for whatever sleep I’m afforded.

Posted: September 30, 2019, 5:01 AM
Day 18

Continue to improve. Wondering about PAWS & stomach.

I am using 1 to 2 mg of loperamide about every day. I’ve noted that I feel better, overall, a few hours after using it.

This concerns me.

Prior to recently reading about it, I didn’t know it was addictive & dangerous!

Day 18 I didn’t take it and I felt it’s absence. Stomach was tougher and I felt edgy.

I recognize that one could argue that loperamide addiction comes from 60mg to 200 mg but I’ve been using it, even at such a low dose, that I’m relying on it.

I didn’t take it Day 18 & noticed it. I woke up Day 19 (this am) and feel much better.

I’m not going to take it today either. I’ll save it, if necessary, for travel. Hopefully I should start healing.

Broken sleep 8:30pm to 2:30 am but I refuse to stress over it.

14 or 15 years, my body depended upon this drug so it’ll take time to heal.

It’ll be fine.

Posted: October 1, 2019, 7:03 AM
Day 19

Doing ok. I hope this helps others.

PAWS in small impact —

Ache in hands & legs. No Tylenol.
Fatigue in late afternoon.

Slept 4 hours, up for 2, and back for one more. Woke up once overheating.

Stomach (going too often) continues but I did not use Imodium again. It frightens me. Using it (2mg) means about 2 hours later feeling better in my stomach but also mood. I believe it postponed healing. I understand why it’s used & don’t judge anyone—especially l cold turkey. Be careful with any & everything.

We’ve come to accept, perhaps to our harm, that a pill can fix anything. We put so many chemicals in our bodies and on our bodies. I consider how many friends & relatives have cancer.

I spoke with a woman who was on low dose for medical condition for about two years. (5mg)

She tapered and found residual PAWS, depression & ache for about 90 days.

It is a powerful drug.

This post has been edited by Chronicpain on October 1, 2019, 7:09 AM

Posted: October 2, 2019, 4:58 AM
Day 20

The “cold” continues with a dry hacking cough. I’ve never had a cold last 10 days before. The cough, like the sneezes, has left me sore beneath my rib cage.

4 hours sleep

PAWS ache at night but nothing I can’t handle.

Time is needed.

I played soccer & exhausted myself last night. The cold has interfered with exercise so it was good to get back in.

Stomach was better! 3rd day without loperamide —-rate good day. I hope this progress continues.

Posted: October 3, 2019, 5:22 AM
Day 21

PAWS

4 hours sleep woke to the worst diarrhea of the detox. No change in diet. I wonder if it is related to not taking loperamide in the last few days? I stayed hydrated all day.

Body aches —by 4pm I gave in and took two Advil. Mild depression/irritability by afternoon.

Then I fell asleep by 8:30pm and didn’t fully wake up until 3:30sm! Best sleep in a long time! I thank God.

The PAWS in manageable as it is not all day but cones and goes.

My brain-gut must fire on its own now. This is natural to healing and I don’t want anything to interfere with it.

This morning having my coffee at 4:30am, I feel great. It may not last all day but I know I’m improving and remain grateful.

Posted: October 4, 2019, 4:33 AM
Day 22

Cold & cough improving. Finally.

I’ve done some research on methadone detox and compromised immunity as the brain must relearn.

I did not fill my prescription yesterday for the first time in almost 15 years. It was great not to have that anxiety.

A much improved day. Less fatigue and a good stomach. No Imodium. That stuff scares me. No Advil, either.

I slept for 6 hours and am pleased. Mild depression but I believe it’s related to PAWS.

I think I may be pulling out of PAWS and into healing!

Posted: October 5, 2019, 5:19 AM
Day 23

A good day with much improvement!

Cough dry and congestion improving.

6 hours sleep!

Stomach better.

Emotions alive.

Grateful!

Posted: October 6, 2019, 9:47 AM
Day 24

Another good day.

However...

I celebrated my 6 1/2 hours of sleep and good stomach with...

Wine

Popcorn.

Wine is something I’ve not enjoyed due to the methadone.

Well, it disrupted my sleep (3 hours) and the popcorn tore up my stomach.

Lesson learned. (I think).

I’ve read to avoid alcohol during methadone detox.

I hope someone reads this and avoids the errors.

Posted: October 7, 2019, 5:51 AM
Day 25

Healing.

Sneezing is down to 6x per day or so. Histamine (brain) resolving.

The cold/cough is almost resolved. Learning lots about the compromised immune system under methadone as well as memory loss and emotion suppression (methadone’s impact on the brain). Returning emotions!

Slept 6.25 hours. Progress! Bad dreams fading.

Stomach better.

Freedom.

Considering freedom from methadone? Taper. Taper slowly.

Florida sun for vitamin D!

post replypost new topic