next >  post replypost new topic
6 Days Sober, Is Almost 1 Whole Week!!! ;-)
al

Posted: June 23, 2010, 10:16 AM
6 days sober and I feel fantastic!!! I am excited that i am feeling so, so much better. The physical cravings have calmed down alot...I am no longer a miserable bixxh! But the mental part is still occasionally nagging at me... not as badly as it used to , but usually when I see someone w/ a drink in hand, i definately crave one! I'm trying to keep busy and focus on myself...which if you are a parent, you know that is sometimes hard to do...But i know, that by taking this time to focus on myself- i will be a much better parent!!! Looking forward to celebrating my 1 week tomorrow!!! I can't believe I am doing it!!! :-)
Thanks to all of you for helping me get this far!!!

Posted: June 23, 2010, 10:30 AM
Al CONGRATULATIONS! One week is awesome!First when I gave up drinking I would put a bean in a jar for every day I didn't drink. It might seem silly but I needed to visualize my accomplishments and it was rewarding to see them pile up. I did that for 9 months and sometimes those lil beans would keep me sober because I didn't want to ruin my collection. Take the money that you would have spent on booze and treat yourself to something nice as a reward even tho being sober is the greatest reward but it is nice to have something to look forward to. Once again congrats and being sober looks good on ya!......................hugs

--------------------
Thank God for what you have. Trust God for what you need
al

Posted: June 23, 2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks Pirate!!! I am seeing things much clearer these days! The bean thing is cute! I saved about $54. by not drinking this week!!!Enough for a manicure/pedicure...which I can not usually afford! Gonna take your advice and get one tomorrow on my 1 wk anniversary!!!!!:-) Hugs! Alison

Posted: June 23, 2010, 10:39 AM

Hi, Al. I read your post on LittleMom's thread. You're doing fantastic! All those sugary foods and stimulants you're craving probably are a means of getting the sugars you're used to having. The stimulants (caffeine, redbulls, etc.) could be a result of your body struggling to overcome the lethargic feeling of healing. Alcohol is a depressant, so simply removing it from your physical body is going to allow your body to heal and start feeling better.
Now. The psychological cravings. If you get a chance, read, The Doctor's Opinion from the text of AA. Dr. Silkworth was the first medical professional to openly suggest that alcoholism could be a disease--an allergy. That when I drink I can't stop, and when I stop I can't stop thinking about drinking. Physical allergy that manifests as mental obsession. Damned if I did, damned if I didn't kind of helplessness. POWERLESSNESS. Admitting that I wasn't able to take even one drink--just for today--was huge in beginning to understanding myself better.
Congratulations! You keep coming back and telling everyone here exactly what you're going through and you'll get better one day at a time.

--------------------

Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation.

Posted: June 23, 2010, 12:17 PM
Hi Al, I craved sugar for about two weeks after I quit drinking, sweets, biscuits etc... I took Vitamins too for a few months, I don't know if they helped but my alcohol counsellor recommended I take them.

I treated myself to nice things with the money I saved from drinking too, nice shower products to pamper myself with as I never bothered before. I found NOT counting the days easier, I didn't have it constantly on my mind. I just knew the date I stopped and every month on that date I knew I'd done another month. They come so fast now it's really quite amazing. I NEVER thought I'd get this far. I thought I was gonna die from drinking.

6 Days is amazing, but they're also the hardest. I wish you all the best in your recovery, but take it one day at a time.

Izzy

--------------------
"Dream as though you'll live forever... Live as though you'll die today." - James Dean...

"You can't put your arms around a memory" - Johnny Thunders

Posted: June 23, 2010, 12:43 PM
I can't even explain how much better I felt physically after I'd been sober for 30 days! Great work al. Keep it up!
al

Posted: June 23, 2010, 6:47 PM
Thank you all. skg, izzy, pirate! I am now checking these posts more than my facebook posts!!!

Posted: June 23, 2010, 9:34 PM
TERRIFIC AL! i AM A RELATIVE NEWBY TOO AND UNDERSTAND HOW YOU ARE FEELING TOO. i EAT LOLLIES IN THE AFTERNOON, THIS SEEMS TO HELP ME GET THROUGH THE DAY AND THEN, AFTER MY LONG WORK DAY, i DRIVE STRAIGHT HOME AND EAT A HEALTHY TEA. i DON'T USUALLY EAT SWEET THINGS BUT THIS HAS OBVIOUSLY CHANGED. tHE CRAVINGS DO DISSAPEAR THOUGH, JUST BE ON GARD FOR THE TIMES YOU ARE TEMPTED AND DON'T GIVE IN.

Sorry this was on cap lock and I didn't look up. Anyway, you must be a week soon and welll done. Keep posting. It is an awsome place this, isn't it?

Luv from kazz from ozz
crwrite

Posted: September 13, 2014, 4:02 PM
I am new here. I am on day 6 and while I felt awesome this morning, I am getting a little tempted this afternoon. This is the first weekend in five years that I have not had a drink. I really want one to calm my nerves but thank GOD I decided to read these posts. Thank you for sharing your stories. It really does help. Stay Sober! Hugs and Strength always.

Posted: September 14, 2014, 7:51 AM
Hi, crwrite. Welcome. Glad you are here. I love the excitement in people's' words when they begin to gather some hope. Keep coming back!

This post has been edited by skg on September 14, 2014, 7:52 AM

--------------------

Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation.
jason

Posted: July 19, 2016, 4:30 PM
Hi, its 2016 now and I am also at day 6. I know AA is not for everybody but I found a nice old sober aa I call everyday and go to a meeting after work. I eat candy at work as well. All 3 combined have taken the edge of a lot! Keep on keepin on!

Posted: July 20, 2016, 5:54 AM
welcome Jason congrats on 6 days. keep coming back , you will find support here. some days may be a bit slow but someone will always reply if you post.

--------------------
Thank God for what you have. Trust God for what you need

Posted: July 31, 2016, 12:43 AM
Good job Al, 6 days being sober is a good start. After reading your post I can say you've great understanding and I think your self confidence will help you beat your alcohol addiction problem.

Posted: August 4, 2016, 10:42 AM
Congrats!
Ptpop

Posted: August 5, 2016, 2:39 PM
I am at day six and want a drink so bad. Feeling extremely anxious but know I just can't drink anymore. Anxiety always drives me to drink. I have been trying to stay busy but there's only so much to do.Tomorrow will be one week. Any advise on how to get to day seven ?

Posted: August 5, 2016, 2:58 PM

This is what Alcoholics Anonymous suggests.

It works for me and millions of others.

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10..._howitworks.pdf

All the best.

Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)

Posted: August 5, 2016, 8:36 PM
Thanks

Posted: August 13, 2016, 10:47 AM
Well done .. however theres a long way ahead and the first thing i recommend is find something to replace the alcohol
ive been sober for 15 years and was detoxed at home using librium ... this was my lifeline as the only thing that kept me drinking was the fear of the Dt,s .....and ask any drinker/alcoholic and thats why they drink as they fear the withdrawl and realise their body is normal when drinking .... many experts like to find the causes of your drinking but this is what i think
1) we drink occasionally
2) we start to drink more
3) we shake in the morning and realise another drink will stop this and make you feel ok
4) we start to drink every morning
5) we now get hostile as family and friends start to notice a difference
6) we are now drinking more to avoid both symptoms and hostility
7) we start to miss work days and appointments
and the above happens within 3 months ... however the alcohol has now become the most important thing in your life
so for you to be sober you have done one of the hardest things you will ever do .. most people dont understand how hard it is to stop drinking so you should be so proud of yourself
but make sure you find a hobby or at least something to replace the drink ... this worked for me and 15 years i havent touched a drop
i wish you all the best
bri
Mia

Posted: July 3, 2018, 1:55 PM
Today is day 6 for me. Reading these posts, although many are years old, has really resonated with me. I find that I am in a really hurry to get to day 60 or day 600...with the thought that i'll have success under my belt. But that doesn't really ever happen does it? My goal is to focus on myself. Create a clearer vision on my new reality that doesn't include a steady stream of alcohol in my blood during waking hours. I feel really good. Clear. Everything looks clear. I like this feeling. I am even allowing myself to feel proud of this accomplishment!
John

Posted: December 11, 2018, 10:25 PM
Day 6 for me as well. Very proud. I have fun using an app. that tells me how much money I’ve saved etc...but really this decision is saving my life. I was getting sore on my right side. Just very proud of myself...one day at a time.
post replypost new topic