I Just Want My Life Back
Posted: September 5, 2018, 6:06 PM

After so many years of dealing with my son and his alcoholism, I just want my life back. It was so bad when he lived at home but now he lives across the country alone. He has lost his long time girlfriend due to the alcoholism/addiction. He is selfish, manipulative, shows no love for anyone or has a care in the world for anyone. He will take your last penny and not blink an eye.
We have tried so hard over the years to get him help and he always refused. In the last few months he has realized he has a problem and has reached out for help but then relapses after 2 week. I am hopeful today because he is in a treatment facility and has made it longer than the other times. Thank God!
so in less than 20 days he will be finished with his treatment program and go back to his apartment alone... I am scared to death again for what will be.
I don't want to have to cringe every time he calls or sends a text. I am tired of living on edge. I want to be able to enjoy each day and not worry about him drinking. My daughter has an interview in another state for a position and we are flying there for that and then spending a day just touring. I want to be there for my daughter and not worrying about whether my son will need me. I need to write a cost letter to him and I don't even know where to begin.
He can have such a good life if he sticks with the AA, etc. He tried before but then always had an excuse for not going. I can't go on like this anymore. Any suggestions on what to write in a cost letter? How to let go of this and let him fall if that is what will be. We have put so much money out this year with rehabs and IOP.
Posted: September 15, 2018, 1:01 PM

I pray, I give everything to God, you aren't alone, read the other posts, others are going through the same thing you are. These people in this chat room will describe every feeling and fear that you are having. Without God I don't know I could go on every day, every minute. This devastating disease/addiction affects not only the person but their families, friends and so many others. There are support groups almost everywhere, these chat rooms enlighten and encourage people looking for help or assistance.
  top of page  Top