< prev  post replypost new topic
Recoveredcrackhead@yahoo.com

Posted: March 9, 2016, 5:00 PM
Keep up the good work !!

I'm doing well.

AA & NA have brought me to retirement and I'll be 72 yrs old in a few weeks.

Not bad for a hopeless addict/alcoholic who doubted he would see 1990.

Take care.

Bob

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)

Posted: March 12, 2016, 9:12 AM
This recovered crackhead can't wait to go to church tomorrow, then to the new NA meeting run by a nervous chap and we have been the only two people there. He thinks S.M.A.R.T. recovery might be a better (received?) format. Time will tell.
And then the Sunday Night Meditation Meeting, last week I asked if people would share their favorite prayer with me, via written copy. I predicted out of15 people I will get 2. And now I feel guilty for having written that. I am getting that "feeling" that I should have been more optimistic.
wow, what a bi-polar post

Anyway it's time to get back to livin'

Be well,
Larry

--------------------
All gods send their drunks to AA

My story.. https://www.addictionrecoveryguide.o...ST&f=16&t=63644

Posted: March 13, 2016, 10:02 PM
I received 1 (one) prayer. It was given to me by a lady I have become friends with over the years. We both attend services at the church that host my home group. The prayer was written by her husband, may he rest in peace. He used to chair the meeting at the county jail, did it for 20 yrs. Usually it was one hour of Jack talking. I think the other "attendees" were just looking for an hour out of the general population. I'm sure it was part of my reason. I like to think he planted a seed in me. I guess I am sharing the fruits of his labor now. I like that.

Be well,
Larry

--------------------

Posted: October 31, 2016, 5:41 PM
I am sorry I have not kept up with my posting, it's been very busy lately. Last summer I attended the Recovery Coach Training as designed by CCAR. I also took part in an extensive series of traings offered by CAI-LTI, dealing primarily with Chronic Conditions (HIV, HepC) and Harm Reduction. Those included travel to some beautiful cities across New York state, Syracuse, Liverpool and Buffalo. All that plus I rode my bicycle 100 miles to volunteer at the NYS Recovery Conference in Troy, NY. I now attend meetings and forums sponsored by FOR-NY (Friends of Recovery-New York) and The Center for Family Living and Recovery. I think I would like to start a Recovery Community Center so I can share all this information.

Life is getting better every day, I hope yours is too.

Be Well.
Larry

--------------------

Posted: January 26, 2017, 5:20 PM
And so I have done it...or at least started.

I have been granted permission from my church to use their empty spaces and common rooms to begin recovery coaching and sober activities. I have been cleaning and preparing the office, talking with some other interested people and drawing up some plans and goals.

I have much work to do all for no reward other than the benefit of helping others. I like it.

Be well,
Larry

--------------------

Posted: June 30, 2017, 2:02 PM
Still here, still helping....

"Pathfinders" it is, my little recovery coach/sober activities group. It's not much as my AA home group is in the same biulding and they over shadow my work. It's actually fine with me, as I said it's my homegroup and I stiil participate actively.
Pathfinders has recently put up teams for The American Heart Association's "Heart Run &Walk" and then the American Cancer Society's "Relay for Life". Giving back a little at a time.I was going to run a half marathon as a means of promotion, but..cardiomyopathy, a weak heart. That's what the doctor told me. So I quit training and started smoking cigarettes again. I know didn't make much sence to me either. I have since been diagnosed with depression and given some drug I refuse to take. but I still help people in recovery...it's what we do.

I hope all is well with you.

Till next time,
Larry

--------------------

Posted: November 29, 2017, 2:50 PM
Lovin Life and livin Large,

Finding out much of that advice is true, especially the parts we don't want to hear.
Who knew keeping up with the Joneses actually caused so much pain and heart ache.
I have begun to live a much simpler life, although it's way better than when I was smoking crack.
Any way I am actively involved with an advocacy group. We work to get others to help those who still suffer. I still make meetings & sponsor. I am a recovery coach and peer-mentor. I also co-ordinate many sober activities. I like the ones that include my bicycle or my tent, but I'll do anything if it'll keep you sober.

Be well,
Larry

--------------------

9 years clean

Posted: March 5, 2018, 3:33 PM
Hi Larry I have not read all your posts because there are so many of them. I am reaching out to you because I noticed your posts started in 2009 which was the last time i smoked crack. Although I have stopped it still interferes with my life because I still have crack dreams that give me cravings and feelings of withdrawal when I wake up which at times stops me from going to work. Do you have any advice on how to make the dreams stop?

Posted: April 9, 2018, 12:37 PM
9 years clean,

Sorry for the delay, but this forum is a bit slow. Actually all the forums seem to have slowed down with the advent of facebook. I can always be reached at the title of this thread. Coincidence, I think not. And if you think I have a lot of post here, google the title of this thread, or just thr recoveredcrackhead part. That's often how I find myself, lol.

In the mean time, I haven't dreamed of crack in a while. I don't think I would worry much about, I believe dreams are just the minds way of cleaning house.

Be Well,
Larry

--------------------

Posted: January 2, 2019, 6:29 PM
Wishing everyone a Happy 2019,

Still my life continues to amaze me. Even the problems are a welcome relief from what it used to be. I met with the Mohawk Valley Council of Prevention and Recovery today. Primarily because I am involved with "Friends of Recovery- Mohawk Valley" (We are in Central NY state) an advocacy that endeavors to let addicts know we can and do recover. I also have formed "Pathfinders" a recovery community service. I try to engage people in "sober" activities. So...it looks like I have found an allie and hope to take things up a notch, from being an out of pocket expense for me, to getting some financial and in kind support. I plan on doing some camping, hiking and bicycle touring next summer. Life is good, if you work for it.

Be Well,
Larry

--------------------

Posted: April 25, 2019, 12:08 AM
It is always great to read a post from you. You're posts have been instrumental in my journey. God Bless.

--------------------
All this happened for the sole purpose to help others fight this thing with all we got.

Posted: April 10, 2020, 10:50 AM
Happy CoVid Days,

Hope everybody is well. safe and healthy. as for this recoveredcrackhead. I am currently in my second year of service doing Street Homeless Outreach. I am also 5 days into my new living quarters, a 3 bedroom house with garage. Last week I lived in a slum apartment . God is good.
My stay here is time limited, but I need to get away from the old place.
I am here posting because the new place comes with internet (I told you God was good).
I look forward to being beneficial, I hope you do to.(that's the secret of my recovery, I learned it from a guy named Bill)

Be well,
Larry

--------------------

LivingIt

Posted: April 20, 2020, 9:24 AM
Hey OP! I just want to tell you I'm proud of you. Great job on your long term sobriety! You're inspiring! My SO has been battling crack for 18 months now and he needs help and has admitted it. He is speaking with an inpatient detox and living center today, the program there is 30 days. It's about an hour and 20 minutes from where we live. I hope and pray God gives him strength to beat this. We cant keep $1 in the house without him taking it and he has pawned and traded so many of our possessions. It's so hard. Blew through my stimulus payment check in just a few days. Wish him luck!

Posted: May 1, 2020, 3:06 PM
Good afternoon whoever and where ever...and when ever you are.

i'm still adjusting to my new place. So much room, yet I feel the need to own less stuff.
I know,it sounds weird. But, it's stuff and I don't need it. I've heard it said if I don't use it in a year I really don't need it. I have things still boxed up from 10 years ago. But I know once I get rid of something I'll be looking for it. I still hunt for things lost in the last round of crack life.
Anyway, I am home, "tele-commuting" plus I made my weekly hours yesterday. (Thursday). and I will be going back out to open and make coffee for our "rogue" meeting. My home group threw in the towel right quick with the CoVid_19. The church voiced concern for those that "need a meeting". I personally do not teach such dependence, oh the irony. Anyway, I'm there 7 nights a week just in case. (we get 4-8 a night) I also wipe down all doorknobs, railings, light switches, coffee posts and the chrome in the bathroom. And I supply face masks. Keep that between us, they were donations for my homeless outreach.
any who...what did you spend your stimulus check on. I'm not getting one and I'm good with that. I'm a full time volunteer recoveredcrackhead felon and I live in a 3 bedroom house with a garage and a white pickett fence, God is good, and if you're good and think good thoughts...well, what did you spend your check on?

Be well,
Larry

--------------------

Posted: March 4, 2021, 10:27 PM
Hi,

Recently celebrated 1 yr in my house. It's been very nice,
I have also increase my efforts with the homeless as my
homegroup is on the verge of collapsing. friggin covid.
But I have made some awesome connections and have
been involved with some great people and, well, you know,,,
God is good and I don't...do what I used to do.
I also strongly suggest you don't do what I used to do.
Instead be aggressively committed to making the world a better place,
It may not be easy,but at least it's a lot of hard work.

Be well,
Larry

--------------------

Posted: March 5, 2021, 1:41 PM
Awesomeness
post replypost new topic