< prev  post replypost new topic
Ambien Is Ruining My Life.

Posted: April 21, 2015, 7:55 AM
NoSnooze - Hey there! Take a deep breath! You will be fine; you are not a terrible person but you are in an awful situation that only you can fix. You will find wonderful support here; and I recommend talking with your doctor about what you are dealing with! Consider AA or NA; a therapist. You have to take one step at a time and that first one is the scariest. I am not familiar with Ambien so I can not relate to the specific drug - but I am very familiar with addiction. I am a newbie on my own journey to health and recovery; I want you to know it is possible. My hope is that someone familiar to Ambien recovery will see this and post specifics. But until then, I wanted you to know someone is listening and sending hope your way. I spend a great deal of time on this board as part of my personal distraction while I am recovering, so we can keep in touch here as you make this journey!! You may consider starting a new thread asking for Ambien support (you can find more on my story in the pain pill section).
Karen

Posted: July 8, 2015, 9:29 AM
I too started to get hooked on ambien, but instead it turned into a disaster for me...I ended up in an emergency room because I flipped out on it...it was awful, when they were wheeling me into my room I read a sign that said something about kidney's or something, and I thought they were taking me to remove all my organs. I waa terrified, I also thought they were gonna keep me doped up and never let me go home.
Believe me there IS help out there go to any NA meeting narcotics anonymous or even aa- today aa is all people addicted to pills. They can get you in touch with a rehab facility that can get you slowly off of them.
I will pray for you...good luck and keep- in touch.
Michelle

Posted: August 8, 2015, 11:15 AM
Hey! I hear you! I am you and probably worse and it has repeatedly destroyed my life and relationships. I didn't drink till I was 21, have never done illegal drugs, but I have always had insomnia brought on by night time anxiety mostly due to childhood trauma. I was introduced to ambien in 2004, of which at that time I did not have a drinking problem. After ambien, and like you already know the cycle, I used alcohol and whatever else to get to the next refill. ambien was a magic pill that made all that anxiety go away . . . for me . . . for a little while. Meanwhile, I scared the people in my life, probably endangered people and OH!, self harmed like crazy sometimes while on it. An issue I had when younger was triggered one night when I was in the greatest of moods, took too much, went to take a shower and proceeded to cut my arm up. Wasn't depression. As the years have progressed, I have done so many incredibly stupid things. Front of my van is trash. I have blown many tires. Lost jobs. Destroyed trust with the people that loved me. I have been arrested and had many, many more bad things happen that I just don't want to think of it. A week ago I fell from an 8 foot loft, off of the top of the ladder to it in the garage. I busted my head open. I don't know how I'm still alive but I got lucky. However my husband who was the man of my dreams has been torn down and can no longer deal with my ambien binges. My body can't take it anymore either. I wish it wasn't too late for our marriage, but I do know I have to deal with this now or it will get me killed. Last week I gave my doctor full disclosure and talked about a place I had researched to get help. It's called Valley Hope and I have an appointment for them to get me in on Thursday and hopeful that will help. I know it's scary telling your doctor because yes, there goes one source. But like you pointed out, when addiction comes calling, you find other sources. Family, friends, co workers, online, etc. I use to get it from my mom! I eventually had to tell her about my problem, since she had to bail me out of jail and also had the pleasure of coming to a psych ward after a severe cutting incident while having taken way too much ambien. I recommend learning from my continued use. The last 4 of these 10 years have been the most costly. I lost my license, been arrested countless times, the expenses due to all the damage I cause while on it?! I damn near burnt my husbands garage down! I set some leaves on fire while on it. I am also very unkind when on it. But that's enough rambling. Tell your primary care doctor. If necessary, have him help you get the help you need. It's not as uncommon as you think, but it just feels too shameful to admit we do this. Wishing you luck!

Posted: August 8, 2015, 1:34 PM
Michelle:

Look up the NA & AA meetings in your area and attend a few of their "open" meetings.
You can take your husband with you.

The general public is welcomed to the open meetings and you are not required to participate.
You can just sit and listen to the speaker(s).
You will hear your story told repeatedly and you will hear what the folks are doing to recover.

I wish you the best.

Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)
Jerry

Posted: September 14, 2015, 2:24 PM
I have used ambien for about 5 years. I am smart but I can't add 2+2. I have fallen uncontrollable several times and AND NEVER ONCE looked carefully at ambien side efecta. Guess what, especially with alcohol your falling can be very dangerous and uncontrollable. I fell last week in the kitchen and could NOT get up! I then did use a chair and did get up and went straight to bed but in my bedroom I fell very hard against the corner of a bureau! The black and blue eyes are still there! The feeling of falling without your control is very very scary~ Just though I'd pass this on and DON"T DRINK with ambien it will make it a lot worst and very dangerous!
Mackie

Posted: October 27, 2015, 3:51 AM
Is anyone out there addicted to ambien? It's ruining my life. Please offer advice and help.

Posted: October 28, 2015, 12:34 AM
Hi my name is Angela i am going through the pain you are the last 3 years has been the worst. I have lost 3 jobs because of going through withdrawals to sick to go to work. I have been on ambien for 7 years nobody around me understand i don't half the time have been in 2 accidents from driving on ambien.my whole family is scared i am usually the saint of the family i have not been that for the lat 3 years my family wants me to go into a treatment program i am doing it Thursday. I am so agiastdrugs to me a doctor started me on ambien so i had it in my mind it was not bad .i have been to different counselor has not helped they keep saying i am fine i wrecked my car don't even remember getting in the car woke up in the hospital. I don't take anything else but go through a whole script in 4 days i am loosing alot of weight and scared this is going to kill me i got a lawyer so i can file a lawsuit against whoever gave me the ambien and whoever got it in the public in the first place doctor's don't care only to get paid i hope you get better soon just wanted you to know your not alone.
Diewalrus

Posted: January 13, 2016, 6:27 AM
Ambionica- I'm going through the same things you're explaining. Could we email or text?
Ambiegirl

Posted: August 31, 2016, 11:05 PM
I can understand where you are coming from taking them with narcos and falling out for a few hours then waking back up taking more of both drugs, this is a sure sign of addiction, sure you know this already but what you don't know already is that eventually it's going to get worse and worse and only you can make it better. if you're threatening family members and friends to give up what they are holding to help you out is only going to make it even worse. You need to get medical mental help asap because it's the only way to get out of this vicious cycle. Trust me, I know from experience.

Posted: September 1, 2016, 8:42 AM
I needed the "spiritual help" of AA/NA to treat my alcoholism/addiction.

Medical help is of little use.

One of the first people I met at a meeting in 1989 was a doctor.
He needed AA/NA as much as I did.

All the best.

Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)
Seb

Posted: September 16, 2017, 2:21 PM
Guys, im just wondering how is your recovery after stopping to take them and now i mean brain functions like memory or thinking abilities, and also sleeping, also if you can say how long it took before you noticably recovered.

Posted: November 30, 2017, 1:02 PM
Wow! I am so glad to see this. I am on day 23 off Ambien. I am also on leave from work and doing rehab after 1 night in hospital and 6 days in an inpatient psych hospital after a year of heavy ambien abuse (4-6 10 mg tabs for about 8 months; 10-16 10 mg tabs for 3 months) left me delusional, mildly psychotic, suicidal, in full blown delirium (I was convinced I'd had a stroke, car acdident, and was dying of kidney failure). My memory was so messed up because if the "stroke" that I figured I'd die from the stroke/kidney failure or I'd be permenanetly disabled. I am a psychologist and truly believed ny IQ had dropped 100 points. To make things worse, I texted, facebooked and called everyone including my boss. Several fellow psychologists and friends showed up expecting to see me post car accident and stroke.
post replypost new topic