< prev  next >  post replypost new topic
Has Anyone Successfully Stopped Taking Methadone?

Posted: January 12, 2013, 12:12 AM
I do know someone who got off methadone after close to 15 yrs on it and at a pretty high dose.

He did it VERY SLOWLY over a period of about 3 yrs.

He has been off it totally for about 6 months and is doing real well.

After dealing with a few medical issues,not caused by methadone, but after coming off of it, he is now doing quite well and we are all very proud of him. And HE is feeling quite proud and amazed too.

It CAN be done, IF its done RIGHT. Most people get this hairbrained idea to stop for stupid reasons, with no plan and usually after they have only been on the program for a very short amount of time. The idea is to get some clean time,straighten out the mess your life is usually in, get a grip on reality and life without using.
AND THEN,with your counselor and your doctors help you can begin a VERY SLOW detox.
Then you may have a chance at success.

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]
jackofhartz

Posted: January 25, 2013, 6:38 PM
OK- No more klinics for me
Doctor in CT has given me a script for methadone- -3 -10 mg pills every day - -(30 mgs a day)
Its great not going to a freakin klinic even if it was once a week-
-I had to get them for pain ,gettin mdone from a doctor for addiction is illegal

Every thing else is going pretty good- - Life has changed sooo much in the last 5 months , it really is unbelievable- -

Hope to work with this doctor to taper off the 30 mgs within the year- - hey I was on 100 mgs only 6 months ago , who whouldve thunk it- -

Still on unemployment, Huskie health care is taken care of all medical expences- Need to see a neurologist , leg pain might be a nerve issue--we,ll see- -

Hope everyone is well

love
jack

Posted: January 25, 2013, 11:10 PM
Hey Jack,
So good to hear from you and that you are doing well.I was a little worried for you, not about you:)
Talk to ya soon.
Granny

Posted: January 26, 2013, 12:24 PM
Jack ur a miracle. Amazing.

Have a great weekend.

Jeff

--------------------
It is Just Not worth it.

"Inside every older person is a younger person
wondering what the puck happened."

One Day At A Time

Posted: February 24, 2013, 12:56 PM
I HAVE COME OFF 300mg a day habit! Its been 6 weeks, I went into a treatment center cause the physical and mental withdrawal made me want to kill myself. But i feel amazing right now. I have a new attitude. I want to live! Just for today I know I will stay sober!!! One friggin day at a time. Get treatment, its worth it. Go to the right place and work a program of change. Get support, go to meetings, get a home group, talk to people. You can not do this on your own, the want is greater than you.

Posted: March 5, 2013, 3:48 PM
PocaStella,
Wow!!! Congrats!!! We need more stories of success like yours!!

You are so right,it takes change to get better and to stop listening to ourselves. We are our own worst enemy.

Keep up the good work and keep posting here. We need to hear from people like you so other addicts can understand that methadone is a great tool to use to end their addiction to opiates.

granny

--------------------

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]

Posted: March 5, 2013, 3:58 PM
I too was addicted to opiates. I was a heroin addict for 2 years and oxycontin for 6 years before that and alcohol. I have been clean for 2 years and just discovered possibly the best thing for my anxiety that caused my addiction besides prayer. I started taking a vitamin B suppliment called Niacinamide "non-flushing" 500mg not to be confused with Niacin. I take 4 a day. It took a few days for the calming effect to begin to work but it does now.It is a natural herb containing vitamin B-3. It was widely made known by one of the founders of AA and he claimed it cured his depression. The people who developed the drug Valuum, the benzodiazapam, used the chemical structure of this vitamin as a guide. This stuff has truly helped me in my recovery and my well being. There are many studies on the web and forums with success stories. Having taken about every drug out there I can honestly say that Niacinamide has the calming effect I have always been searching for without the "narcotic" feel of synthetic drugs. Best of all, a one month supply is 4 bucks and it's a VITAMIN. Crazy, i know. I too used to meet someone with a bunch of hundred dollar bills to "feel good" now I look to God and His natural cures. Obviously, you will not get the flooding of the senses like you do with eating 10 hydrocodones or shooting heroin but slow and steady wins the race. If you are truly looking to feel good naturally, I have found that this vitamin works wonders. God bless you.

Posted: March 11, 2013, 1:43 PM
I am off it now, its been 7 weeks. I feel horrible but I am working a program and getting therapy. You can do anything. It is possible. One day at a time.

Posted: March 17, 2013, 4:44 PM
to jdm4given and xLittleAnimalx,

Thanks you two for adding some positive thoughts and comments to our site!! They are greatly appreciated. Methadone can be a real life saver if the addicts will just give it a chance and be serious about their recovery.

Anything that helps along the way,vitamins,natural supplements,etc, those are welcome too.We sure dont need folks to get a handle on one addiction and add another one to it, that's for sure.

Anyway, welcome! Hope to see you around soon! Does anyone else have experience with the B vitamins?

Granny

--------------------

jackofhartz

Posted: March 25, 2013, 7:00 AM
on 2- 10mg methadone pills a day still>> This is getting mentally challenging- Back and leg pain being helped by physical therapy= = its a long process- Doctors are impressed that I havent regressed- me too- - -

Arthritis in the spine is not an easy pain to deal with- - Could it be that after 25 yrs on the klinic drinking about 100mgs a day covered up much of this pain??- -maybe -maybe not- -

Anyway- hanging in there- -Not being on a klinic and changing life style in Connecticut is a positive - -

Being honest- -there are days I feel like taking much more than 20mgs- -but then the script would run out, and Im pretty sure I would resort to the street-- - getting too old for the street game and the sure trip to Rikers that would follow when Im caught

If I can do this after all these years ,I think anyone can- maybe by end of the summer it will be over- -
NA meetings help sometimes- -other times I feel like they are a waste of time- -Worst is not being able to work- -to much time in pain not being productive-
Just keeping in touch- - hope everyone is well

love
jack

Posted: March 26, 2013, 9:27 PM
I miss you, Jack. Is your phone number the same? I tried to text you a couple of months ago but you didn't answer. If you still have my number flash a text.

Love ~ S

--------------------
You will not change what you are willing to tolerate.

user posted image

Posted: March 31, 2013, 12:28 AM
Hey Jack,
Ya know I think the 120mg you took very well could have covered the pain. Everyone i KNOW THAT HAS DROPPED DOWN TO A VERY LOW DOSE HAS HAD PAIN ISSUES. tHE ONE GUY THAT TOOK THE 2+ YEARS TO COME OFF 300+MG( stupid cap lock!!!!) had to have surgey to repair discs and stuff once he stepped off but now he is OK. Didnt even know he HAD any problems.

Even my husband. He is down to 19 I think and he has a hard time evry day with very low energy and cant seem to get past it.He refuses to go up to where he'll feel better after he has gone this long. He wants off still, but is taking his time.

They say kicking heroin can be brutal,dependant of course on how much and how good,but it doesnt last as long. Now they say methadone is not as bad,BUT, it takes longer. The trick is to DO IT SLOW. If you dont give your body time to catch up between mg drops you will be uncomfortable. Even the Doc at my clinic thinks 2 mg a week is good. NOT. Of course each person is doifferent, but if you did a Mg a month I would think you would fare much better. Of course it would take a lot longer, but whats the rush??

Glad you are hangin'.
granny

--------------------

Posted: April 11, 2013, 3:24 AM
Ok, firstly, congratulations "strongwomen29" on 1 year out of the vicious cycle. I was an IV heroin user for 7 years (the most degrading and depressing years of my life). I got off of heroin using methadone. I was on 140mg. of methadone daily for 4 years, until I got sick of being a slave to the routine of robotically getting up early and traveling to the methadone clinic for my fix. I freed myself from that slavery 9 years ago. Life has its ups and downs, but I never have to look in the mirror and not recognize myself. I can be proud of myself today.I have accomplished so much without drugs. I am a substance abuse counselor now and in school for my master's degree at 46 years old. I love life now and you will too...you are doing well.

Secondly, answering a different question: It is extremely difficult to die from an opiate/opioid withdrawal. Most deaths from withdrawal come from alcohol and benzodiazepines and other pills, especially when taken in combination.

Lastly, I thank God for methadone, it saved my life and the lives of many others. Many people stay on methadone for a lifetime because nothing else worked for their pain. They are on a pain management track. However, many doctors who prescribe methadone do so unethically and should be arrested. They are supposed to ween people off after a while, but they continue for the business.

Thank you and great luck!
jackofhartz

Posted: April 11, 2013, 9:26 AM
OK=
Here is the latest diagnosis>> After many tests, 2 months of physical therapy , assorted medicines - - Doctors have come up with" Peripheral neuropathy ">>>from what I understand this is damage to nerves of the peripheral nervous system, which may be caused either by diseases of or trauma to the nerves- -causing then to become frayed-
They told me that YES- certain drugs can cause this -
- for instance >my Mom, was on some kind of cancer drug for 5 years- after she got off it, she found that she had developed Peripheral neuropathy - They will do more blood work to rule out sh8t like diabetes ,,etc,,, but I was told that there is a good chance that by being on mdone for almost 25 yrs- -at mostly over 100mgs a day, could've hid the pain of my arthritic back, and the fact that there is herniated disk in my lower spine

It also is heredity , so with a couple of uncles ,cousins, and my mom, all suffering from similar issues , this also plays into the problem.

I still take 2- 10mg pills a day. However, apparently that isn't enuff to relieve the pain, let alone get rid of the pins &needles that is constant in my feet. I will not go back to the klinic in NY, will not start a new one in Connecticut, & most definitely not look to the streets for relief--------- so that leaves me in a position to 1)- search & search for a doctor to prescribe me some kind of non-narcotic that can help(not likely)
2)- try to convince my current doctor to prescribe a little higher of a dose, that would insure that my quality of life get better enuff for me to work, and just do the normal activities that have been robbed from me
- -- - 3)- Do nothing, suffer in silence. Some days are better than others-
Maybe as we learn more about the severity of this , the plan will become clearer. As many of you guys know, especially you pain pill/pain mngt people, lots of doctors will try and help- BUT MANY wont- -after seeing my history of drug use, especially heroin, they automatically think that I'm looking for narcotics, to either get high or to sell.
Unfair> absolutely - - Warranted- I guess so> but I'm 55yrs old, Ive haven't used anything but mdone (and clonpin) in many yrs- - I try to explain I DO NOT want to go back to a klinic, pee in a cup, talk to dopey judgmental state social workers, then stand in line with people who love the street scene and that whole life. I want to finally remove myself from it- - Sooner or later ,Im sure something will work out , but at the moment this situation sucks

So that's where I stand- >>-As to the question" Has Anyone Successfully Stopped Taking Methadone?"- - I gotta say ,speakin for myself> no,not yet<- - I went thru all the -not sleeping, intense stomach cramps, etc..etc.(for about 2 months).. so I thought the worse was over - I lost 25 lbs and really thought -OK,now its just the aches & pains I have to get over-How was I to know the issues that were going to come up- If I had a crystal ball and could've foresaw all this ,maybe I would,nt have detoxed so fast- -I wouldn't recommend going from 120mgs to 30 in about 2 months- -Im quite lucky that I made it this far without winding up in a hospital -

Thanks for reading this ,I know its more about me than any kind of advise- - but I guess I needed to see where I am - and by seeing that in writing , it kind of helps me by reminding me of the progress in the last 7-8 months

loVE youPeople * *
jack

Posted: April 11, 2013, 10:21 PM
Always glad to see your updates, Jack...I miss you...

--------------------
You will not change what you are willing to tolerate.

user posted image
Sissy

Posted: May 4, 2013, 1:00 AM
I had been on it for 7 years..and I am terrified to come off of it... I heard and read how hard and horrible it is when you are withdrawling from it. I am nervous b/c I don't want to feel all the bad things everyone is saying. I'm just looking for some people to talk to about it b/c nobody in my family knows I am on it. I am at 120mgs and have been for the past 6 to 7 years. So anybody have any suggestions?

Posted: May 4, 2013, 1:03 AM
I had been on it for 7 years..and I am terrified to come off of it... I heard and read how hard and horrible it is when you are withdrawling from it. I am nervous b/c I don't want to feel all the bad things everyone is saying. I'm just looking for some people to talk to about it b/c nobody in my family knows I am on it. I am at 120mgs and have been for the past 6 to 7 years. So anybody have any suggestions?

Posted: May 4, 2013, 1:05 AM
Please disregard the post by sissy b/c that is me too..I signed up for an account with the username MelroseGirl ...so if anybody wants to respond to my post or email me or comment then please use MelroseGirl. Thanks!

Posted: May 4, 2013, 9:00 AM
Hello and welcome! If your on 120mgs I would not just up and quit. I used to be a heroin addict and then was put on methadone for 3 yrs. It helped me alot in finding ways to cope with getting out of all the madness I was in but it to got old . This is just my opion mind you. You should talk to your doctor and do what is best for you. As far as my detox went well it was s***ty no doubt but I didnt die and today I go to NA and live a happy life most days. W/Ds don't last forever and everyones detox is different. I went to treatment for 2 weeks the first 7 were the worst of it the rest was tolarable but expect 20-25 days of being bummed. It can be done though Hugs.

Jessica
Kristen White

Posted: May 31, 2013, 9:23 AM
I'm 23 yrs old i have used pain pills off and on for approximately 5-6 yrs then was on roxycontin daily for 2 yrs i was driving and drove off the road into a ditch my now ex boyfriend was going to the methadone clinic at the time for the same reason to get off the pain pills something had to change so i decited to start going i went in talked to my counselor and the way she was talking it sounded like the best thing for me she said she could have me clean in 6 months i have now been there a year. I met my now husband who doesn't do any drugs when i met him i was at 70 milligrams I am now down to 45 as of Wednesday today is Friday so it has been 3 days since my last decrease & physically i feel fine so far i've been coming off of it slowly for the past 6 months i am beyond ready to live a long & healthy life with my husband and soon hope to start a family. my stable dose was 55 milligrams but i am so scared of what's ahead of me mentally i know after a couple weeks physically I will be ok i have had so many different people tell me so many different things i just want someone with experience to help me i need to know what milligram i should stop at can someone please help me?
post replypost new topic