Heroine Recovery
Posted: December 28, 2015, 4:50 PM

How do I help and show support to a recovering heroine addict?!
Please anything will be helpful! I just want to be supportive and not just be selfish and take everything personal.
Posted: January 3, 2016, 8:46 PM

Without knowing more of the situation, it's kind of hard to answer. The most important thing in my opinion is to keep your boundaries in place and encourage them to attend meetings and to lead a sober life. Encourage them to do things that are good for their mental and physical well being. If they are actively in recovery, go to the gym together, go for walks, take a class together. Normal type living things that have nothing to do with addiction. You are not their substance abuse counselor or therapist, you are not a doctor (I assume) so don't try to go there. If the person tries to discuss things that would be in that area, just say that you feel that's something they should talk over with a counselor. Good luck.
Michelle

--------------------
Michelle
Posted: January 4, 2016, 12:05 PM

I have a hard time separating my head & my heart. I try to support without enabling. That isn't easy since the addict in my life is my daughter. She at the moment is not allowed to live at home until she shows she is making healthy choices in her recovery. It is very hard. Sometimes I want her home so I can make sure she's safe. But that isn't fair to my other children. I am hoping she misses her sober life before the monster consumes her. I don't hate my addict just the disease. Try to set your boundaries & stick with them. Like I tell my daughter I will feed you, but not give you money to buy food.
  top of page  Top