Printable Version of Topic
Click here to view this topic in its original format
Message Board > Heroin > How Long Does Naltrexone Work?


Posted by: onyx December 23, 2004, 12:27 PM
How long will a 50mg pill of naltrexone work as an opiate blocker? My bf takes 1 pill each day but I've heard it lasts longer than a day. It is expensive and we are broke! I don't think he really even needs it anymore but it makes me feel better knowing he's on it!

Posted by: The Silent Partner December 23, 2004, 9:50 PM
it only works properly if you take it every day. Dont cut down the dose becausde it is expensive, drug abuse costs more financially and socially.

Dont discourage him from taking Naltrexone because *you* think he doesnt need it. That is for him to decide.

Posted by: Guest January 1, 2005, 12:34 AM
Naltrexone can out last blood levels.stopping Naltrexone is like Russian Roulette.

Naltrexone has sent many to their deaths world wide.

addicts are disposable,so it is not reported.

Federal gov and Congress are investors.

need i say anymore?

Just say no to Naltrexone......it kills addicts

Posted by: The Silent Partner January 1, 2005, 7:30 AM
Just say no to anonymous posters with conspiracy theories that are patently stupid, incorrect and hurting people who need help.

Naltrexone does not kill, although there is a risk of overdose after stopping Naltrexone when addicts start using again at old dosages.

This is due to decreased hepatic tolerance, not Naltrexone.

Posted by: Guest January 4, 2005, 3:19 AM
Silent Partner.

"Naltrexone does not kill, although there is a risk of overdose after stopping Naltrexone when addicts start using again at old dosages."

Dr. Colin Brewer warns (over 20 yrs experience ) even small amts of drug can kill.

"Naltrexone implants and naltrexone tablets taken regularly seem able to block even large amounts of heroin or other opiates. Many patients test out the blockade in the first few days and are reassured to find it works. However, it can be dangerous to try to overcome the blockade by using enormous amount especially when the implant may be starting to wear off, i.e. any time after about five weeks, because you could be at serious risk of a potentially lethal overdose. When you have been clean for a few weeks, you lose your tolerance of opiates. That means that even quite a small
amount of heroin could kill you if you were not protected by naltrexone. Abstinence from opiates has risks as well as benefits. There is a sad and steady trickle of overdose deaths in patients who had been clean for weeks or months and thought they deserved a little treat. DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU.

I have read some science that suggested (animal testing) that Naltrexone can allow another drug to become more toxic,which also suggests it is not due to loss of tolerance.

It has been questioned if the Naltrexone out lasts blood serums.


you said:
This is due to decreased hepatic tolerance, not Naltrexone.

Australian trials linked the drug to overdose and suicide.

http://opioids.com/naltrexone/suicide.html

Implants have patents,are not f.d.a. approved ,and had problems with the carrier.

The U.S buries Naltrexone patients as routine drug overdose while others report : Bell's evaluation of the actual (as opposed to experimental) use of Naltrexone in the Medical Journal of Australia was scathingly negative: not only did Naltrexone fail to end addiction for virtually all addicts, it increased the risk of overdose. Of 30 addicts prescribed naltrexone, by three months only six were still taking it, four of whom still sometimes used heroin.

A drug that was never clinically or scientifically proven used on addicts for decades.

Addicts paid for treatment .
Naltrexone does not treat addiction .
Addicts paid for maintenance.......and were buried as drug overdose while doctors experiment.

Sir,i am not here to hurt someone,i'm here to hopefully stop a death.
Just because it's not reported,does not mean its not happening.

I'm still waiting for Merck (makers of Vioxx) to report the dangers that they have known for decades.
Who knows maybe the scientists did report the dangers but lost their jobs as others did who are now blowing whistles with the f.d.a.
Congress wanted this drug developed and we all know Congress has zero tolerence for drug addiction.
Just another dead addict...
I tried myself to be a whistleblower to stop the deaths, Congress won't have it.
Carol




Posted by: The Silent Partner January 4, 2005, 3:32 AM
I am in Australia, not the U.S. The Australia TGA has approved implants. There are no Naltrexone related deaths reported in Australia, only overdoses subsequent to Naltrexone therapy, or overdoses due to addicts trying to beat the implants. This is not naltrexone killing addicts, its is overdoses killing addicts.

There are no clinical trials in the literature to support your claims. Naltrexone was developed as a treatment for alcoholism so your theory that congress created to kill of addicts is ridiculous.

If your argument was that Naltrexine users were at a high risk of overdose by (a) trying to beat the implant/oral dose, or (b) by using after stopping Naltrexone then I would agree with you but every person on Naltrexone is warned of this. This no secret nor is it a coverup.

I know you mean well, I just disagree with you.

Posted by: onyx January 4, 2005, 10:22 PM
Maybe we should make it illegal for people to stop using heroin. If they quit by ANY means and then do a large amount of heroin they could OD since their tolerance for the drug will have decreased since they stopped using. Naltrexone does not kill the people, heroin does. Same idea with doing h when you're on naltrexone. Some people try desperately to get high by trying to "beat" the blocker with huge amounts of h. The same amount of h would kill you either way, you're just more likely to use higher doses with naltrexone.
By the way, my bf is the one who wants to stop taking the naltrexone, I am not trying to pressure him into anything. He thinks he is ready to stop using it, I am the one who's nervous about that idea. He's been clean for 4 months and doing really well I just like knowing he CAN"T get high vs. he decides not to get high.

Posted by: Guest January 6, 2005, 12:50 AM
Silentpartner,

I am in Australia, not the U.S. The Australia TGA has approved implants

They probably approved implants because of doctors saying they " used" and overdose killed these patients.

Did they research the carrriers that the naltrexone implant is suppose to release?

Can the dose be adjusted ?
will the recommended dose deliver at least 50 mg to block the high ?

Research proved not all addicts are blocked by 50mg,which is common sence.

Naltrexone in trials blocked X amount of heroin IV, WHAT ABOUT TODAYS POTENCY ? TRIALS WERE DECADES AGO.
WHAT ABOUT SNORTING ?

In the U.S YES,ADDICTS ARE BURIED AS ROUTINE OVERDOSE WHEN BEING TREATED WITH NALTREXONE,
but Australia has made much noise about the deaths .

The drug never completed clinical trials.
To this day there is no science that proves Naltrexone maintenance.

To this day the NIDA REPORTS NALTREXONE DOES NOT TREAT ADDICTION.
The biggest reason for relapse !!!!!!!!

Relapse is what causes the death when the antagonist is not working to prevent the blockade,and the receptors are blocked causing the accidental overdose and possible death.

research........i did.........my son was one of the original guineapigs when Doctor Gooberman " America's Pioneers implanted this drug, not following f.d.a protocol, pateneted the implant with no science or proof ,yet sold it as the "cure" that would end addiction.
That was the reason for my research.
I have 6 yrs of documented proof of the scam.

If you think there is not corruption in state and Government,

f.d.a, ASAM........THINKAGAIN........YOU WERE DOPED.

F.d.a safety has been questioned for yrs .

Investments mean more then lives .

Got any questions i can answer?

i'd be happy to , but don't tell me idon't know what i'm talking about..........i buried a healthy son who walked in to treatment CLEAN AND DIED WITH THE IMPLANT STILL UNDER TREATMENT .

I ASKED FOR THE STATUS OF THE IMPLANTED DRUG NALTREXONE BE TESTED.

AUTOPSY DID NOT CHECK...........I SEARCHED FOR THE ANSWERS AND GOT THEM,WITH SCIENCE TO PROVE THE IMPLANT KILLED MY SON HE DIED WITH
MORE DRUGS IN HIS SYSTEM UNDER TREATMENT THEN HE USED PRIOR AND I'M SURE nALTREXONE CONTRIBUTED TO THE HIGHLEVELS OF DRUGS BECAUSE IT IS AN OPIOID .

PARAMEDICS DID NOT KNOW WHAT THE IMPLANT WAS WHEN THEY RESPONDED.
THE MEDCIA L ALERT # WAS NEVER ANSWERED BY THE DOCTOR.
THIS IS AMERICA'S PIONEER , WHO SEND HIS PATENTED IMPLANT NATION IGNORING NALTREXONE IS A SCHEDULED DRUG .

According to the media awareness project, Implants were labeled 'NOT FOR HUMAN USE .

NOW TELL ME THERE IS NO SCAM .
WHERE IS THE DEA?
Carol






Posted by: The Silent Partner January 6, 2005, 2:08 AM
Carol wrote "They probably approved implants because of doctors saying they " used" and overdose killed these patients."

No, Australia has its own Therapeutic Goods Administration, this is not a third world country. All drugs are approved before sale in this country.

Carol wrote: Did they research the carrriers that the naltrexone implant is suppose to release?

TGA thoroughly checks all drugs and there are currently 21 Randomised Control Trials underway to further evaluate the efficacy of Naltrexone.

Carol wrote: Can the dose be adjusted ?
will the recommended dose deliver at least 50 mg to block the high ?

Of course the dose can in tabelts but not in implants. Tablet dose is adjusted, usually on the basis of body weight. many are on a daily dose of 25 mg. Anyone who gets an implant before trying oral Naltrexone is unwise in my view.

Carol wrote: Research proved not all addicts are blocked by 50mg,which is common sence.

Of course, recommended dosages are just that, recommended. They can be titrated up and down, so what is your point?

Carol wrote: Naltrexone in trials blocked X amount of heroin IV, WHAT ABOUT TODAYS POTENCY ? TRIALS WERE DECADES AGO.
WHAT ABOUT SNORTING ?

What are you talking about? You don't understand how Naltrexone works. Potency of heroin goes up and down depending on its producer. Naltrexone does not need to be altered based on the strength of the heroin. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Trials on Naltrexone are not decades ago since it has only been used in addicts recently. Prior to that it was used only for alcoholics.


Carol wrote: in the U.S YES,ADDICTS ARE BURIED AS ROUTINE OVERDOSE WHEN BEING TREATED WITH NALTREXONE,
but Australia has made much noise about the deaths .

The deaths ARE due to overdose, so AGAIN what is your point? There have ZERO, NONE, NOUGHT deaths in Australia due to Naltrexone. There have been many deaths due to heroin overdose.

Carol wrote: The drug never completed clinical trials.
To this day there is no science that proves Naltrexone maintenance.

There is plenty of science, but it is true that there were no Randomised Control trials before Naltrexone was approved. This is true in the majority of drug approvals anywhere in the world. Especially when a drug is proven for one application and is found useful for another such as naltrexone has been. This was the case for Viagra as it was developed as a treatmenrt for hypertension then found to be effective in treatment of male impotence. It was approved before any RCT's were performed under its new application. This proves nothing except that you don't understand the FDA or TGA drug approval process.

Carol wrote: To this day the NIDA REPORTS NALTREXONE DOES NOT TREAT ADDICTION.
The biggest reason for relapse !!!!!!!!

Who said it treated addiction, it doesn't. Naltrexone blocks opiates. It keeps addicts clean providing they don't stop the therapy. Methadone doesnt "treat" addiction, it is a maintenance therapy, so is buprenorphine in the forms of Subutex and Suboxone.
Naltrexone is ALWAYS recommended as part of an overall recovery program that should involve peer support, counselling etc. If addicts dont undertake these asppects and relapse, this has NOTHING to do with Naltrexone. Again, just because people relapse does not mean that Naltrexone kills people and it does not mean it isn't a useful therapy.


Carol wrote: Relapse is what causes the death when the antagonist is not working to prevent the blockade,and the receptors are blocked causing the accidental overdose and possible death.

No, this isn't true. Death comes from a toxic dose of opiate. It happens in two ways, (1) by trying to beat active Naltrexone for a high, and overdosing and (2) by using opiates after stopping Naltrexone. Addicts are much more sensitive to opiates after stopping Naltrexone than they were when they started it because they have eliminated their developed tolerance. This happens with or without Naltrexone for any relapsing addict. ALL Naltrexone is prescribed with full instruction on the risk of overdose due to lowered hepatic tolerance.

IF YOU TAKE NALTREXONE AND DONT USE OPIATES, YOU CANT DIE. iF YOU STOP TAKING NALTREXONE AND DONT USE OPIATES, YOU CANT DIE. Naltrexone does not kill.


Carol wrote: research........i did.........my son was one of the original guineapigs when Doctor Gooberman " America's Pioneers implanted this drug, not following f.d.a protocol, pateneted the implant with no science or proof ,yet sold it as the "cure" that would end addiction.
That was the reason for my research.
I have 6 yrs of documented proof of the scam.

So did your son die because he tried to beat the implant, or because he used after the implant ran out? This is not research by the way its anecdotal commentary.

Carol wrote: If you think there is not corruption in state and Government,

f.d.a, ASAM........THINKAGAIN........YOU WERE DOPED.

I think you mean duped. I am sure there is corruption in your Government. This doesn't have anything to do with Naltrexone. BTW it is used all over the world, do you think the U.S Congress is conspiring to kill addicts all over the world? I don't. Just saying it is happened doesn tmake it so. As I have said before, Naltrexone was developed for alcoholism, not drugs so your conspiracy theory is ridiculous.

Carol wrote: F.d.a safety has been questioned for yrs .Investments mean more then lives . Got any questions i can answer?

No, your inane ramblings so far are quite enough and you are wasting everyones time.

Carol wrote: i'd be happy to , but don't tell me idon't know what i'm talking about..........i buried a healthy son who walked in to treatment CLEAN AND DIED WITH THE IMPLANT STILL UNDER TREATMENT .

I am sorry that your son died, but he died due to an overdose by trying to beat the implant. He was warned of this. This is an overose like any other.


Carol wrote: ASKED FOR THE STATUS OF THE IMPLANTED DRUG NALTREXONE BE TESTED. AUTOPSY DID NOT CHECK...........I SEARCHED FOR THE ANSWERS AND GOT THEM,WITH SCIENCE TO PROVE THE IMPLANT KILLED MY SON HE DIED WITH MORE DRUGS IN HIS SYSTEM UNDER TREATMENT THEN HE USED PRIOR AND I'M SURE nALTREXONE CONTRIBUTED TO THE HIGHLEVELS OF DRUGS BECAUSE IT IS AN OPIOID .

OK now i know you do not know what you are talking about because Naltrexone is NOT an opioid. It is an opioid antagonist. If you dont understand the difference go and speak with your local pharmacist.

FYI: Naltrexone (naltrexone hydrochloride), an opioid antagonist, is a synthetic congener of oxymorphone with no opioid agonist properties. Naltrexone differs in structure from oxymorphone in that the methyl group on the nitrogen atom is replaced by a cyclopropylmethyl group. Naltrexone is also related to the potent opioid antagonist, naloxone, or n-allylnoroxymorphone [NARCAN (naloxone hydrochloride)]. The CAS Registry Number of naltrexone hydrochloride is 16676-29-2. The chemical name of naltrexone hydrochloride is 17-(cyclopropylmethyl)-4,5a -epoxy-3,14-dihydroxymorphinan-6-one hydrochloride. Naltrexone hydrochloride is a white, crystalline compound. The hydrochloride salt is soluble in water to the extent of about 100mg/mL. Naltrexone is available in scored tablets containing 50mg of naltrexone hydrochloride and by implant.

Naltrexone in tablet form also contain lactose, microcrystalline cellulose, crospovidone, colloidal silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, titanium dioxide, polyethylene glycol, polysorbate 80, yellow iron oxide and red iron oxide.

Carol wrote: PARAMEDICS DID NOT KNOW WHAT THE IMPLANT WAS WHEN THEY RESPONDED.

They should have adminstered Narcan until he responded. So they were imcompetent, what does this have to do with your arguement.

Carol wrote: THE MEDCIA L ALERT # WAS NEVER ANSWERED BY THE DOCTOR. THIS IS AMERICA'S PIONEER , WHO SEND HIS PATENTED IMPLANT NATION IGNORING NALTREXONE IS A SCHEDULED DRUG .

So sue the DR and stop blaming the drug that you do understand.

Carol wrote: According to the media awareness project, Implants were labeled 'NOT FOR HUMAN USE .

This is not true.

Carol wrote: NOW TELL ME THERE IS NO SCAM .
WHERE IS THE DEA?

Carol you are clearly and justifiably upset over the death of your son but you are not undertanding how naltrexone works, what type of drug it is, nor that overdose is inevitable if a user is hellbent on beating the implant. There are many addicts who have substantial clean time, have turned their lives around and are living again due to the assistance of Naltrexone. It helps reduce obsessive thinking and cravings. Naltrexone does not kill (cause and effect), opiate overdose kills. If you dont use, you dont die.

If you are angry with the Dr who implanted your son, then sue him and leave us alone. Or go and write about it on a medical malpractice support group website.

Posted by: thefieryone April 13, 2015, 1:54 PM
To the silent partner: You,sir, are a heartless f*** for speaking to this woman the way you have regarding her son. Using a naltrexone implant becomes unethical when we consider the disease model of the suffering individual. Sometimes relapses are essential in gaining groundbreaking recovery. His opportunity was taken from him when when he accepted to have that implant placed inside of him without really being prepared for the ramifications awaiting him. You're an atheist, I bet? Me? I'm a junkie. A Christian junkie.

Posted by: Guest June 20, 2015, 10:06 AM
Carol, I'm sorry to say, however you have no idea how Naltrexone works. I have had implants my self and it has changed my life! People do not die from Naltrexone, they die because they agree to have an implant and decide after the fact that they still want to use and so, have to use massive amounts to break through the blockage of the opioid receptors and as a result OD. People die because they get their heroin dosage wrong not from the Naltrexone! Naltrexone is a god send!

Posted by: answer simply September 27, 2015, 11:12 AM
for how many hours does it keep blocking the drug since the final dose!

Posted by: Loving mom September 30, 2015, 9:47 AM
I have read these posts. Today I convinced my son who I love dearly to have a naltrexone implant..
we both know the risks.. if we don't try this.. his chances are limited anyway..
he drives around high ..drunk.. has tried to commit suicide x4 and I live in fear of him killing someone on the roads wherever he searches for drugs.. I wake up and there are strange men in my house...

I have tried rehab.. meds..psychiatry...love..prayer and pilgrimages... I have to try naltrexone.

everyday we take drugs with medial inserts that tell us how they may kill us ..

the drugs he takes are made by uneducated, money hungry people who have no conscience.. why would you defame a doctor who is offering me hope?

I will keep you posted... I have no regrets!!! at least I know I tried to help .. but have faith it will work!!

Posted by: babylove October 4, 2015, 11:35 PM
I too will keep faith in hope that it will work too. My opinion, every thing that we put in us is something that can fatally harm us or if not then could really do damage. The food, the drinks to even second hand smoke. Even when we think we are doing good by not eating crap food but only organic. Then we find out that something we just purchased and ate from Wholefoods has been recalled. So what's the worst that can happen. You tried everything else already. I know the worst that can happen would be death. But if we continue to use drugs then death is still very close to us anyways. I'm sorry if I am invading your space right now. But I wish u luck with this. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Posted by: pepa October 8, 2015, 7:06 PM
Hi people! I once had serious problem with drugs (15 years of mostly heroin use, besides stimulants, hallucinogens and 5 years of jail time due to drug-related problems with law). So, once I hit the bottom. After years of trying to get rid of my deadly habit, someone recommended Naltrexone. I had nothing to lose! So, instead of taking pills, I chose implant, surgically placed under my skin, so I did not need to take the pill every day. I did some research and found very cheap implants and detox medical treatment In Serbia. I went there and I was very satisfied with the service. I got more than a medical treatment, people really took good care of me.

After 2 years and a couple of implants I managed to gain back control of my life. Nalterxone implants helped me beat the drug craving and avoid relapses. It worked perfectly well for me.

Now days, I have a steady job and loving girlfriend, but I always have my eyes open because I would not like to lose everything again.
I still have on-line counseling sessions with my psychologist from the organization that took me to Serbia.

If you ask me, you should definitely try implants. And, don’t give up- keep fighting!

Posted by: cleanandcrazy December 26, 2015, 4:49 AM
Naltrexone is like Karate. Take it so that you will never need to use it. This is kinda complicated. I will try and explain.

I take naltrexone in the morning when I get up. I do this so that later that day when I encounter a trigger, there is no point in picking up. Im not able t get high, why go out of my way to spend money for nothing. It stops being an option. When it stops being an option you stop thinking about it. I have lost the obsession to use completely (but sometimes still have using dreams).

If you are no longer going through withdrawal it is very unlikely that you will get out of bed one morning and decide "maybe I will pick up later today" and not take Naltrexone. If you don't trust yourself to take it everyday it is also available in a MONTHLY INJECTION.
It does seem rediculas at first to spend money on Naltrexone because if you don't take it and don't use, what is the point? DONT THINK LIKE THIS! THE ONLY THING TRUE ABOUT YOU IS YOUR USING HISTORY. THE REST IS JUST INTENTIONS THAT YOU HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO FULLFILL SO FAR.

The 2 major benefits for me have been:
- I am not driven to maddness by cravings. This is priceless!
- For once I feel safe from relapse. I am guaranteed clean time for as long as I take it. I know that this time next year I will be clean and will have a year of recovery behind me. It is guaranteed.

I haven't even bothered to test Naltrexone to see if it actually works. If it does work the consiquences will be withdrawal symptoms, and I haven't been very motivated to schedule a period of time to test Naltrexone (and probably not get high and experience withdrawal). This would just piss me off. I would rather do anything else. I would also risk overdosing because I wouldn't be able to feel how strong/or amount of heroin I'm taking. That's scary. If you are really stupid don' t take Naltrexone or you might die.

I have only known 1 person who got clean using methadone. Many people end up using methadone and heroin together. Then they're screwed. Then Naltrexone isn't even an option anymore. (You must be free from opiates in your system at least a week to start Naltrexone). Good luck with that. lol. Its not impossible, but not realistic either (over a short term anyway).

Using Suboxone (another opiate) isn't a good option because your brain will not "rewire" itself (neuron pathways) which takes around 90 days. If you use Suboxone you still will have an addict's brain. Suboxone can make a huge difference in a persons life, but if you want to recover from addiction the opiates need to stop completely. .

Then you can start tackling weed, and alcohol, and Naltrexone makes drinking "less pleasurable."

Start trying to accept the way you feel naturally no matter what. It is the only way you will ever be truly happy. Ask yourself "if I am truly ok with who I am and how I feel, why would I take something to feel differently."

Good luck to anyone struggling with kicking heroin. I have now accepted that there is no end to heroin recovery. I will be in recovery until the day I die. Heroin changed my life permanently. To deny this is ("I'm ok now" attitude) would be my first step to unprovoked relapse. Stoping taking Naltrexone would be the second step. And picking up dope would be the third step.

Peace out b!tches! :)

Posted by: Budly January 7, 2016, 12:45 PM
Howdy,

I have used Naltrexone for 6 months now coming off a bad alcoholic binge. They prescribed it when I was in treatment in July.

All I know this time, is it really helped my cravings and as someone mentioned prior, it helped me think twice when wanting to pick up a drink. It was instantly gratifying to know that I wouldn't feel the effects of alcohol (so they say and I wouldn't know), so why pick up.

I did finally stop taking it last week and still haven't had the urge to pick up.

I didn't read all the blogs but I am sold on how it helped me....just sayin

Thanks,

Posted by: Queen Elizabeth 1 January 7, 2016, 1:22 PM
Loving mom,Carol,
I hurt to read your posts...
My son is addicted to something else,but the heartache remains the same...
I don't usually pray,but it's starting to sound like a good idea...Sending you both prayers and blessings....from the heart.
QE1

Posted by: chris March 31, 2016, 9:04 AM
i have a ? i took 8 methadome pills yesterday when does anyone think i can start my naltrexone pills safty???

Posted by: Naltrexone Gal October 9, 2016, 3:47 AM
Naltrexone is not an opiod. It's an opioid blocker. It is not like subutex or suboxone which both do have some forms of a synthetic opioid in it. Safest time to stop taking naltrexone is 4-6 months clean.

Posted by: lt123 August 24, 2017, 9:46 AM
As silly as it is, I've "tested" the effectiveness of Naltrexone pills in a number of ways as part of planned relapses. I have found that no matter the amount I take (as little as 5-10mg, as much as 50-100mg) you can expect a bare minimum of 96 hours before you feel anything, much less the euphoria you are looking for in the first place. After 5 days or more you will begin to feel the effects fully again.

I have tested this timeline a few ways: after daily doses @ 50 and later @ 25mg, after a single 25mg dose to rapidly detox, etc. Doesn't seem to matter if you take one tablet or 100 in a row, if you want to get high again you'll be waiting at least 5 days. Didn't stop me from wasting plenty of cash on pills that didn't do a thing but make me groggy the next morning.

I suspect that the company claims only 24 hours blocking effects to incentivize you to buy more pills, but that may be the cynical skeptic in me talking. In my personal experience, there is no question that if you are limited in funds and/or naltrexone and still want to stay clean that you can take half a tablet every other day or even every 3 days and still retain the same blocking effects. I don't recommend it, because part of its effectiveness lies in consistent usage, but if it's a dire situation and your choice is either split your last couple of pills over the course of a week and stay clean, or take the last 2 and then get high a few days later, I think the choice should be fairly obvious.

This is truly a miraculous drug -- IF you're ready for it. Clearly I'm not done blowing thousands of dollars a week and ruining my personal relationships or I would be taking it more seriously.