< prev  next >  post replypost new topic
Auto Loan

Posted: August 18, 2019, 12:31 PM
Update on vehicle situation with my son. Payment was 1 month late again. He did secure insurance, but only paid for 1 month, simply to appease me. The last straw was 2 weeks ago when his roommate was driving MY vehicle and got a DUI. Since my son wasn't in the vehicle at the time, they impounded the car for 3 days. I was shocked that I didn't hear about this since I am the primary name on the loan. Anyway, my son and whoever quickly came up with the $315 to get the car out... funny how money is available for things when they need it! 2 days later a friend and I did a "carjacking". Staked out his apartment for 3 hours till he came home. Once he was in bed, I went up and drove the car off. I texted him that he simply wasn't responsible enough to have a vehicle.

So, I have peace of mind knowing the vehicle is off the road. I cleaned it all up, emptied out all his personal belongings and a friend & myself dropped everything off on his porch. I put insurance on it for the rest of the year a minimal cost and drive it occasionally. Nice 2017 Chevy Cruze. He does have a key so I keep it secure in my garage. I need to park it outside soon, any thoughts on how do "rig" the car so he can't come over and drive it off?

I'm very confused about the title and appreciate any insight on this. I am PRIMARY on the loan, registration, etc. But his name is "co-owner". How does that work if I try to sell the car outright? The payoff is small so I could pay it off I guess and they would mail me the title. Then I could sell it. It will be IMPOSSIBLE to get him to sign off on a title at this point.

More good news: I took him off my phone plan the same day. I don't feel bad about losing a relationship with my son at this point, because there was NO relationship. He was simply using me.

I found evidence of suboxone prescriptions in the car. Don't even know much about this. He maintains he didn't "relapse". I said "please stop insulting my intelligence"!

Will be anxious for your thoughts.

Posted: August 18, 2019, 3:30 PM
GREAT work!! I am impressed and inspired.

I only have experience with a friend situation (friend stopped paying). Both names on the car. A police officer told my friend she would have to go to small claims. I hope someone has more info for you.

As far as keeping the car secure, you could purchase one of those car-jacking prevention bars, especially if you plan to mostly let the car sit.

Posted: August 18, 2019, 4:56 PM
Yes, good for you!! I think I would pay off the remainder of the loan and get your name as sole owner on the title. (only if you can afford to) Then I would text him and tell him the car is solely yours and if he attempts to get the car the police will be called immediate!y. I also would tell him you are willing to charge him to the the full extent of the law. Sounds harsh I know, but I find clear and direct communication is the only thing they understand (and that's a sometimes).

Posted: August 18, 2019, 7:26 PM
Pay off the car. Put a club on the steering wheel. That will slow him down.

Posted: August 18, 2019, 11:29 PM
Hi - I am impressed too! it needed to be done. Proud of you! the DWI with friend driving is a deal breaker. I would have been afraid of the fall out ( you took my car, your fault.. blah blah,...)

Are both names on title.?
Your name is on registration?

You are primary on loan? I think names on loan don’t matter . When it is paid off a letter will be mailed to you? Stating the loan is paid off. In ny you don’t get a new title, the letter and title you have are given to the new buyer. Before paying off loan call loan company to confirm the mailing address is yours, not your sons.

Posted: August 20, 2019, 1:57 PM
Thank you all for your input. Before I even ready of yours posts, last night I went and purchased a club and attached it to the steering wheel. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow in a vain attempt to see if they might "buy it back", but doubtful.

I emailed him today saying I want my name off the title and can he secure a loan to refinance the vehicle in his name only. Of course we all know, this is impossible, but I put it out there.

I'm leaning towards paying it off and who ever said make sure the title comes to me: Yes! Absolutely!

Posted: August 22, 2019, 4:22 PM
Sadly this is perfect example of why never get a car in your name for an addict or alcoholic.

If he had insurance on the vehicle that's good because his insurance rates will go up.The insurance company might take offense if he didn't list his friend as a potential driver and they now know potential drivers of the insured car are drunks. This is why many insurance companies make you list every licensed driver in the home.

Be careful though because if there is an accident the owners still have some responsibility regardless of who bought the insurance.

Good that you are pulling your assistance on the car. Just signing for it is assistance even though he is supposed to pay the bills. You loaned your name out and he could mess it up with one drink too many.

Posted: September 4, 2019, 10:32 AM
Thoughts are appreciated in advance. I sold the vehicle yesterday and got enough to pay off the loan. I chose a dealership literally 2 streets from where my 27 year old son lives. He is refusing to stop by the dealership to sign off on the title.

Giving me some big story about trying to secure a loan to buy it from me.

What a mess and I will NEVER cosign for anybody again.

Posted: September 4, 2019, 6:17 PM
There might be a way for you to acquire a new title with only your name. I know it can be done when one brings a car to the junk yard with no title... or if someone leaves a vehicle in a storage lot and decides they don’t want the car and the salvage yard takes ownership. Maybe the dealership can help w that especially if they are used to dealing w used cars.

Yes my thoughts exactly. Not going to co-sign or put anyone on our insurance.

This post has been edited by NyToFlorida on September 4, 2019, 6:18 PM

Posted: September 5, 2019, 10:52 AM
Thanks! I will check with the dealership.

Worst case scenario I refinance the loan in my name only, get the title mailed to me with only my name and then sell it outright.

Posted: September 5, 2019, 6:19 PM
They are always ‘trying’ to do something!

? Is he still working and able to get to job?

Posted: September 6, 2019, 9:55 AM
He claims he is working as a laborer and will provide paystubs as proof. I'm not interested, as this may just be a "temporary" gig he picked up.

He finally texted me back late last night. He went to the dealership yesterday and is still refusing to sign the title over to me so they can obtain ownership of it.

He claims they told him he doesn't have to sign and can drive the car off the lot since it's "50/50" as he put it. I find this hard to believe. Haven't heard anything from the dealer yet.

Wednesday marked the 2 year anniversary of my 59 year old husband's death. I certainly don't need this aggravation on top of an already difficult week.

I'm working today on refinancing the loan in my name only. Thank goodness the Dealership is being very, very patient. Of course, they will make a tidy little profit on the vehicle.

It amazes me how the addict continues to play the victim game and tries to blame everyone else for the consequences of their poor choices. I'm weary of this after 11 years.

Posted: September 7, 2019, 9:10 AM
My son successfully drove the vehicle off the lot 2 days ago. I was assured the car would be "safe" and blocked in to prevent him from getting at it. To ensure that it wasn't "stolen" I requested to watch the Dealership's Surveillance videos. Sure enough, there he was, calmly walking to the car and driving it away.

I'm back to square one and it really stinks. Haven't slept for 2 nights. He's driving it uninsured. I gave him to 12 Noon today to provide proof of insurance. If no insurance, I'm reporting the vehicle to the police as being illegally driven by him. Scary thing to do, but I have no choice.

I hope this helps someone out there. I truly trusted this dealer to "hide" the vehicle, and prevent my son from taking it. He smooth talked them obviously. I went over yesterday and did get my key to the vehicle. Not ruling out taking possession of the car again in a couple days, once he misses a payment. Waiting for him to let his guard down a bit. How sad and ridiculous is this?

Thanks. This helps me just to be able to write about it.

Posted: September 7, 2019, 9:54 AM

Hello Anauj, I am confused. You said you sold the car and paid off the loan. Did you mean the dealership said they would buy it back, but was waiting for your son to sign the title, and the sale had not gone thru?

I did some google'ing and found a few posts. hope the links work:

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/i...ig-4523979.html

This option might work if you are willing to bribe your son...

(incase the link does not open) the post states, get your son to agree to sign the title to sell the car by giving him a portion of the 'profit' .

perhaps you can find the 'sweet spot' of how much to give him so he can re-buy the car by putting down enough on a car so he does not need a co-signer.

This post has been edited by NyToFlorida on September 7, 2019, 10:40 AM

Posted: September 7, 2019, 10:36 AM
Eeek Anauj what a mess so sorry you are having to deal with all this....it's very sad what he is putting you through. I hope this all gets resolved soon so you can have some peace.

Posted: September 8, 2019, 2:11 PM
Thanks NyToFlorida for that link. I'll check it out soon!

It is confusing I know... I received an offer from a dealer which was basically just enough to pay off the vehicle. (Visited many other dealers and they all came in with the same offer). My son refused to sign off on that title giving the right to sell the vehicle. Legally, because his name is on the title, he did nothing wrong by driving the car off the lot a few days ago. Actually, the salesman suggested he do that since he wasn't willing to sign and sell vehicle to them!

I need to get my name off the title whatever it takes. Meanwhile, yesterday he surprised me and made the payment (early) and acquired insurance on the vehicle again. Sent proof of everything including policy numbers. I had a "slight" peace for the day but next month may be a different story again.

Thanks everybody!

Posted: September 8, 2019, 2:13 PM
One last thing: I tried to "sweeten the pot" for him like you said and offer 1/2 of the proceeds from the car. Unfortunately, all dealers are only offering enough to pay it off. There's NO profit for me or him. Sad.

I did get my key for the car from the dealer. Also, I demanded to see their surveillance footage to ensure my son took the car and not the roommate (who drives it). The dealer couldn't tell me for sure who drove the car off the lot (supposedly). So there was my son, on the film, and legally, there's not a darn thing I can do about it.

Posted: September 8, 2019, 2:56 PM
If you know a lawyer you can consult with them about the situation and see if there are any legal loop holes to get him off the title.

Posted: September 8, 2019, 10:07 PM
Hi - I think the only thing you can do is keep up the pressure on your son. To be sure payments and insurance are being paid. if they are not, then you take the car until he makes the payments. Unfortunately you will have to be the 'car' police. very exhausting.

Maybe he now knows 'You mean business' and maybe he will stay in good standing w the car.

Also, keep at him to secure a loan so he can buy you out. and put all of the car in his name. If he can't get a loan, suggest he double his payments to pay it off sooner.

I just had this thought - for as long as you are on the loan, keep your name on the title. that way you do own 50% of the car and can drive it at any time.

I hope you don't have to suffer too long with this situation!! but I know car loans can go on for many years... :(

Posted: September 8, 2019, 10:27 PM
I know, take your name off the title so that way you are not responsible. He'll be soley responsible and I think we know how that usually ends up. Just a thought...
post replypost new topic