< prev  post replypost new topic
Can A Former Drug Addict-cokhead---drink Alcohol
Mr. b

Posted: August 31, 2015, 2:53 PM
Everyone is different I know many people who were once like I was (out of control) but now have grow up with no difficulty staying away for drugs and do drink so I think you will have to answer that yourself. As for me I still struggle so something in my mind and body is different from them. That what AA teaches you either can or you cannot.
Mr. b

Posted: August 31, 2015, 3:16 PM
Everyone is different I know people who were once just like me (out of control) but they have stopped with no problem and continue to drink with no problem. I still struggle, some of those people quit 2yrs ago 10yrs ago even 20yrs ago. Something in my mind and body is different than there's. You will have to answer this for yourself.
anonymous

Posted: January 27, 2016, 4:04 AM
My boyfriend broke up with me because he thinks he will ruin my life by staying with me . He is addicted to alcohol and cocaine.
When he tries to stop, he always relapses, drinks and if drinking too much.. He takes coke...

What to do??
He is the love of my life and I am his. How can I help if he keeps pushing me away???
Sheryl

Posted: February 21, 2016, 3:50 AM
Luv, if he broke up with you because of his addictions,consider yourself lucky! As the 70 yr. old mom of a recovering addict (16yrs+) for me and the rest of his family we out of respect don't drink alcohol at get together such as birthdays...Thanksgiving etc.! If the day ever comes when he tell us it no longer bothers him,then we might change our thinking!

If you really love this man,from a distance, encourage him to seek HELP ASAP! It sounds as if he is ready, he has admitted his addiction and a little encouragement to seek professional help may just save his life! By all mean trust what he said and if needed go to Al-anon meetings but DO NOT try to save him!! YOU (please read this and take it as the gospel) did not create his problem nor can you cure it but it can kill you! Find a nice man without these issues and pray for your ex!!
Redlion

Posted: March 28, 2016, 11:32 AM
I once thought that I could drink Alcohol and not use cocaine. But I was totally wrong. As of 04/15/16, I will be one year clean. I give all Honor,Glory and Praise to my Higher Power,whom I am truly grateful. I realize that I can not occasionally take a drink of Alcohol.
Johnny Cash

Posted: September 24, 2016, 2:17 AM
This is what gets me everytime. "you can not be fully healed with an attitude of indifference towards a higher power" even if I lied to myself and to NA and faked an attitude of spirituality, that does not mean that I truly deep down believe that there is an after-life... So basically NA and AA are telling me to keep using drugs because it will never workout for me. OR even worse, to lie to myself and pretend to believe in something that I just can't wrap my head around as being true. Why can't I want to be sober to have a better life ON THIS PLANET? to have better HUMAN relationships with my family and friends. That's why I want to be sober. And basically NA and AA are telling me I can't have that without first lying to myself about my own beliefs.
blissfuls

Posted: January 20, 2017, 5:53 AM
I'll have to say that it can be done.
My husband was a former addict and had to leave an extremely lucrative job (Atlanta) and move to an extremely tiny town of pop. less than 1000 in order to avoid living where coke was easily obtained and you had to drive 30 miles just to buy beer.
He stayed there for a little over a year and then moved to my town. Unfortunately, I managed a bar and he befriended one guy who led him right back to his old ways.
I finally gave him the option...quit for good or I'm out of here and don't need this kaka.
Well, he quit the coke but still drinks like a fish, but at least he hasn't touched coke in over 20 years (knock wood!). He's been at his company for many years, doesn't take off because he's hungover (he saves that for when he has the next day off...LOL).
So yeah, I guess you can do one without the other if you're strongly motivated. I guess it's a "pick your poison" kind-of thing. Much luck and trust yourself.
D

Posted: February 7, 2017, 4:41 PM
Thank you all for your input.. this thread has helped me tremendously!

I have been having the same question and deep down I knew the answer. I used coke during weekends for 15 yrs. and then it consumed me. I've confronted my underlying issues, had a spiritual awakening, exercise and cook fresh foods. I have started the recovery process by committing to further personal growth by going to meetings and further educating myself on questions that I may have.

I stopped using coke 6 months ago and just 3 months ago I had 3 beers during a b-day party. I almost started using again and that scared me. I know now that my addiction still lurks within me. As stated previously, someone could drink occasionally, but eventually it will lead you back to using; it's just not worth it.

I brought this question up at a meeting the other day, because in the back of my head I wanted to think that I could reclaim normal drinking behavior. This is just not an option, and this forum has helped me. I was thinking that after 2, 5, or 10 years of sobriety that my mind would have been rewired to a point where I could function normally again.

During the last 5 yrs of my life I've been testing myself and seeking out therapy in many forms.

I experienced a high bottom and knew this was no way to live. I'm finding out now early in my recovery that the sober lifestyle is so more rewarding and enables you to live much more. I feel that I have missed out on so much that life has to offer, but I realize that I'm truly blessed that I'm starting to figure it out.

I wrote this post not only to concrete my thoughts, but also reflect back on my experiences to help others.

Love, D

Thank you all for your input.. this thread has helped me tremendously!
post replypost new topic