< prev  next >  post replypost new topic
Methadone Taper
Overfifty

Posted: December 18, 2016, 11:53 AM
Today is day 26 of no methadone. Reading others posts helps me. Today I read Jason's posts very heartfelt. I feel I dodged a bullet experiencing no withdrawals. I am grateful every day for this. I worked hard at my taper and for me it has worked. Taking it one day at a time. Happy holidays
Overfifty

Posted: December 19, 2016, 10:18 AM
Day 27 off of methadone. Having my coffee watching the morning news. Just normal stuff except I don't take METHADONE. It really does something to my mindset. I won't suffer withdrawals ever again hooray. Now I am not putting the horse before the cart just saying today no withdrawals. We had a serious ice storm the lasted five days what if I couldn't get my medicine. Well now I don't have to worry. And I did worry about things like that all the time. One day at a time........Happy holidays . Oh yeah we are a non drinking household so Christmas will be awesome no drunks lol.. Holidays are hard for me and I assume for other people as well. I get super depressed and have a hard time around a lot of people. This year we are doing it differently. I will be with my daughter's family and I am comfortable with this arrangement. So this year I am looking forward to it. I was on a low dose of methadone (30ml.) For pain. But I use to be on it for heroin addiction (80ml.). I felt the same on both doses however I went through horrible withdrawals trying to get off the 80 ml. Too rapidly. So I am in the honeymoon faze of my addiction. Got my rose colored glasses on and everything is going smoothly. Posting and reading posts by other people on this journey helps me a lot. So thank you for being there for me. Ho :O ho!!

Posted: December 20, 2016, 8:13 AM
Morning Over50 :) glad you are doing ok but wanted to ask you how do you managing your pain without meths?
Overfifty

Posted: December 20, 2016, 9:05 AM
Today is day 28 off of methadone. Slept well no cravings but yes I am in pain still. I have to admit the pain wears on me but I take Tylenol and I smoke weed. In our state it's legal both medical and recreational. It helps take the edge off but I still move very slowly and am limited in stamina. Diet and exercise to improve health is something I am focusing on. Thinking of doing the paleo diet. Anyway getting back to my pain it's there and I can't do a lot of things. It's been that way for years. My family helps me with rides, shopping, and I stay with them weekly for company. Because I got prescribed methadone for pain and my doctor retired its made me really okay in the head. I mean it's like kicking in jail ya know your not getting anything to help you. With my doctor retiring I know I am not getting anything to help my pain. My new doctor is into diet,exercise, physical therapy, even suggested acupuncture. (I have tried before with zero results). So this is a different mindset for me which I am embracing. They come up with so much new information nowadays I want to explore different ways to deal with pain. Staying positive is important to my mental health.I am rambling sorry. Taking it one day at a time.....peace

Posted: December 20, 2016, 8:03 PM
i first went on methadone around xmas time 1995. I've read other posts and people saying the reduced down to 2ml (im in Glasgow, Scotland). I decided to GET off it in 2004 yes and did, it was easier than i expected AT THE END. i did try reducing quite a few times over those years but was hard when they keep, (sorry THEY being the cat team comunity addiction team) changing the COUNCILOR, ESPECIALLY wen you start reducing, you find your seeing a diffrent prson evry time you go to your appointment. And wen that happens, NO communication hence no reduction on the script, and i would have to wait till later that week wen the doctors in. anyway when i realised i was on my own with this, and also being told, you are allowed to relapse TWICE a year, that was thier advice wen i would tell them i felt bad withdrawls, it was when my partner god rest her was diagnosed with throat cancer in 2006 i REALLY DECIDED to fight my way of it because it was a fight i had to go in to see the CAT TEAM with a more determined attitude and i did i was fed up, i now really believe they do everything to stop you comming off it, ive found this exact same attitude not only with one district cat team but 3 in glasgow, after having to TELL them how i want to do it the way MY body knows, i finally got to zero in 2013. a year later just after xmas my partner passed away she was 44 yrs young, same age as me. she didnt know i was reducing, didnt want her worrying about the horror storys we had heard about people hallucinating, glad to say i didnt experience that, i came down town to 50ml daily from 75 daily then came down 5ml every month, well when they remembered to take the 5ml of and believe me it happened time and time again, finally wen i was at 15ml i said i now want it to reduce 1ml weekly that to me was easier than having 5ml took from 15ml so i would have had 15 weeks left anyway the cats doctor and the COUNCILLOR couldnt work out how to write that on a monthly script and told me i would have to go weekly for my script,lol. Ok see ye next week, surprise surprise it was left at the desk with the receptionist just sitting thier for anyone who was in for whatever because it was an office for a number of diffrent agencys, and it wasnt reduced the 1ml the obviouse reason it was left at the desk, the receptionist said MY councilor wasnt in i had to laugh as i didnt have a councilor in my eyes, the last time i seen the same person twice in a row i was at 45ml, ive been clean since and have a wonderful grandson he was 1 yr old last week. it just kills me when i remember the times i could have been spending with my wife but was stuck arguing and sitting in waitng rooms for up to 2hrs no exageration. GOD REST YOU SWEETHEART. DAVE.

This post has been edited by DAVE. on December 20, 2016, 8:12 PM
Jason

Posted: December 21, 2016, 9:58 AM
Good work! You are so blessed to have handled the taper and getting off so well. It was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life personally. Keep a good support group because cravings will come if you have addiction issues. It seems like they won't and then out of the blue, wam, it they will strike. Or by some fluke drugs will be in front of you through an old friend or something. Take care and Merry Christmas Dave. Sorry for the advice, which wasn't asked for:). I'm working on change and they may be one of them...

Posted: December 21, 2016, 8:12 PM
Today is day 29 off of methadone. Yes I am very grateful that my taper and detox was so successful. I feel so lucky to have dodged this bullet. Thank you for sharing your story it means the world to me to hear other successful stories. Have a headache today didn't sleep well but it will pass. Looking forward to the holidays. I hope everyone is having an amazing day. Happy holidays.....peace

Posted: December 22, 2016, 9:32 AM
Today I have been off methadone for 30 days. One month!! Feeling good still move slow but doing well over all. No cravings. Merry Christmas

Posted: December 22, 2016, 6:29 PM
already 1 month? wow time does fly ... happy for you :)

Posted: December 22, 2016, 7:43 PM
Thank you Bonnie5. Have a merry Christmas.

Posted: December 23, 2016, 4:14 PM
and you :) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Posted: December 26, 2016, 9:36 AM
Today is 34 days without methadone. Feel no withdrawls no cravings. Had a nice Christmas ...very relaxing. Very grateful to be free from this.
Overfifty

Posted: December 29, 2016, 11:33 AM
Today is day 36 off of methadone. I caught a cold so I am feeling lousy today. But even this doesn't dampen my spirits. The whole time I was on methadone I never got sick. (Or I never felt it) so this is new. I haven't had a change in mental health since withdrawing from methadone this time. Which is wonderful. Doing normal things like shopping and cleaning house still hard because of pain. But I am doing it. All methadone free and if my doctor hadn't retired I would never of gotten off it. Because I was scared to withdrawal. Always scared to feel that pain. But this taper I didn't feel withdrawals at all. So I am taking this and running with it. I tapered for years. I prepared myself for the worst hoped for the best. It can happen no withdrawals no problems. I am so grateful to be able to share my story. To give hope to people. Don't be scared. I used clonidine nausea medication klonapin xanax and weed to withdrawal. My goal was to get off methadone. That's it. I am serious when I say all friends dead from heroin and accidents. I haven't been around drugs for years and years. So this transition has been effortless. Methadone saved my life and I am grateful for it.. But I have moved on from that heroin user years ago that I was. Anyway just rambling on this morning sorry. Just super happy it's over.

Posted: December 30, 2016, 11:10 AM
Day 37 free of methadone. Feel a bit better today from my cold. Anyway have a happy new year. Taking it one day at a time....peace

Posted: December 30, 2016, 12:27 PM
sorry you got cold ,hope you feel better soon! Happy New Year :)
Overfifty

Posted: January 2, 2017, 9:10 AM
Well today is day 40 off of methadone. No symptoms except sneezing. Thank you Bonnie5 my cold is better. I am doing well. No complaints. Taking it one day at a time.

Posted: January 2, 2017, 1:30 PM
Congrats on 40 days and thank you for posting - sharing!
What other meds are you still taking. weed and something else? or did you taper off the other meds too?
Overfifty

Posted: January 2, 2017, 2:16 PM
Thank you NYtoflorida. I don't take the clonidine, nausea medication or klonapin anymore. My psychiatrist prescribes an antidepressant and mood stabilizer for my mental health. Which I believe has helped me tremendously. I had my psychiatrist years before my taper began. I am happy my story is getting shared it helps me to share.

Posted: January 8, 2017, 9:15 AM
I am off of methadone still. Hate counting days. I am feeling well. No cravings. We have a ice storm with snow and I don't have to worry about getting my methadone. It's so cool not to have this to deal with. My cold is better. The dang thing held on for a bit. I haven't sneezed for a day. Anyway not much to say. Taking it one day at a time.....peace
Overfifty

Posted: January 14, 2017, 10:27 AM
Still methadone free. I have no cravings no problems. Going slow on my taper really worked. The brain takes awhile to heal from methadone. I think my taper was done at a good rate because I didn't have withdrawals.I am so grateful to have this behind me. Everyone is different but I always thought my withdrawal would be a lot more painful.I was really scared. But it never happened I just quit and that was that no big ordeal. I hope this helps someone not to be scared to jump. I would come on this site and read and read looking for success stories on withdrawing from methadone. Taking it one day at a time......peace
post replypost new topic