< prev  next >  post replypost new topic
I Quit 40mg Liquid Methadone Cold Turkey..my Choic

Posted: September 22, 2016, 10:45 PM
It's half of your last dose every 18-36 hours.
addict 5.0

Posted: October 10, 2016, 7:05 PM
10 days cold turkey from 36 mg...got to that point in rapid tapering @ 2mg every week for last 4 months.

bad idea with the rapid coming down...felt OK for 2 months and then couldn't function for the following 2...not withdrawal sick but major concentration issues,breathing difficulties/skipping breaths kinda like sleep apnea/ and eating even more.

days 1-5 manageable,6-9 pure hell and sudden break in withdrawal symptoms on day #10.

during 10 days pills taken per day...about 1 1/2 perx,2-3 mg lorazepam,800 mg advil,325 mg asprin and around 440/660 aleve...benzos big help but prex make the whole withdrawal worst in my opinion,other otc painkillers only placebo effect.

water,meal replacement drinks and 4 McDonald wraps during 10 days.

i feel OK now which make me suspicious that the worst is yet to come.

going all the way no matter what.

1 1/2 om methadone with 120 being highest...total mistake,10 days cold turkey from heroine,oxycodone and hydro morph would put me in home free situation but with methadone i don't where i'm at.

it is a rat poison that should be banned,catastrophic weight gain and breathing difficulties are being hidden from the patients...doctors allowed to prescribed that and not telling the truth which they see and hear everyday are criminals without conscience.

methadone should be consider only in two scenarios: if you will harm yourself due to unbearable withdrawal or that you will commit crime and/or harm other human being in order to get your dope....if you can control these to situation please walk away from methadone maintenance programs.

some people are stuck on that rat poison for years largely to the fear of the withdrawal which of course is pure hell that no human should go through but it is the only way out of it.

tapering for years with no end in sight and living in the prison of urine tests and limited amount of carries allowed is inhumane.

my day 10 is here and i'm not giving that away for nothing!!!!

if i made through to the following Monday i may win.

AND YOU CAN 2 !!!

Thank you.

Posted: October 10, 2016, 10:46 PM
Good post..keep going and keep updating. f*** the McDonalds though eat something good..nah I did same thing!! keep staying strong..
Miss McD

Posted: October 22, 2016, 2:18 PM
When you feel great after dropping rapidly on your dose or quoting cold turkey its your state of mind....you wanted to do it 100% and that's the bottom line. Believe in yourself and know that it isn't impossible. I dropped my dose from 80 to 42 and never felt better. Amazing I only needed half my dose but they had me on twice what I needed. Don't quit until you are hungry for a life without the chains :) xo
addict 5.0

Posted: October 23, 2016, 6:32 PM
Thanks,marykat80 for good words...much appreciated.

Day #23 today.

It went all downhill pretty quickly since my last post...which unfortunately I've anticipated.

Total cluster f*** psychologically and major joint pain situation/mostly knees... unbearable/.

Around 4 Percocets a day/strongly suggest to avoid but either that or back on Methadone,due to pain,psychologically I can handle the mother of all nightmares/.

Also 3/4 1 mg Ativan when needed,some Aleve and Advil also taken.

No energy whatsoever,no will or desire to do anything.

Some pleasure from watching internet but fades pretty quick as soon as Percocet reaches half of the half life period...other than that unable to concentrate for couple minutes.

Writing down this post was a monumental challenge.

However...point of no return no matter what.

Thank you.

Posted: October 24, 2016, 6:16 PM
Yeah the psychological and concentation were horrible for me..at day 23 I would have definitely struggled posting and writing that long. Yeah ideally cutting off the Percocet would be best..but you know. Concentration will come back..but yeah beyond frustrating. I remember trying to pay electric bill and I'll just say it was a huge struggle..that took way longer then should have. Honestly I started taking 5-htp a couple weeks out..didn't help with energy but did with concentration and just feeling calmer..I was taking ativan as well but not daily as I didn't wanna get dependent on that..try to eat healthy and or drink fruit smoothies..your body needs all the replenishing...and hopefully get your energy back..
Nando

Posted: February 1, 2017, 11:10 AM
I was on 80 mg of methadone for almost 6 years. And because of $$ I started going down on my dose. Have taken 20 mg a day for the last week, today all I had was 10mg. I'm so afraid of what is about to happen, but know it has to happen. Any suggestions on withdrawal remedies or any advice?

Posted: February 1, 2017, 11:26 AM
Nando it an be done so you dont feel any withdrawal symptoms ..read Overfifty posts how she done it and other posts, plenty of good information here for you just need to scroll up and down and read! I am on 35 mills going down when i want and when i feel its right for me so i personally cant advise you on remedies but i am here to support you if you stick around
Good luck :)
Gary

Posted: February 24, 2017, 8:28 AM
All those who are saying that they jumped off at 40 mg with no withdrawal symptoms were not physically dependent on methadone or they're lying, simply put anybody who has been on methadone for a while will suffer numerous withdrawal symptoms and for about a month before they start getting back to normal, in fact the insomnia may last for a couple of months along with the depression. The only way to get off methadone once physically addicted is a very slow taper down to 1 mg and even then you will still feel horrible once you stop completely. Please don't believe anyone who says that they stopped cold at high doses without suffering as they are lying to you or as stated not actually dependent. Good luck to all who are on methadone it's a long, hard road back and your recovery will need a lot of hard work and a lot of time. Be strong and you will eventually free yourself from this drug.

Posted: February 24, 2017, 11:53 PM
I can only speak for myself but I tapered down to one for two days before that 2.5 for months and when I quit I suffered no withdrawls. I moved slow and had sneezing attacks though. I had meds for tapering as well as anti depressant and mood stabilizer. I also smoke marijuana. I believe all these things helped me transition to no methadone. I tapered long and slow. I also slept and had no depression or paws from day one. I am 94 days methadone free and feel normal just like first day. I am a take the band aid off slowly type. My taper was successful for me. Everyone is different but going CT is brutal IMO. When I jumped off at 30 ml. I went crazy. No sleep mentally a wreck depression through the roof. This lasted for over thirty days without getting better. I went back on methadone and tapered slowly over years to get to today. For me going long and slow worked this time and I am so grateful.

Posted: February 24, 2017, 11:57 PM
I forgot to say I move slow because of pain. I still move slow and probably always will.
MostAncientLight

Posted: June 23, 2017, 11:23 PM
So I found this post because I went cold turkey off 45 mg daily of the mdone about a week ago (last dose sunday Am). It's now Friday and I feel fine... some mild withdrawl days 2 and 3 but better and better since. I'm pretty tripped out. Keep expecting it to kick in. Have suboxone but didn't want to take it before I hit the real WD's... And they just haven't shown up yet. Not sleeping much but whatever. some chills and no energy days 2/3 getting better on the 4th and 5th... I'm in total disbelief. Was expecting this to be bad...

Posted: July 6, 2017, 12:09 AM
ur story gives me hope....cold turkey 64mg last tuesday and i cant sleep, crying over everything.......just know ur story telling itit helped someone.....
Ashley

Posted: August 14, 2017, 10:35 PM
I know it's an old post, but I need some advice. I've been on 380mg (and yes that's right) for almost 4 years. I take 190mg 2 times a day. There is an issue with the way my body metabolizes the methadone and that's why I'm on such a high dose. I'm still in pain every morning untill I take my dose. I haven't used in 3 years. I want to come off it cold turkey but I'm really scared. I can't find anything on the internet about someone quitting on such a high dose. I just want to be done with this stuff. I feel like if I don't get off this soon it's going to kill me.
Billy

Posted: August 16, 2017, 10:06 AM
Day 10 off of 90mg of methadone for pain. my doctor and i had always gotten along... I never once pulled any addictive behavior... In hindsight i should have seen... In Pa opiates are killing daily.... He sent me for blood work which is very odd. usually a lil pee is all he asks for... The ONLY other drugs I take is weed and i do not ABUSE. Sorry, but I hit my head some time back and somehow I just stopped abusing my mind and body.... So I am held together from my lower left leg to my scalp with rods, pins, plates, and plastics...
10th day and the s***s just started.. My wife is at work and I cant wipe my a** properly... This has always been my "I'm outta here mantra". And now I don't even have the pills to do it..... So my doc pulls out my blood test and says there are no drugs in my system...Bull s***. There has been drugs in my system since 1983!!!!!
I am LOST and I do not see me making it..... I do not want to make it.... I kicked about 14 years ago knowing I'd have to return to opiate pain meds... IDK>>> I have a good life, a good marriage, great kids...... I just don't deserve what lies ahead.... Peace, YOU DO!
C'Zer

Posted: March 24, 2018, 2:20 PM
220 lb 6'2" male. Been on methadone for years. I was doing 140mg/day plus about 5 bags of really good H, sometimes fentanyl/day. One day I got thrown in jail. 30 days of living Hell. Only meds I was given were to keep me from puking and defecating on myself and in my cell. I was paroled on realease immediately to a 28 day rehab after jail and was only provided with benadryl and melatonin there. I slept about 10 hours in 30 days in jail. Not much more in rehab. I got out last week and I'm only sleeping 3-4 hours of broken sleep a night now. My arms and legs were jumping around like an epileptic marionette, I was freezing, cramping and writhing for weeks. No relief. Two months later and my legs and arms/hands still hurt and my woman tells me that they're jumping when I sleep, although I can't sleep much, and I still have an odd taste in my mouth plus I'm still sneezing repetetively at very little provocation. The past two months have been Hell, truly Hell. I would have to really really hate someone to wish what I've just been through on them. So, two months later and I hardly feel like flaying the flesh off my bones any more although they still ache and are driving me crazy because I have no energy to exercise them to get any relief because I'm immediately exhausted. If you have to quit cold turkey I wish you the best of luck. It's not fun lol. Wean off slow if you can, for the love of God or whatever you care about (or cares about you), wean off slow. There is a term "Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome". Well, I've been in constant WD for 2 months, so I don't know what they mean by "post" because some of the withdrawal symptons for me have never stopped, not yet. I couldn't (or wouldn't) have made it CT if I hadn't had to do it against my will. Good luck people, good luck.
Heddy

Posted: March 25, 2018, 11:20 AM
Hi I'm coming off methadone I started 3 years ago I went to 60 mls I'm down to 41 today it seems I feel withdraw at 6 days and that's coming down 1 ml every 4 weeks.The ? I'm getting at is am I waiting to long between or should I maybe come down quicker? The weigh gain is awful I can't stop crying.Plz any suggests would be great thanks.Heddy

Posted: March 25, 2018, 3:07 PM
I don't think you are waiting too long. That sounds about right. I jumped off fast..but too fast and wouldn't recommend. I think giving your body as much time as needed to the lowered dose..then once you start feeling better, lower again. Which sucks, I know..I tried that route too. And once you start to feel better, it's going down again Which takes a lot of will power. But best for your mind to go slow. Just remember the crying and extreme emotions are expected, but will pass...
Joe

Posted: May 27, 2018, 8:01 AM
I am down to 15mg per day. Been on methadone for years. I started out with a bad heroin habit and meth, needles. I was hopeless. I started robbing drug dealers in my area with a gun just so I could go to bed at night with drugs in my pocket. Waking up with nothing was my ultimate fear.
Needless to say, the dealers all got together and called the cops on me. In 2013 my house was raided by SWAT TEAM and Guns/Gang task force.
I was given 4 years in penitentiary for the gun. I was introduced to the prison doctor a short while later. (I spent 2 weeks in segregation for my withdrawal symptoms upon entering prison, so I had to quit cold Turkey)
The penitentiary doctor knew I was at a great risk to relapse while in prison, so he put me on the methadone program. I was released a few years later.
We are now in 2018, still clean and sober. I live with my fiance and 2 kids. I have a parrot and dog. I am in my first year apprenticeship for millwright.
It's time to quit the methadone program. I tapered 10mg every week for the last 6 weeks. From 80 to 20 mg. I'm now at 15mg and I'm done. I am not going back folks. I dont feel bad. It's all mind over matter. Dont quit methadone unless you're under 35mg is my advice. I tried to quit at 40 and regretted that decision.
METHADONE SAVED MY LIFE. Dont use it as a crutch, just a tool to get you to a stable,happy place. I would have died of overdose, like dozens of my friends. I'm doing good. I was a career criminal and a gangster. I had a thousand dollar a day habit for a long time. I burned through more money than I will ever see again.
Working hard now is my motto. I could have been so far in life if i had of buckled down, went to college and worked at 18 or 20. Instead, i wasted half of my younger years and am now in my 30s and just starting life.
It's never too late. You are never too far gone. If you think your life is bad, it could always be worse. Rock bottom is death, you wont ever see an upswing of you keep down your road of addiction. Go to a clinic, get on the methadone program and get your life back. Stay on methadone no longer than 2 years. That should be your window of opportunity to get back on track.
Take care, god bless and be safe out there folks.
Joe
Canada
John Paul

Posted: May 27, 2018, 5:12 PM
@Joe I have tapered down slowly over the last year and a half. I am down from 90mlg to 8 mlgs. As soon as I was under 10 mlgs $hit got real. I thought I could do the old mind over matter also. After about a week at 10 mlgs it was not me calling the shots. My dose was and still is only lasting about 3 to 4 hours and the rest of the day and night I am white knuckling it. I truly hope that this will not be your experience! All the best to you and I hope that we both can get off of this and regain our lives. JP✌
post replypost new topic