Severe Otrivin Addiction
Luna
Posted: June 24, 2018, 4:55 PM

I am 16 years old I’ve been using otrivin for 6 months now and tried stopping it for 2 days but my nose wouldn’t unblock then I realized that I might not be able to breathe again and I am freaking out I don’t know what to do and how to tell my mom about my addiction...
_AZ_
Posted: July 21, 2018, 3:18 PM

CAN RELATE. COMPLETE OTRIVIN ADDICT. STILL HAVEN'T STOPPED
Sushil
Posted: May 28, 2019, 1:11 AM

The easiest way out of Otrivin addiction or dependence is steroid nasal spray. In India I was prescribed Duonase and later the slight more powerful Furamist. The first one is required to ne taken two puffs in each nostril twice daily. The second one is two puffs in each nostril once daily (preferably at bed time. Instructions are contained on the paper inside the pack containing the spray bottle.
The steroid is topical application and reaches only the nasal lining. It does not enter the blood stream. And even if small part of it does enter the blood stream, first the quantity is very small, and second the steroid is quite mild. So the steroid does not make any significant impact or side effects on the overall health as compared to the overall advantage of getting rid of the addiction.
I may also tell you that for people who get nasal polyps removed surgically, these steroid nasal sprays are often prescribed lifelong. Thus they are devoid of any problems.
  top of page  Top