next >  post replypost new topic
Coming Off Methadone
suspicion

Posted: July 27, 2014, 11:29 AM
hey everyone

Im not a doctor but an experienced user which qualifies me to HELP anyone and i mean day or night. Im 26 and have been on methadone for 2-3 i tried to stop at 30ml cold and it was the worse thing ever - requiring a trip to hospital. Eventually got back on 20ml upto 50ml now im at 13ml tapering down 5ml monthly which was most comfortable a little withdrawal like chills sickness but thats expected. PLEASEEEEE. reduce properly follow the programme. Ive kept each bottle at reduction as a reminder of how well i done. Mind you, i was I WANT OFF NOW IMMEDIATLY you know how it goes but looking back it is far better safer COMFORTABLE to reduce. Now i feel withdrawal when this happens i take a bath keeep warm will help massively and keep telling myself yhat this is psychological withdrawal - You really really want to get off it youll fight psychologically with ease. But ya gota want off it soooo bad that a chill here and thr is nothing.
I have been most honest with my prescriber and i have been reaseaching medications for withdrawal. Once Im down to last 2ml. Im locking myself away with my medications exercise and a detox plan that even a dextox will be proud of. Im using 10mg diazapam immodium and pepto for s***s and sickness.

If anyone is in my shoes and would love support or advice etc my email suspectdj@live.co.uk

There is no shame at all being a meth user... i think they are just money spinners for pharma. They could easy hook an i.v drip to flush system.

Wishing you all well and safe detoxing!!!

Posted: July 27, 2014, 9:20 PM
Suspicion,
The thing I agree with you about is to taper/detox SLOWLY and then treat uncomfortable symptoms with your doctor or clinics help and by whatever means helps such as warm baths, teas, etc.

Methadone has been proven over and over again to help opiate addicts stop their addiction. If clinic rules are followed your opiate addiction can be stopped and you can live a normal life.

If one chooses not to use methadone to achieve freedom from opiates that is a personal choice but I for one know it works.

granny

This post has been edited by Granny2 3 on July 27, 2014, 9:21 PM

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]
suspection

Posted: July 30, 2014, 9:53 AM
Ive jumped ship and now decided to home detox. Im taking diazepam pharmcy ones but off street 28 should be enough. If not ive access to other meds if needed. Im sneezing swetting chills like a pins nd needles sensation. Done 3 days how long left. No energy at all im proud of myself for getting 3 days. Thinking myself i have bad flu rather than meth making it so much easier to tell myself i can get off this s***. Only been on meth 2 year this should be a walk in the park??

Posted: July 30, 2014, 10:03 AM
Day by day it will get a little better. Hang in there. This too shall pass.
WBequette

Posted: July 31, 2014, 4:07 PM
I'm on Day 5 of being off of methadone. I was lowered from 110mg to 10mg, 4mg a day.

It sucks, not as bad as heroin withdraw, I think because I don't crave methadone
like I crave heroin.

One thing I don't like is how long it lasts, i'm through with the worst part
but it is hard to sleep and my body aches. Diahrea is going away, the cold
sweats are going away but today is body ache day apparently.

Going on a float trip on saturday, hoping the sun and fresh air and exercise
helps get this crap out of my system.

Posted: August 1, 2014, 7:04 PM
WBequette,

wow congrats! It doesn't seem like you are doing too bad, just be patient.

As far as your trip, make sure to eat well, stay hydrated, maybe take Tylenol for any minor discomforts and you should be good. Fresh air and sunshine does the body and soul good, and if this is what you want,(to be off methadone) then you are headed in the right direction. Being out in nature is also a good way to keep your mind occupied.

Good luck and let us know how you did and how you ar4e doing. It seems that not many people come here with good stories of being off methadone and we could sure use some.

granny

--------------------

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]

Posted: August 6, 2014, 1:40 PM
.There is no shame at all being a meth user...

Please ,lets call it methadone- - not meth......people get confused,,and these 2 couldn't be more different- - thanks

--------------------
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
— Hunter S. Thompson[COLOR=blue]

Posted: August 17, 2014, 11:53 AM
Hi dude

I suppose your right there. I never tried meth but I do get the fact they are two entirley different substances.

Methadone it is then :-)

Take caree
Suspect

--------------------
GOD SAVE BASS GENERATOR records.
Peezey

Posted: August 17, 2014, 3:48 PM
Hi all. First would like to say thank you all for sharing your stories and experiences.
So here goes.....here is methadone treatment story.

Once upon a time, 6 years ago to be exact, a lost lonely and abused woman saught help to break free from the chains of Heroin addiction. I remember my first day at my treatment center like it was yesterday. Sick, sad, depressed, and just overall lost. I had lost myself in my addiction. All I knew is I wanted out and was hoping I had finally found refuge.
I started my program, at first just to tame the withdrawal I was experiencing from the extremely dangerously large amount of heroin I had been using for several years. I went into treatment thinking I will kill my DTs with Methadone then detox and be do e witching a month or two.
Boy oh boy was I wrong. As I came to a stable dose, I began to attend groups, I began to realize that the lifestyle I had been living was just igniting all the internal struggles and past trauma I had experienced in my life. As time went on, I became a leader in our weekly women's groups. Then two years into treatment I became pregnant. I was so frightened at first of what horrible side effects and or birth defects could have on my child. I was in the process of detoxing and taking the advice of my OBGYN I stopped detox and kept at the level I was comfortable with. My son was born...healthy beautiful yet he did require a detox of his own but the levels in him were so low the doctors only needed to give him the lowest posssible dose of medication and for only 3 days. Today my son is 4, he is amazing beautiful, an has several amazing talents such as being amedextrious(not sure if spelled correctly) an is a strapping young lad bigger than most boys his age. So......now after 6 years of methadone maintenance I am detoxing...I have so many feelings to express. Gratitude for those who support me without judgement, happiness to be leading an amazing journey through life, and excitement for a future in helping others cope who are or have been going through similar addictions and recovery. Some may 6 years on Methadone is a long time, but I am a success. I own and run a business, raise my children and have become a large part in my community through helping others. It took me some time to become equipped with the necessary tools to deal with trauma, grief, depression, and addiction but you know what, I am the best person I have ever been in my entire life and now it is time for me to share my story and help others. Recovery is life long, and with great support we can all relish in its beauty!
This is a shortened version of my story and experiences and would also like to say to those going thru addiction and detox....take YOUR time, not anyone else's. Recovery is a process and the time frame is different for all. Don't rush, make your decisions wisely and with great support. If we stumble we shall stand again and walk past the pit into which we once fell into.
Peace to you brothers and sisters of recovery.

Posted: August 17, 2014, 4:30 PM
Thank you for your story.

The main thing is that you've come out of this a wiser person. Its great to hear successful stories. It will help people who are dealing with addiction. Im three weeks clean today. Couldn't be happier.
Well done for achieving your desired goals. Taking each day as it comes.

Take care
Suspect

--------------------

Posted: August 17, 2014, 5:20 PM
Well hello Peezey,
What an amazing story!!! Thank you so much for sharing it.

We need more positive experiences about methadone because hopefully one day the stigma it has will be gone and only the truth will be told.

As with any medication available for people to consume some do have an adverse reaction to methadone. While most don't, the lies and misconceptions they spread, I believe, come from their failures at treatment. They falsely believe that if they just come in every day and take their dose that their addiction and all that all the bad things that came with it will just magically just disappear with no work on their part. They couldn't be more wrong.

It takes time to fix the havoc drug addition creates. Loss of self, home, family, children. The list can be endless. It certainly didn't happen overnight, it took months if not years to get where we are the first time we stepped into a methadone clinic looking for help because we were out of options. We were lost and hopeless. For some it was life or death.

I chose life and I have never looked back and it's been a long time since I made the decision that I wanted my life back. It was a little harder in the beginning, it always is but you have choices. It is up to you to make the right ones. You sound like you made the right choices and look where you are!!! Good for you!!!

keep coming back your story is important!!

granny

--------------------

Peezey

Posted: August 17, 2014, 6:23 PM
Thank you for the kind words!

I am passionate about sharing my story to help those who have a stigma toward methadone see that the person is the one in control of the recovery. I could have been on any opioid angonist and had several different outcomes. My story is one of a thousand. Over my years at my treatment center I saw people come in and leave, die, and go to prison and lose everything. The one issue was they either had not had that moment when they decided to get clean for them or they just though it was a magic medication that will cure all your issues. My passion now is to tech those who are ready yet have no direction.
If anyone struggles with the decision to enter into treatment or feels they don't have support I hope they can find something in the words on these posts and reach out.
Thank again for hearing(reading ) my thoughts.

Posted: August 18, 2014, 6:49 AM
Hi Peezey! Thank you so much for sharing your story! I too have come of methadone successfully. It's a good feeling. Keep coming back. (((HUGS)))

Jessica

Posted: August 18, 2014, 9:40 AM
Hey all

Peezey thank you for that little reminder that addiction keeps us trapped under the past. This has helped me massively. My quest for methadone abstience continues not forgetting the good old brown. Devil drug.

For those who relapse should not feel ashasmed but keep checkin in - its all part of recovery!! This is my first experience of a way of finding support during the latter days of withdrawal, ive took on board what applied to me in my case. It was a snap decision to personally withdraw at a lowered doseage of 13ml.

Again its uncomfortable symptoms but perserverance, patience and willpower will see you through detox. Exercise and a protien packed diet lots of veg fruit water for hydration. Suppliements such as milk thisle for liver detoxification. FOR BEST RESULTS: PLAN YOUR WITHDRAWAL!
Personally I used diazepam 10mg x2 for first week. PLEASE SEEK YOUR OWN MEDICAL ADVICE.

For me diazepam allowed my brain to shut off, took away the anxiety to use away (specially for the first week. This was not through my doctor, but sheer willpower not to be addicted to methadone. Doctors are funny in uk about prescribing this medication but for me it has worked got me off methadone.

Keep up posting on your progress. I'm going to also as it has done me good
Bestest wishes all

Suspect
#officallysickofsneezingfitsandchills.
#It will pass

--------------------

Posted: August 18, 2014, 6:48 PM
I did my detox slowly, went all the way down to 2mgs and then detoxed. I was a bit more prepared because the last month or so at lower doses my body was coming into a state of detox gradually.

I'm a naturalist so the only "meds" I have used are Essential oils such as Lavendar for anxiety, clove, geranium and Frankensense for "cravings" I don't consider them typical cravings more of elevated blood pressure and fatigue. I also use a blend for the dhiarehtic part. They work wonders!! Oh ya and peppermint and lemongrass for muscle pain! I am so thankful for an "easy" detox an grateful to be able to share my experience!! Thanks for the support and I give love and support for everyone going thru the same life experiences!!!

Posted: August 19, 2014, 4:13 AM
Hi

Peezey thank you for your comments.

Its great to hear that natural ways of detox has worked for you. I can't help but think, were you listening to the Shamen - Ebeneezer goode while opening a bottle of lavender. Haha, you will understand play the track. I'll give those a whirl anything to feel more relaxed. Then I remembered I don't like the smell of lavender!!

is anything else that could be used instead of lavender.
Thank you for your post!

Happy posting, all
Suspect

--------------------

Posted: August 19, 2014, 5:24 AM
Hi lilly

I'm ages away from three year abstience!! Do you avoid high-risk situations that makes us fall foul of the relapse. Have you heard the saying, relapse is part of recovery? I see that as counter-productive. Its kind of saying, it's ok go on RELAPSE. I think willpower and a dose of reality help keep addiction at bay. I used to tell myself that it was part and parcel of the process, maybe so? Yes an excellent barging tool trying to quit drugs - Not!

The relapse prevention search onsite has affirmed very much what of what I didn't know about. Ive been taking plenty notes and I'd say it has kept the complusiveness to relapse (excuse to use) away."Is it better to think years ahead abstience or 'count up' ticking each day"?

I'm only 23 days off. Did you have any smyptoms by this stage?
Stay strong you can do it! Thanks for your posts! Ive posted this in wrong post??

Suspect

This post has been edited by suspectdj on August 19, 2014, 5:26 AM

--------------------

Posted: August 19, 2014, 11:25 PM
So, how tis every1? What ya'll hollerin about?

Yo, I do not need methadone. I'm on 118mg.

What is best for withdrawal? I'm doing it cold turkey. I'm also new to methadone with 118mg starting dose.

Yall know what to do?
Ed....

Posted: August 20, 2014, 2:05 AM
Ed, your withdraw on 118 will be rough. Plan your detox. Recovery is about us releasing those dark secrets inside.
An anonymous person said: if you keep your secrets inside they will grow dark and fester, but if you put those secrets out they will die.
Most of us in recovery are not only recovering from drug anise but from trauma that occurred at some point in our lives. I hope you find peace in your recovery and never let anyone shame you for the disease we share.
As for withdrawal, for the cramps warm baths soothing music to take your mind away from it. I use essential oils so for the anxiety like feelings I used several oils to calm my mind and body. Oils are very effective and there is tons of scientific proof behind them today. Many hospitals and doctors offices actually use them as well.

I used to think I hated Lavender but the. When I found Real essential oils the scent was not the same as the synthetic smells in our everyday perfumes, soaps, etc.
Traci

Posted: October 20, 2014, 4:06 PM

So this is my story based only on the methadone aspect. I have been going to the clinic for a little over a year. I only let my dose get to 80. I have been coming off of it for 2 months. I am currently on 2 milligrams and of course experiencing the withdrawal already. I smoke weed and I am prescribed xanax. These things give me minimal relief. I am caving mentally. I don't feel I am strong enough to get past the withdrawal. Most of the success stories I see have something to do with finding God or something spiritually based, I don't have that and don't believe in that. HELP!Traci.rolfe@Yahoo.com

post replypost new topic