Newbie - 16 Year Old Son (iv Drug Use)
Posted: January 5, 2019, 1:21 AM

Sad eyes - thank you for your words of support. They mean a lot to me.
Posted: January 5, 2019, 5:16 PM

Yellow bird.Is the girlfriend still at your house? I read you were thinking of a professional intervention. What happens to the girlfriend.
Posted: January 9, 2019, 1:41 PM

Walkedon - thanks for asking. Sorry I’ve been MIA, I’m really struggling these days. It takes every ounce of energy I have just to stay awake and go to work. This is true hell.

The girlfriend is gone from the house. We locked the basement door and changed the locks. It is now a no-entry zone. I haven’t seen her for about a week. We’re not letting her back in the house. We don’t support the relationship so our son is going to have to leave if he wants to see her... and leave he does, for days at a time.

My husband and I had a disagreement the other day that speaks to how we see our role in this. I I feel as though I’ve failed as a parent for not being able to control my young child.. He’s only 16 years old, so I feel as though it is my fault somehow. My husband disagrees, he believes the responsibility lies solely with our son. As with most things, I think the truth lies somewhere in between. We played a role, but our son did as well.

I just can’t stop beating myself up.

We are still considering an intervention. We had a conversation with the interventionist, and we like her. We want to hire her but I’m nervous about being able to follow her instructions. Can I do it? Can I call the police on my son? I’m caught in this scary place where I fear that the actions I take will steer the ship in a direction I don’t want it to go, but I know that I can’t control the outcome. I can only do what I think is best and hope for a positive outcome. The rest is up to our son.

I did take my son to the police once to be taken for a mental health evaluation. It was so hard. He has stolen from us in the past and we didn’t charge him, but we will if he does it again. We let him know. It’s just so hard.

This post has been edited by YellowBirds on January 9, 2019, 1:47 PM
Posted: January 9, 2019, 3:15 PM

I hope the interventionist has a clear path. I did everything my self. Calling police, having kid arrested,taking her to the mental.hospital. I wish some one could have said do x y and z.
The arrests didnt work. She only got fines and probabtion,and that didn't go in to effect for 6 months after the arrest. So that was 6 more months of drug use.Pysch wards didn't help..only there for a few days. There needs to be instant repercussions and a clear plan.
  top of page  Top