Coming Off Methadone
Aleetif
Posted: April 19, 2016, 2:58 PM

Hello Everyone,
This is a great forum for me. Thank you to all that contribute.
I have been on methadone since 2002. I was as high as 90 mg the first year but have been at 48 mg for quite some time. I just spoke with my counselor today about tapering off. We have talked about this before, and because of my history of mental illness, I need a good foundation to taper down to. I am going to get prescribed something for my bipolar along with starting a very slow taper. She suggests 1 mg every 2 weeks.( I go twice a month and take home 13 bottles.) I don't use any other drugs so the only thing that can jeopardize me going slowly with my taper would be fees. I pay 100.00 every two weeks.
I do not regret going on methadone. i think it has worked really well for me to a point.It definitely brought a much needed structure and normalcy to my life , if you will. But I also feel I've kind of lost myself on it as well. I've gained 60 lbs. I'm not dope sick but I'm not sober either. it bugs me. I want to show myself that I am strong enough and worthy enough to live a clean life.
I've heard a lot of good things on here. I am going to start a workout program too. I know weight loss while tapering will help a lot as well. I want to flush this s*** out of my bones, muscles, tissue as quickly as possible.
I did do a rapid detox off methadone in 2000. I had only been on 50 mg for about 3 months I think. The detox wasn't too bad. Obviously I relapsed though. Ironically it wasn't dope I relapsed on but crack. Boy is that the worst drug ever. Anyway, dope came again about seven mon ths later.It's a horrible disease. As i said though methadone did allow me the ability to function again but now I am ready to take the next step and be done with it. I hope.
I've done many, many meetings.I've had sponsors and worked the steps. I've been to at least 3500+ meetings..AA/NA works great for those that are able to sitch their addiction to recovery.I believe those are the people for whom the 12 steps are successful.I will continue to surround myself with winners. I think support is very important. Thanks to all offering their support here. I hope to be some help to others as well. Blessings, aleetif
Worried
Posted: April 19, 2016, 10:12 PM

I have been on methadone for 4 years right now I'm on 24mg I really need to get off this. Please what can I do so I can be off this ASAP. I'm so done with this. But I do get legs pain, anxious, anxiety, sweats when I don't take it for 3 days what can I do. Please I need good advice
Posted: April 20, 2016, 2:47 AM

Hey everyone
I think you guys are lucky and happy, becouse, beside the truble and suffering, you still can share your exp. and speack about it with others. It's not less important then taking off of mdone itself. It's a right way you're strugglin' and never give up. But i also appriciate the opinion that in fact taking mdone is not the worst thing could ever happen in our life and there shouln't be a doubt that if someone decides to live with it it's a choice and we have to respect this choice. And my own struggling is my husbands' . He still doesn't want to speack, or listen ,or share his feelings, he's trying his best but he can't. He stopped taking it from 40 mg and didn't take it almost three weeks, he was on program for five years. He doesn't take any other drug but pain relief pills and here in our country we got no medical support or clinics where he could be helped. I think he should take some other antidepressants too. I don't know how to help him, i even don't know the importance of family in that. If anyone can give an advice, pls reply me
Thank you all and god bless you all.
Posted: April 20, 2016, 12:53 PM

Hey all,
Been a long time since I logged on to the board, use to be over on the heroin side ...not sure but I think it's been over 5 or 6 years now...feels so strange to be once again back on the rattle train...also coming off methadone...sick and miserable ...day 6...just thought I'd pop in for a minute. .this board saved my life awhile back...glad to see it's still here.

Con
aleetif
Posted: May 9, 2016, 11:00 AM

Hey all,
I started my weening down. I am going very slow. Mostly because I only am at the clinic 2x a month. I am withdrawing a milligram every two weeks.
Posted: May 20, 2016, 7:56 AM

Hi, I do have a topic saying this but this looked like a good topic to join and maybe get the help I so desperately need... Original topic is Methadone, Britlofex, HELP! But I dont know if anybody can help.
I am 25 and was addicted to herion/ crack (speedballing) for around 7/8 years. in the last 2 years I began to take pre-gabs from a friend, morphine and other medicines inc diazipam, zopiclone.
I am no longer using illegal substances and After my sons dad was sent to prison yet again. I decided to uproot and move back to London to be near family. My son is staying with my mum where I was living over 200 miles away which is really hard.
I am on Mirtazipine for the depression and am down to 40ml of methadone. I decided enough was enough. there was too much abuse in the relationship (drug abuse and domestic/psyc) So when he was sent to prison yet again I decided i was going to leave. I have tried before and succeeded in getting clean for short periods but nevery really off the methadone... I also always went back when he was released.
I want to know what my options are when trying to get off of the methadone... I have heard of britlofex and would really like some information if anybody can help. do they work..? do they really help the withdrawal symtoms,,,? and how do you take them, I heard you take 1 one day , 2 on day two and 3 the next etc... then reduce again?
I have heard good and bad things about them and have looked online but its all wikipedia etc. I would like to hear from real people. I know everybody is different but i would just like to hear others' views. Britlofex is not actually legal in US i don't think but is here in the UK...
Sorry for spelling/ grammer mistake, i have to be quick.
Thank you and I hope somebody writes back :-)
laura
Posted: May 23, 2016, 5:38 AM

Hello there, I've found myself here through google search, I feel a bit stupid, as I don't really know what I'm doing and the post here seem really old, so I don't even know if anyone will reply to me?

So anyway... I'm staying in England with my French boyfriend who has been on a methadone program for quite some years now. Before that he started on heroin and later moved on to morphine. overall it's been 8years.

We have been staying with my mom for a couple of months now and since being here, he had to make the trip back to his centre in France once to get his prescription, because no one would help him here. Anyway, he's had enough! He just wants a normal life, he wants to be free from this and even though we do argue about it often, I've never pushed him to do a detox or lower his dose. He was reducing his methadone gradually and I've been helping him however I can. But he often slips up, usually after arguments, he'll take more...

Anyway, one of the centres that wouldn't help us with a prescription, said "why doesn't he try to detox" which at that point was not an option in his or my head. But I guess that sent the ball rolling... and he decided over the weekend to tell me that he'd spent three days thinking about nothing else but coming off, cold turkey!

Obviously, I was filled with pride ! I never thought that I would hear those words, but he says that in his horrible life (he's had a crazy f**ked up life I can tell you) he's never felt so safe and secure and therefore ready to go for a detox! But as well as pride I felt terrified of what is about to happen to his body and soul, through this evil journey! I want to know how best to help him. He has spent almost a week preparing his mind and now I have to prepare everything else.

Now, the thing is he is doing this detox from 80mg... and from what I gather this is very high. I just hope that he can physically do it? What are the risks? He is on his first day, where he's taken just half his dose, so 40mg... and the rest of the methadone he flushed down the toilet!!!!
which means, there's no going back! because he can't get a repeat prescription in England and going back to France in this state is out of the question. We are my friends, all systems GO!

He says to me that he doesn't want any "benzos", because he knows that he'll just be addicted to them as well after and he wants to be clean from everything. But I need to do something!!! I need to get him some sleeping tablets at the very least no? I am so full of conflicting emotions right now, fear, excitement, pride...

I could really benefit from advise from the people here, but please, please, no negativity. We are already going ahead with it. Well.... he is and I need info on how best to make him comfortable, get him to sleep properly... food... vitamins etc etc... I am sooo scared it's untrue, but I am not showing it, so as to be his rock!
Thanks
Laura and Josh

HELP US PLEASE!
Methadone 4 10+
Posted: June 8, 2016, 7:48 AM

Hello readers,
I have been on mmt for the last 11 years. I can honestly say it has helped me regain a sense of normalcy in my life, Princeton's I can hold a job which I couldn't before I can pay my rent, bills, etc. I was even able to buy a new car while being on mmt. but I'm finding out now the negatives of the length of time that I've been on it. for those of you that don't know about methadone, it Rob your body of calcium that's why you see a lot of methadone users with no teeth. also, it has ruined my bones I have some form of bone disease called avascular necrosis and several joints due to the methadone use. now not only am I dealing with methadone but I have to have a steel rod put in my femur Steel Rod put in my tibia and a full knee arthroplasty. why methadone has some great traits to it like getting your life back together, it also Rob your body of calcium which can affect your teeth bones and all out health. I'm going to try not to ramble here but I just heard anyone who's on MMT to try their best to come off of it as soon as possible that way it's not detrimental to your health like it has been mine. best of luck to anyone reading this.trust me the struggle is real.
Respectfully yours,
mr. mmt for 11 years
grownman scared hopeless
Posted: June 22, 2016, 4:32 AM

Lpoking for help scared suicide option
??? !!!
Posted: June 22, 2016, 5:16 AM

Ok...just picked you up on your first thread...breathe buddy...talk to us ...what's your doc ? It's gonna be ok...if you can't pull out of the crazy..call the hotlines...call NA...call someone....I just rode this train...I get it...did you taper or jump off your dose ? What happened?
Posted: August 18, 2016, 12:18 AM

Hi I read that your not a dr. But you are there for anyone needs support. I tried ya but said failure.
Posted: August 20, 2016, 5:22 AM

Dude...cut me slack bro...im a junkie...not always there...what's up ?
Posted: August 22, 2016, 11:17 AM

I want to respond to Peezys post but Im having a hard time figuring out how to directly reply
.....This is the first time I have read such a healthy post about Methadone. I too am detoxing off Methadone....Im down to 6 mgs after tapering down the last two years very slowly. I needed to work my Recovery before I could get strong enough to want and push through this. I cannot find another person who eats healthy, does Yoga regularly (Im super fit), works hard and goes to 12 step meetings daily....and who is also on Methadone. I want to know how it feels after dropping off of 2 mgs? Thats when I will take my last dose. I do want to say Methadone SAVED my pill poppin life. I am on fire in my life and I cannot wait to be totally opiate free. I dont drink or take a single medication. Not even advil. Its been 5 years of living clean aside from the low dose of methadone. Withdrawals are a trigger for relapse...big time for me. That is why I have cushioned my fall and have dropped 1-2 mgs every week or two for a couple of years now. Im allowing the process. I didnt get here over night. It was 15 years of opiate abuse....it will take me years to clean up....this has been my mind set. F*** what anyone thinks...Im going to do this. Yes I am in Recovery...going to meetings regularly and working a strong program on Methadone. Thats right....it has saved my life. It has allowed me to get strong in Recovery in order to get clean....and i am almost there....Progress not perfection.

This post has been edited by jennyonfire on August 22, 2016, 11:28 AM
Booboo
Posted: August 26, 2016, 2:30 PM

What are some things I can do home to help with from withdrawal addictions? Actually, what kind I do period not just at home, what prescription or what home remedy can help with all withdrawals? Please help
Booboo
Posted: August 26, 2016, 2:37 PM

What are prescriptions or home remedies to help with methadone withdrawals?? Please help Soooo scared? Methadone withdrawals are Soooo hard
a mom
Posted: September 30, 2016, 5:34 PM

what I need to know is how to be helpful and how long does this take? I want to support and not sure I am doing the correct things!
K2R JF
Posted: October 2, 2016, 1:56 AM

Hi,
I've been on methadone for 8 years. Less than 2 years ago I decided, or rather felt, that it was time to taper. I started tapering slowly from 175 mg. and stopped the taper process whenever I felt troubled. Almost in one long push, 3 mg. per week, I've been able to make it now to 11 mg.. The Dr. at the treatment center now has me at 2 mg. per week.
I keep busy, follow the rules, keep honest, and in the past have raised when I felt bad or had cravings. I've always told people that you will know when you are ready to taper and still thought that I would be at 175 mg. for the rest of my life. One day I woke up and just knew that I was ready to taper.
I have only had mild withdrawal symptoms on occasion, at which time I ignore and do something active or productive. I am not completely off methadone yet but I know I soon will be. The worst, and best, surprisingly is the overwhelming sensations and emotions. I cried watching a movie tonight, for the first time in my life. I love it! You can do it too!
Thank you all for your support!
James beck
Posted: October 3, 2016, 6:29 AM

Thankyou everyone one for there advice today was my worst day of detox and nearly gave up until i found this site i know it can be done now just need to be stronger mentally

Peace and love, becks
MrMaDebbi
Posted: October 27, 2016, 4:10 PM

I am looking for some help.. I have been on methadone for 35 years, yes I said years.. I want to get off of it now. I am on 65mg daily. I was on 55mg for about 15 years in the beginning then went up to 65mg daily. I am getting old, I am 57 years old and a female. I am in N.J. I am totally done with getting high and have been for many years I do go to the clinic twice a month because I have been clean for many years, I get 13 th bottles. I worked very hard to get to this point. My husband was a junky and a alcoholic he has since passed away (2005). He used to bring home the drugs for us to use. I dont know what way to go as far as getting off methadone. I feel I am breaking down, my lungs are not doing to well, I am getting very weak. I lost a lot of weight. Can I get off nethadone without to much pain? Can I go in patient under a doctors care Can I do it at home with medications? Can you give me answers?? Thank you from MeMaDebbi in NJ..
Posted: October 27, 2016, 4:31 PM

Yes...and yes...talk to your doc and start a slow taper plan...slow is the key...don't taper large jumps...take your time. ..stop or pause if you need to and let your body adjust...don't rush it...drop slowly...space the jumps out by two week increments or even 1 mg a month ...it's not a race. ..listen to your body...and stay positive. ..best of luck...

Con

This post has been edited by constantine on October 27, 2016, 4:32 PM
  top of page  Top