< prev  post replypost new topic
My Taper Story

Posted: November 30, 2019, 1:18 PM
Day 80

I hope all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Those who are thankful in life are the happiest. I wish this for all.

Sleep may be improving. 6.5 hours plus another 1.5 broken. This is improvement.

Chronic pain interest——

So, I had white flour & sugar treats, in large quantity for Thanksgiving. Plus, I was the “tester” for several days prior.

Aches & pains made a comeback. Inflammation is very powerful.

I treated w Advil and a few days without the white flour & sugars and I’ll be fine. It’s a good reminder.

Lots begin with quitting sodas and see insulin fall and weight loss and so on.

Stomach —-still 2mg per day of Imodium but I am now able to skip a day here and there.

It’s progress.

Blessings to all!

Posted: December 1, 2019, 7:54 PM
Hi, you are an absolute inspiration for me. My son has been off Heroin for some months now and we have been doing a slow taper off Methadone at a rate of 1ml less every week.

My theory on this was that if the taper is slow enough the body will adapt. My son has reduced his methadone by 20% and says he doesnt feel any different and if anything is happier now than he was.

We can see he looks much healthier.

At this rate it will take him about a further year to reduce to zero but i am convinced a slow taper has to be the best way. I am sure thats why rehab isnt always successful; its too short a duration and few could afford 2 years in rehab.

By far the biggest struggle at first was persuading my son he would not go into withdrawals. In actual fact we reduced by just 1/2 ml for the first couple of weeks to show he would be ok.

Reading your post convinces me i was right to persuade my son to go the slow taper route.

Posted: December 3, 2019, 5:23 AM
Awesome, Jet!

It’s life, not a race.

Going slowly is, from studies, the best result for success.

I liken withdrawal to this huge ugly debt to be paid by the brain deprived of its exogenous opiate.

Cold Turkey means a huge payment that most cannot abide.

Slow taper?

You rarely miss the money —month by month.

When the jump is made, it is as if little, if any, was due.

Cutting sugar & processed foods was so helpful!

God bless your son’s commitment!

Posted: December 3, 2019, 11:48 PM
Hello Jet!
I remember your posts from a while ago. Congratulations to you and your son for Not Giving UP! I am thankful your son has been able to trust you and the 'process' that is needed to put active addiction in remission. If the methadone keeps him clean and a little happier, a two year break in addiction sounds like a welcome alternative. I agree, time is needed to adjust from addiction life to clean life.

Posted: December 6, 2019, 8:23 AM
Day 85

4 straight days without stomach issue. Am I through it? I hope so. No loperamide 7 days now. (Was using 2mg per day).

This is the longest reprieve from stomach issues in months.

It’s been helpful to read success stories dealing with PAWS. Being mentally prepared but also affirmation that it’s not unusual and it passes.

Sleep 5-6 hours but sometimes I can fall back to sleep. I am grateful for what I get.

Another interesting issue—-I got a cold again (school) —-this time it’s a normal cold whereas previously it was the longest and most intense I’ve ever experienced. This led to research where others have had immunity issues shortly after being off methadone.

Yet another reason to seek freedom from it.

Posted: December 10, 2019, 7:13 AM
Day 90

I’ve had much improved stomach for 8 days now.

Sleep broken but with slight improvements.

Sneezing less.

Recap —very slow taper, easy to jump of low dose.

Later, surprised a bit by PAWS, but nothing compared to the fears of withdrawal.

Posted: December 15, 2019, 8:12 AM
Day 95

It seems like 90 days was a real turning point for PAWS.

Slept 6.5 hours
Stomach better
Energy lags seem less & less

I’d say “I’m feeling like myself” but after 15 years on methadone , I’m having the exciting journey of discovery.

Posted: December 15, 2019, 8:49 AM
Chronicpain - wow day 95 is great and ya I think looking back around the 3 month mark was a breakthrough for me as well. This week was 4 Years and 4 months for me and I was telling someone how I was so thanks to be off methadone.

I can't wait to hear from you at your 6 month journey. Please keep it up because things continue to get better!!
JD 50's

Posted: January 30, 2020, 6:05 PM
Hi and congratulations. I'm day 11 and thank you for reminding me of the sugar issue. This is my third time doing this and caught myself repeatedly saying lately after a coffee with a half sugar in "that's just inflamed my symptoms" yet i still do it , but there ya go.
First time i tried in my late teens failed due to Paws after a month. Stayed on maintenance until second attempt lasted six years. Third time I was living on fruit water and organic veggies months prior and dropped rapidly from 16ml to less than 1mg and did it with ease and had the feel good from get go, lasted 8yrs. Gradually my old diet slipped back and probably why I went back on it. Still not sure what I was thinking to be honest, just went to the doc and asked for it back.
So this is actually my fourth time not third, and as i said this is day 11 without any.
I knew to do the slooow taper knew to drink water and eat good food, while not painless this time still very mild. Touch of stomach bubbling, one night slight kicky, but slept for a few hours every night; average about five hours.
Thanks again for the sugar reminder and hopefully all is still well.Well done and your post like many others on here is great info and works, good people round you is also needed i'd imagine as well as utilising the wisdom posted on this site.
I don't really post on the net but will pop back in a cpl months to check in and add my success update,just for anybody else who has fears of stepping off in the future.
Regards n Thanks, great site

JD

Posted: February 15, 2020, 9:13 PM
Hi hope everyone good. It will be a month tomorrow and no pain. The odd twinge but if I had to spend the rest of my life as now it would be no big deal. Almost everything back to normal so this will be the only update. The plan the main poster here used is by far the easiest way to do it,so get the lifestyle/diet changes done long before you ease off and it's not that bad.
Before I sign off i must say the amounts you take in the US is mind boggling, unless it's different strength to the UK it makes no sense. If it is liquid 1/1 methadone nobody needs hundreds and hundreds of ml no matter the habit. Unless I'm missing something which maybe the case. Anyway good luck to those that have and to those that are going to do it. You got this 8)
Regards and be kind to yourselves. Thanks again great site

Posted: February 18, 2020, 10:09 PM
Hey everyone I am just checking in. It is great to see so many people getting off methadone and living an awesome life. For people reading this just know that it can be done and there is victory.

When I first got on the site the people encouraged me to stay focused and it does get better day by day. That was all so true it does get better as each day passes. Just take one day at a time!!

Chronic Pain

Posted: November 9, 2020, 4:34 AM
It’s been 14 months now and doing well.

Lots of sports.

Stomach better. Some lingering PAWS.

Sleep disruption hasn’t rectified but I’ve learned to live with it.

It’s worth tapering down and getting off this drug.

I hope all are well.
post replypost new topic