< prev  next >  post replypost new topic
Your Brain On Opiates

Posted: November 23, 2013, 5:13 AM
Tim-
I'd be remiss in not mentioning the " surrender to win" attitude a recovering addict MUST understand, accept and practice. A losing mental battle does not have any place in a recovering addicts vocabulary. We surrender to win. Because just like finding a power greater than ourselves is paramount in recovery , we MUST remember that our disease of addiction is a power greater than ya, too. Obviously it's powerful or we wouldn't be chatting on this forum.
I really like the info you shared, but as you know, addiction is a mental, spiritual and physical disease that rips lives away. But we do NOT recover by knowing simple science if synoptic misfirings, etc. the disease of addiction has to be addressed in a spiritual manner. Because airs a program of unity, willingness, open mindedness and spiritual vision and change that keep us coming back.
All addicts are different. Though we have the same cunning disease, we recover at different paces, our synapses and chemicals vary in repair time from one addict to the next. There is no set time frame to go by... All I know as a professional in addiction and counseling is that WE DO RECOVER. Don't compare yourself to others. As long as you don't pick up , just for today- it's a successful day.
Many addicts have trouble distinguishing between boredom and serenity. Why? Because not only are we addicts that are addicted to substances, we are addicts addicted to DRAMA AND ALL THAT COMES WITH IT.
This really is a simple program for complicated people . But I can attest from my own recovery and experience , UNITY IS A MUST, and we cannot recover in sheer will power. Ever.
When addicts refuse SSRI meds early in recovery, for the sake if " being totally clean@.. Nonsense! If an M.D. rx's an antidepressant it's for a reason. So newcomers, give yourselves a break and remember that unless you are an M.D. That specializes in addiction medicine- you can't have all the answers . Your best thinking got you into recovery- so let that good thinking put the ego down and let the pros do their jobs. And newcomers, do your jobs. Stay clean one day at a time. Don't use NO MATTER WHAT. And always remember- our disease LIES to us.. Stick to the truths you know and can prove. And let your higher power take care of the rest!
Buckle your seatbelts- and hold on for the ride of your lives. Recovery.
Enjoy the surprises, and keep an open mind.
In living service , an addict named z

Posted: May 7, 2014, 8:21 AM
Bump

Posted: June 27, 2014, 8:51 AM
bump

Posted: October 13, 2014, 6:29 AM
Bump

Posted: October 14, 2014, 3:31 PM
All this s*** is true and dandy, but once i start to remember my withdrawals days 1-3 im happy again knowing alteast im not crawling out my skin

Posted: October 14, 2014, 10:44 PM
I have finally gotten some help through a doctor whom hasn't filled his limit on patients that he prescribe to. I would have gotten help a long time ago if it weren't so expensive. it;'s no wonder people never get clean.
I was taking 10-30 pills a day. I'm now on Suboxone and I tell you what, i high recommend this for everyone who suffers from addiction. I would suggest calling around and find a dr nearest you, and schedule an apt ASAP. It takes away all the withdrawl symptoms. W/d is what scared me most. With the Suboxone, i have NO cravings for pills. It plays on your opiate receptors and blocks those receptors. If you take pills while on Suboxone, you feel nothing from it because of the receptors that are being blocked from it. Suboxone saved my life. Not to mention the dr i saw was not judging me and he was very sympathetic.

I would love to know more about the science part of addiction and suboxone. Anyone willing to write me back, i would much appreciate it.

Posted: October 16, 2014, 3:17 PM
I like the way things are explained in this post. It's very helpful and puts things into perspective...especially for people that just don't understand what we go through.

Posted: October 26, 2014, 2:26 PM
thank you so much its really helped

--------------------
192.168.l.l

Posted: December 13, 2014, 5:46 PM
Bump ... so true.... Read the very start of this thread....

Posted: March 14, 2015, 1:33 PM
Thank you so much for this information. My son is in inpatient rehab for heroine addiction. His counselor tried to explain the medical part, but it was hard to understand. I have such empathy for this addiction. My son is a great person, with an illness. No one wants this problem. God bless you all that deal with this.

This post has been edited by MannMom on March 14, 2015, 1:33 PM

Posted: June 27, 2015, 8:57 AM
bump for millie

Posted: June 27, 2015, 1:26 PM
Thanks girl xxx

Posted: July 3, 2015, 6:03 PM
I am curious. does this happen to a person who stayed on a very low dose of a narcotic and didn't let the dr increase the dose. I swear I have been in constant withdrawal for 3 yrs. it has been rough and I am finally off. I didn't mean for this to happen as I had some pain which I ended up having 2 knee replacements in last few yrs. but I am feeling sick since it has only been a week since I been tapered off so I never took a very high dose only 20 of opana cause I wouldn't let the dr increase it. It has been a bad 3 yrs for me.

Posted: August 28, 2015, 7:06 PM
Bump

Posted: August 28, 2015, 8:30 PM
I agree with majority of this. I DONT believe and I can't emphasize enough the dopamine 'teasers' EAT that candy bar, especially dark chocolate....beets, spinach, ANYTHING that naturally raises dopamine. The more you build back up, quicker the brain heals..

Posted: May 9, 2016, 7:10 AM
I see this thread is very old... I'm hoping I can still possibly get some feedback? Especially since this is ur studied field... I've been doing tons of research hoping to find ways to speed up the process of healing mentally I have a 3yr old I can't b unable to function 4 a yr. I have put myself thru the misery of wds a few times but can never make it thru the 4th wk cuz I'm so miserable. Neway I've looked into using Sam e, a natural antidepressant as well as 5htp both promoted for helping w dopamine and serotonin production. However after reading this thread it seems production isn't the problem it's trying to find a way to close all the doorways? Wuld it even b beneficial to take these supplements to aid w sobriety?/paws?

Posted: May 9, 2016, 4:55 PM
Well, as an addict I don't think you can ever 'fully close the doors ' you know? Or maybe to an extent and remain clean and sober but just remember that chance of reopening is always there and not get 'too comfortable and confident. (If I'm making sense) my point is production IS important. eating healthy is one of the biggest things you can do to get your brain healing properly/speed up process..exercise as well. I took both 5htp and sam-e though not at same time. I don't think it's recommended to take together, can cause serotonin toxicity? 5htp has immediate effect. I think either would be helpful though have heard sam-e can cause mania..and well when dealing with paws, last thing anyone needs right? Though your body will obviously know, I would recommend either. 5htp much more calming effect... good luck

Posted: July 4, 2016, 9:52 PM
Thank you Tim and Michelle,

I find all the information you have both given me very useful. I am a recovering heroin/meth addict with eighteen months. I am hoping to find some peace soon. I find myself feeling anxious, awkward, inverted even scared around people I don't know. I over emphasize and over think every human encounter. I am always worried about being the best me and that only makes me an over worried stress case. I have had two surgeries since I first got sober. Both were extreme painful and both times I took my opioid medication is prescribed with plenty left over I didn't take. I think where I'm going with this is to a couple of questions(for anybody whom cares to answer). How did you feel at eighteen months? How much time do you have? How do you feel now?

Thank you

Posted: July 31, 2016, 11:01 AM
i take 2 methadome tabs maybe once a week. When I know I have a big day at work I pop two and i smash the work out and feel good. I would never do it more than once a week. Do u think this is still a problem. I might stop it know after reading this post

Posted: July 31, 2016, 10:42 PM
You say you won't do it more then once a week, but chances are you eventually will. Trust me! at some point to get that jolt of energy, you might say f*** it and take one mid week..it will just progress..stop while you are ahead...methadone is no joke, and wouldn't wish the withdrawal experience on anyone!!
post replypost new topic