next >  post replypost new topic
Quitting Smoking Cigarettes
itspossible

Posted: July 16, 2017, 8:19 PM
I know this may be a little off topic on this board, so please forgive me, but I'm am going to kick the next thing on my list which is cigarettes..
Have any of you guys got any tips for me? anybody on here quit? Id love to hear any and all advice.

Posted: July 16, 2017, 9:09 PM
Same way as Opiates coldturkey... Addiction=Abstinence....it's my next step also....let me know how it goes...

--------------------
Stay Strong for Today

Posted: July 17, 2017, 4:57 PM
Hey it'spossible, How are thing going for you.. How much clean time do you have now?? Just wondering where your at.....

--------------------
Stay Strong for Today
itspossible

Posted: July 17, 2017, 6:22 PM
hey lvg.. ive got 11 1/2 months clean..I went cold turkey {which I don't recommend} last aug 3rd..

I haven't taken ANYTHING.. A few ibuprofen, nothing else. Nothing for sleep,stomach,nerves..I just went hardcore..

slow taper over a long period works for a lot of people.. " overfifty" on here was successful with it amongs others..I was just never able to taper..

I'm going to quit smoking this aug 3rd if all goes well..

how are you making it?

Posted: July 17, 2017, 9:47 PM
@itspossible

Aug 3rd? I jumped July 12th! Crazy how close are jumping times are. Good for you! Isn't it great not having that huge gorilla on your back? Forced to see that type of Doctor, drop off samples like your not trustworthy or have done something wrong, can't go away anywhere overnight without remembering to have that drink packed with you...rushing back home after being half way to work because you rushed and forgot to take it. Oh boy, I remember a few times being so angry speeding back home to down it and rush back to work. It's such a wonderful thing not being chained down to anything, isn't it? And the new emotions! Yes, I do still sometime get those times in the day when I feel set back with anxiety and the pawsy feeling, but it passes. I keep reminding myself, its still quite early in recovery from this type of mu receptor altering drug and the brain still has a lot of healing to do. I would take any bad days I feel now over any "good" day when I wasn't clean. No chains, my friend! It really does pass....it just takes a while. Btw, I'd love to see updates once you quit smoking.

Posted: July 17, 2017, 10:18 PM
Hey it's possible, Good for you my friend we are a select few that have done this.. I to take absolutely zero pills,no vitamins they actually made me sleepy.. I eat healthy cause I still have stomach issues, I just finally got the extra methadone weight off, I look awesome,feel awesome pretty darn good lately.. now with all that said I'm really hoping the bad, largethic lead suit days are behind me, but as you know this process is so unpredictable....All in all rebuilding all the wreckage I left in my wake of Active Addiction.. How are you Feeling lately..

--------------------
Stay Strong for Today
itspossible

Posted: July 18, 2017, 7:11 AM
@needhelp123 its a great feeling not having to worry about taking that poison.. You really don't understand what it does to you until you get off it..I still have minor issues I am dealing with but nothing like the early days of getting off..Theres not doubt I have a ways to go but I can see the light now wheres as early on there was no light, just darkness..
I will let you know how the quitting cigs go..Im putting together a plan for that..
As for the feelings go, well, you don't know what you got until its gone..You never relized how good water feels on you, or how great the sound birds make, or a sunrise is or a sunset is..It sounds strange but its true..Im filled with remorse, regret and a sense of wasted time..Ive got a lot of fences to mend, but its never to late and it is possible..Havee a great day brother..
itspossible

Posted: July 18, 2017, 7:17 AM
@lvg I'm doing good,thank you for asking..Im also still lazy and have a lack of energy but its getting slowly better..Im doing stuff now that I haven't done in years..Trying to make up for lost time and I feel overwhelmed at times..Im just glad I didn't wait 1 day longer,there is no better day than TODAY,theres no better time than the PRESENT..If any body out there is reading this thinking about coming off, it is 1005 TOTALY WORTH IT..YOU ARE WORTH IT !!!!

Posted: July 18, 2017, 8:30 AM
Yes it's so worth it... I'm working at it daily.. Most days great some not so great but we are Human....

--------------------
Stay Strong for Today

Posted: July 19, 2017, 9:56 AM

7 weeks today for me. Also completely clean and sober. Baby Aspirin is my friend. I didn't actually quit smoking (2.5 ppd) but switched over to vaping. Mixing all my e-juice myself. I consider it a safer alternative . The real cigs were killing me. Here's an article on a study done by the Royal College of Physicians, the same folks who discovered the link between cigs and cancer in 1962.
I say, Quit if you can but if you can't at least try a non-combinationable nicotine delivery system.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsu...m-from-smoking/

--------------------
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Posted: July 19, 2017, 10:08 AM
Where's the study on vaping??

--------------------
Stay Strong for Today
itspossible

Posted: July 19, 2017, 11:17 AM
thanks for the response guys.. congrats on your 7 weeks dave...You are going where few have gone and you will reap the benefits from it, that I promise..

I know its not going to be easy to put the cigs down, but neither was my other problems, but here I am knocking on a year cleans door..
I'm sizing it all up at the moment and preparing to climg my next mountain, wish me luck..

I hope everybody has a great day !!

Posted: July 19, 2017, 10:12 PM
Congrats to all of you!! And even more so for contemplating quitting smoking after beating one big a** demon!!!!!! For real...after kicking methadone my smoking INSANELY went up. So much props to you guys!! :)
itspossible

Posted: July 20, 2017, 10:14 AM
Thanks marykate for your support by responding here..Ive read many posts by you over this past year, and let me tell you, I APPRECIATE YOU and what you have done for this community..This place needs people like you..
My smoking has also went up from 1 pack to 1 1/2 packs a day..I needed them {along with my coffee} this past year more than ever..But its just another crutch..Its another weakness that I don't need in my life if I'm going to go to higher places..Its going to get interesting, but I'm going to give it a go..If I fail, ill keep trying until I succeed, I wont give up..

have a great day !!!

Posted: July 25, 2017, 6:05 PM
@itspossible.. I recently started cleaning house for an older woman. Pills EVERYWHERE!! I've glanced at the milder pain killers..tempting. The morning I read your post I went there and saw a bottle of oxycontin. I picked it up several times..I thought about what you said. I thought about how far I've come..and put it back. So yeah we are all helping each other..you definitley did that day. It's hard when staring you right in front of f***ing face. When it's that time of the month for me my impulse control is extremely low...and again today I looked and fought with my head. I'll keep trying to stay strong..you do the same. Everyone on here :)

itspossible

Posted: August 3, 2017, 8:23 AM
well, I got my 1 year clean as of this morning..im still struggeling quiting my cigs though , but I know it will come and I'm not giving up..
hope everybody has a great day today..

Posted: August 3, 2017, 9:24 AM
@it'spossible
BIG CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 1 YEAR CLEAN.
I've composed a celebratory haiku for your achievement.

Getting clean is hard.
But with work you can succeed.
It is Possible.

--------------------
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Posted: September 27, 2017, 8:13 AM
Hello it'spossible, How are you doing these days. Update when you can..

--------------------
Stay Strong for Today
itspossible

Posted: September 27, 2017, 9:30 PM
hello lvg, I'm doing very well..I am comming up on 14 months in about a week,..To be honest, I have to check the days date and count to even see where I'm at, I never think about it..I will always know my quit date however,that day wont be forgotten..I don't have any lingering symptoms except for bouts of laziness,and sometimes I'm extra tired when I get home from work..
On a side note I was sent for a drug screening { routine } about 2 weeks ago and and really had a great feeling knowing that there was nothing in my body..My paperwork had 10 panel checked on it and I just laughed to myself..
Anyway, These damn cigarettes still have me, but beating them is on my mind and I'm just like a tiger stalking its prey,im just waiting for the door to be left open one day and I'm going to walk through..

If my memory serves me, you should be approaching a year? That's HUGE,your an inspiration to many people and you should hold your head up high and proud of that accomplishment..Im glad to see you and thanks for asking about me..

Posted: September 28, 2017, 10:40 AM
Hey it's possible, yup still clean for today.. Same here just mild lingering physical symptoms now and again but I'm thinking after 30 years of abusing drugs and wide awake Feeling it I have gotten older...yes I admitted it... ughh.my broken down beat up body from all the garbage.. of course after a long day it's natural to be tired..I just have to accept it that I'm not 18 anymore...it's 11 months still going strong. Glad to hear you are also..be well..the journey continues.....

--------------------
Stay Strong for Today
post replypost new topic