< prev  post replypost new topic
Swallowing Suboxone
travis

Posted: December 26, 2015, 5:56 PM
I've been on suboxone about 3 months. They say it is less affective if you swallow. Sometimes though once it starts to dissolve I end up swallowing it in accident. Still seems to work for me though bit who knows could b placebo. Could b I'm so used to them I don't notice much difference
Jacqueline McDougall Anderson

Posted: January 17, 2016, 8:40 AM
Hi I really love some of the quotes I read, brilliant keep writing.
Spread hugs not drugs πŸ’πŸ’– xx happy being clean nearly 9months. Yippee.
Stay strong and positive, honesty is the best policy.🌴🌊🌴.xx
Kris

Posted: March 26, 2016, 5:06 PM
cowgirl
I think your missing the point. The first comment you added was not very nice. The person taking 16mg a day supervised is trying not to take as much because she feels the effects highly and needs to reduce. Her Dr is retarded. 8mg is a high dose in itself. 16 is to the point of being high. Now if you were taking saboxone for chemical dependency treatment and we're taking 16MG a day, and getting high.. don't you think a reduction would be necessary? Or should she up the patients dose and get her even higher and more hooked on a substanc? That seems counter productive to keep her taking the same dose over time. The whole point of saboxone is to ween people off so they are dependent on air and water instead of a pill.
sodonewithsubox

Posted: April 4, 2016, 12:47 PM
well i came on this morning to get some advise but i see there are no recent posts. last i see are from 2012.... i have been on suboxon strips for about 4 years. i started on 2 strips and it was awful. i could not think or focus or sometinmes even speak. I became dependent on percoset after being injured and during that time i had a horrible tragedy in my life. and unbearable tragedy of the life of my newphew / godson who drowned a few days before his 2nd birthday. in the monthes after i became more dependent on the percoset for my nerves and not so much pain except for the devesatating pain in my heart. shortly after i found out my husband was having a full blown affair. It was all enough to make me terribly horribly depressed.
I went to a doctor because i could not and did not want to take any more drugs. I needed to be a wife and more so mother and to get my life back on track. i would like to say it was all my husbands fault but it was not. and through love, hope and God we are stronger today than ever and married over 25 years. when i first went for treatment, i hated talking with the Dr. he said that i thought of myself as a person who was too perfect to ever be caught up in something like being dependent on drugs as well as other things.. weather true or not is does not matter, i was and i hated myself. I know the subox has helped me more so with my depression (as i am told it is used in other countried to treat anxiety and severe depression. I had no use nor urges to continue using percoset once i realized i had bevome someone horrible. So..... i recently have cut back from my 8mg/2mg strip to taking a quarter of it for the main reason it suddenly makes me sick to my stomaach and even the thought of taking it makes me gag. i put the small piece under my tongue wait for saliva to fill and swallow with a glass of juice. it is the only way i can get it down without vomiting it up. I have NO IDEA why this has happend and practically overnight. I so want to be done with it because i am on other meds for depression and i would rather just be on them. Life is good, life is very good now and i sometimes wonder if its not physcological that my body does not want it. i am hoping that me swallowing it for the most part eventhough it starts out under my tongue is helping and i do have to say "for the record, i think it still works" so just like there are good and bad stories about coming off of the suboxon and everyone reacts differently i also think that by swallowing it after a few seconds under the tongue to be just as effective for me - not everyone is the same

Posted: April 19, 2016, 1:13 PM
Hello,
I don't know where to go. I'm nervous. I'm hoping someone will be willing to listen to me and give me advice. Ive been on suboxone a little over a month im on 8mg 3 times a day. Is that a lot. I was addicted to Percocet I took 11_14 Percocet 10 mg in a day. I just need someone to talk to. I find myself taking more than prescribed on some days quite a few. Why?I have more questions if anyone is willing to listen. Im 31 and a mother of 2.
shay

Posted: April 22, 2016, 9:04 PM
I take the same amount as you daily not to mention a little more sometimes because I am prescribed sub/ and tex at the moment its a fluke it will quit soon but. I swallow my sub and do the tex completely different. I put the sub in coffe though I still feel it but im not sure if that could be why I need three a day or not? idk I'm struggling as well with my recovery and am about to have my first child as well so im trying my best just wanted to let you know you are not alone I take 3 a day and maybe 2 more sometimes ...

Posted: April 22, 2016, 9:27 PM
24mg of suboxone a day is quite a bit. Let me put it into perspective for you...

My drug of choice was heroin, 1-2 grams a day. I was only on 6mg a day when I started. It took me about 15 months to finally taper down and jump. I'm not a doctor and every case is different. That just seems kinda careless on the doctors part, in my opinion.

Dissolving and drinking the suboxone is probably not the best of idea's to be honest. Suboxone contains naloxone which will essentially block the bupe from working. It's designed like that to prevent people from not taking it as prescribed which is under the tongue. So yeah, if you're taking it any other way then as prescribed then you're hurting yourself more than anything.

Also, you mentioned you are pregnant. I'm assuming your doctor knows this? Suboxone withdrawal is no joke, far worse than oxy withdrawal or even heroin withdrawal in my opinion. On top of that, it last a really long time in comparison. I guess I'm just concerned of the withdrawal your baby will have to go through with mama being on such a large dose.

Also, bupe has a ceiling affect at 32mg.

I've assumed this whole time but let me just ask the question... this suboxone that you're taking is it supervised by a doctor or are you getting it off the streets and self medicating?

--------------------
"He who master others is powerful. He who can master himself is mightier still." - Lao Tzu
JaySon

Posted: October 18, 2016, 10:37 PM
I don't like the taste of it so I will try to swallow it tonight and I have 2 8mg strips. I have been on 30mg oxy for about 2 years now, this is what I'm gonna try to use to get completely off of everything. I want this so bad I know I will make it work. I expect some bad days and I'll take that because I put myself here. I wish the best for all of you and anybody else going through this ugly addiction. Hope this works for me and also you. Good luck guys and God Bless
Kimberly

Posted: October 29, 2016, 10:36 PM
I have a question for you, WHEN YOU SWALLOWED THE SUBOXONE, DID YOU NOTICE ANY DIFFERENCE? I feel like you have the answer to your own question. Unfortunately, I only have a two week script and dont have any to experiment with that is why I am searching the internet for an answer. I thought the purpose or concept was to be absorbed quickly to stop the cravings for the opiate and to quickly relieve the withdraw symptoms. Time for me is not a concern at this point I gag easily over taste and smells I find myself gagging the entire time its dissolving under my tongue
Jovi Girl

Posted: January 8, 2017, 6:35 PM
Sinead, I absolutely had to reply to your comment because what cowgirl said not only PISSED ME OFF!! But her comment is not only offensive but COMPLETELY INACURATE

but first let me say that SWALLOWING sub, WILL NOT have the same effect....not by a long shot! It's actually only about 6% effective if swallowed. The reason it needs to be under the tongue is because it goes directly into your bloodstream through all the veins that are located under your tongue. I just started sub so I did a bunch of homework, and asked my pharmacist, my nurse, and my pharmacist.

So, Sinead I'm going to get to an accurate answer for you in a minute but first, I want to address her comments!! Cowgirl, obviously you're not paying attention!! Because this girl is being "force-fed" 16mg of a substance that she feels IS WAY TOO HIGH!! She wants to take LESS than a whopping 16 mg dose!

She's not trying to "cheat" anything! She's not trying to get high! She's not trying to manipulate or lie her way into instant gratification! Actually, quite on the contrary...she's trying to lower her dosage so that she can be on her way to kicking suboxone all together! AND I THINK SHE IS AWESOME FOR DOING THAT!! Because "addictive behaviour" might be someone that bulls***s their way into saying they need MORE of a substance! Not LESS!!

YOU ARE THE PATIENT!! PERIOD!! .... At some point, people need to listen to their own bodies and their own concerns instead of a doctor who has a FINANCIAL GAIN into keeping you addicted!! (Yeah, nobody is even thinking about that factor)

AS A PATIENT YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE IN WHOLE, OR IN PART, ANY MEDICATION OR TREATMENT YOU DONT FEEL IS SAFE, OR CONDUSIVE TO YOUR HEALTH AND YOUR WELL BEING!!!

BUT BEFORE ANYBODY JUMPS DOWN MY THROAT.....I want to make it crystal clear that I am IN NO WAY suggesting that you not listen to your doctor in any way shape or form!! I am simply telling you what your LEGAL RIGHTS are!

So if you want to tell your doctor that being on 16 mg is way too f***ing much, and you don't want to be taking a very high dose of a SEVERELY ADDICTIVE SUBSTANCE!! Than knock yourself out!! He/she can't say s*** to you to force you to take a high dose that you OBVIOUSLY don't even need!!

Also....here's the other piece.... SUBOXONE IS USED FOR WITHDRAWL SIMPTOMS!! ....if you're taking 8 mg, AND FEEL FINE.....THAN YOU DONT NEED TO BE "FORCE-FED" A WHOPPING DOUBLE DOSE WHEN YOU DONT NEED IT!!

Also....I wanna finish my rant by saying this

I LIVE IN CANADA

AND MY CANADIAN DOCTOR STOPPED RISING MY DOSE WHEN I STARTED SUB....THE SECOND I TOLD HIM I DONT WANNA TAKE ANY HIGHER THAN 10mg!

He wanted to go up to a possible 16!.... BUT I TOLD HIM I DID NOT WANT TO!! I told him I was feeling perfectly fine at 10! I told him that I wasn't feeling the withdrawal simptoms all that much! And I wanted to STOP at 10!

I AM THE PATIENT.....I HAVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE THE EXTRA 6 mg THAT HE WANTED TO PRESCRIBE TO ME! And he said fine! Because he's the doctor! But I'm the f***ing patient! And it's my body!

I cannot believe the f***ed up doctors in America! They will DO, AND SAY AAAAANYTHING TO MAKE MONEY.....INCLUDING KEEPING YOU HOOKED ON MEDS

Hun, If you don't want it....refuse it! You don't have to take anything over 8mg if you don't want to!! .....and btw....I think IT'S GREAT that you want to take 8 so that you can be on your way to kicking this garbage all together.... I've only been on it for one week....and I didn't want to go higher than 10 because I know how DIFFICULT it is to get off this very dangerous substance. Good for you. And don't let cowgirl influence your decision, your legal rights....and especially your well being, by saying offensive, TOTALLY INACURATE bulls*** to you!! ...

All the best darling
Connie

Posted: January 30, 2017, 12:52 PM
I've been on suboxone a few times and I started out doing it under my tongue but the taste of the strip is so nasty to me that it started making me vomit..... So I roll it up in a little ball and swallow it like a pill. I can't say that I've noticed it be any more or less effective swallowing it.
I maybe wrong and so I wish I could handle the taste... But I think it works about the same. The only problem I'm having is that it worked wonders the first 6 months and by the end of the 7th month to now it's just not helping me like it was before and that's concerning me because I'm afraid I may break and try pain pills again. Anyone have any good feedback? I don't know how I will get notified of a response on here...

*** Please do not post personal contact information. thank you, the moderators ***

This post has been edited by moderator on January 31, 2017, 9:47 AM

Posted: February 7, 2017, 6:44 PM
Just started Suboxone, (well actually Zubsolv), today. I'm coming off of methadone-Zubsolv didn't help-i called my dr office & he said it can take a couple of doses to feel better. I'm scared as anything b/c I've gone without methadone (26 mg), for 4 days & kind of expected this to help & it didn't.
Timdogg

Posted: February 14, 2017, 1:32 PM
Hi, I'm just posting on here in hopes that it may help someone else. I have been an addict for 18 yrs. I dabbled in a little of everything, but opiates are my drug of choice. I've been to rehab many times, of free will and not my choice both. Over the years I've finally realized that the only way I stay clean is with suboxone. When taken as directed and with good support, for me it's a miracle drug. Like other people have said, it affects everyone differently. So don't listen to everything you hear or read. Try a program and if it's not working, tweak it till it does. I've been on it for quite a while now, and my key is consistentsy. Same time everyday, and planning to make sure you keep the schedule even if you are away from home. As human beings we are creatures of habit, and as addicts any disruption of our routine can put us into a downward spiral. I've had it all and lost all, many times over. Just don't get overwhelmed or impatient! It does take time and hard work to get all the good back in your life, but only a moment and one time picking up to lose it all again. Stay strong, and support each other. Not just on here, but everyday life as well. God loves us all!
Bodi Wayne

Posted: February 14, 2017, 4:28 PM
Is there anyone still on this thread at all? I'm recovering from opiate addiction and am on 8mg 3xday. When a dose is referred to as 16mg.. is that 8mg twice daily? Also I'm prescribed Buprenorphine . How long will I have to wait before I can begin to step myself down? I know everyone is different but surely by now we have an average we can assess .?

Posted: July 14, 2017, 6:41 PM
Just a note, I'm older now, which makes no difference to addiction. In my late 20's I went to a court ordered rehab, in lue of another 5 yrs in prison. I stayed for 15 mos with o ly one attempt at leaving in the early part of the program. I stayed clean from heroin, Coke, speed, all substances for over twenty years. Then after a 14 year marriage went thru an ugly, ugly divorce and had an injury at work. Without question my Dr automatically put me on Percocet. After so long out of the loop I really had no clue what I was taking. Then someone gave me an oxycodone and it was on from there. Addiction in full swing.
I'm finally getting tired again, they're getting too hard to get legally and spend too much money buying them. So now I'm waiting for my Dr to get his Suboxone license and I'll try kicking from there.
fitz

Posted: September 1, 2017, 2:54 PM
s***. just swallowed my only half..but when i was active on 150mg of percs a day id have broke days obviously find sub on the street, swallow a quarter and feel amazing..soo idk wtf all you guys are talking about. as far as listening to SUBOX docs...dnt. Most just play a money game i mean ur on 16mg a day..it gonna be along road for you and job security for doc. orginally was made to be taken fr 7 days one..until some greedy prick saw he make more money and insure job security...MY FIRST OPIATE CAME FROM A DOCTOR...who to blame for posioning u.s.kids.. perc epidemic and getting the at local pharmacy

Posted: May 15, 2018, 2:57 PM
The only reason they have you dissolve Suboxone under your tongue is so it hits your bloodstream faster otherwise you should be fine your stomach acid will dissolve the Suboxone it just may take a little bit longer. But it’s acid so probably not
aaf

Posted: September 25, 2018, 6:14 PM
it does not matter what your counselor is saying she is not the one taking the suboxone. everyone eventually has to get off it believe me the clinic i am at we have people who are in their 50's and 60's who are still on 16 mg strips its ridiculous focus on your body and its response to it half is physical half is psychological reduce down to 12 then 8... Please do that.

Posted: April 26, 2020, 7:36 PM
I am not sure. I read the packaging and it says to put under the tongue or in the cheek. I would imagine it would not work as it should by swallowing. I'm not a dr though
post replypost new topic