< prev  post replypost new topic
Dxm Addiction And Withdrawal

Posted: November 1, 2016, 3:13 PM
I believe you are experiencing "addiction" as we all are here.

You are no different than me and millions of other alcoholic/addicts.

Put the drug down and walk away .. if you can't then get to NA.
At AA/NA you will find rooms full of folks just like you.

All the best.

Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)
DWright

Posted: March 21, 2017, 4:46 PM
Hello everyone,

I lost my brother Tommy to DXM last year. He was addicted for eight years. He overdosed in a hotel room near the mall. He was former alcoholic and oxycodone addict who became obsessed with DXM and it totally ruined his life. Every time, he relapsed he would undergo a psychosis that would put him back in the cycle of ER hospital, psych ward, sober house, the streets. DXM is a semisynthetic morphine derivative. Anybody who tells you that DXM is not a serious addiction is a jackass who doesn't know what they are talking about.

If you are addicted, it's not your fault. Don't let yourself wallow in shame and feeling that you are a victim. It's not your fault. Understand that the conflagration of mental illness and addiction is a wildfire that's near impossible to control without professional help. Get help, talk to your friends and family. Understand that you are loved. Understand that it's not too late. Every day is new chance to start again.

Douglas

Posted: April 27, 2017, 10:28 PM
Hello raven, I would love to talk to you. I have been using DXM daily to weekly for 6 years. Many people have had it worse than me, but I am starting to notice the negative effects of this drug on my body. I would love to hear back from you. sadly, I dont think I can message other users and we cant post email but a reply on here would be great!

I started when I was in my first year of highschool. I didnt start with dxm. I had tried nutmeg quite a bit before I got caught. after that it was benadryl which I abused for quite a while and had a few crazy times on it before it become a dud to me. but that leads me to DXM, which I had heard potentiated the dph. I had heard of chugging cough syrup to get high before but never thought I'd do it, but next thing I knew I was chugging the syrup with my benadryl pills.

For about 6 years now (I'm 20, started around age 14) I have used dxm as my own personal therapist. I thought I was being safe and rational with my usage most of the time, but I used it too much. many people here progressed rapidly by using it daily, this is because dxm self potentiates itself and gets stronger the longer you dose it. It's not like other drugs where you take it everyday and grow tolerance and have to take more, instead the dxm potentiates itself and gets stronger and lasts longer as the days go by, and it changes the way it feels and works. I would do this ever weekend on purpose for the entire weekend. I've written guides on how I dose. over the weekend I'd normally consume over a gram through multiple forms of dxm on the weekends I'd trip. I'd trip normally every weekend for the past 6 years with short breaks of a couple weeks to a few weeks to over a month, but I'd always trip again eventually.

I thought I was fine, I was never like people I'd seen before, examples include this board, but I have noticed over time that my memory has diminished to nothing and memory loss alone has ruined my life, but on top of that there is: schizophrenic thought patterns, intrusive thoughts, lack of motivation, anxiety, ocd, and I'm sure I'm forgetting other things that are important, but theres that. I need to lay off for a long time, maybe for good. The negatives are outweighing the positives, and though I still love this stuff and I dont want to quit, I do still know I need to in order to try and regain what I have lost.

would love to see another post from you, raven.
DoJoHo

Posted: May 9, 2017, 1:14 AM
I've been addicted to cough meds for 15 years. The longest I've gone without in that time was 9 months. This addiction is not like opiates and alcohol. It isn't just a mental and physical addiction. This addiction is psychological. Mine is causing me terrible stomach pain and a myriad of emotional disortions...and yet I continue to use. Not because I want to, or because I like it (I stopped liking it a LONG time ago), but because my brain craves it. My brain yearns for it as much as it does water. I need help. But conventional recovery means have not worked. Rehab and meetings create a mental foothold, but I don't know how to undo 15 years of psychological warfare with myself.
saosin80

Posted: May 6, 2018, 1:46 AM
Raven, are you still around? I'm stuck in the dxm hell. I've been taking it every night for months now. Hopefully there's someone to talk to
caroline

Posted: May 7, 2018, 12:41 AM
I'm 14 years old and addicted to coricidin/triple cs. The first time I took them was in January 2018, when I started dating an absolute toxic boyfriend. He had been addicted to them for about 5 months I think. I was naive and thought that taking cough medicine couldn't possibly be bad. That is when my life became a downward spiral. I was already extremely suicidal and fresh out of the hospital for a suicide attempt, and very soon my body was relying on dxm. Every day I would make up and excuse to go to walgreens and take as many boxes of coricidin as were in stock and steal them. In january i started taking 8, not realizing you can get high from 4. By February I was taking around 30 a day. I have brain damage and migraines to begin with, so my mind capacity is not fully there, and soon the triple cs just had me brain dead. I spent my spring break vomiting blood everyday from too many pills. I was going to school everyday high out of my mind, barely able to talk. I even did karaoke in front of like 200 people at school and didn't even realize any of this happened until the next day someone showed me a video. Even the literal crack heads at my school were saying I was too cracked out. I was a good kid. I am a good kid. I'm still so young. I have been officially clean for 8 days. I was claimed to be clean april 12 after almost getting arrested because I was so f***ed up that I got caught stealing in downtown chicago. I said I will never do them again because if I wasn't a minor, I would've been charged, and sent to rehab. Also the boyfriend that got me to try them was sent to rehab for a whole range of drugs he'd been using. Now that I've leaned back on triple c's weed is taking over. I'm buying $50 cartis every week. I don't get why I can't just be sober.

Posted: May 11, 2018, 6:27 PM
I have been using Nyquil Cough on a daily basis for many years. Not in extreme amounts but typically twice the dosage per night. I knew that I had a psychological dependence on it as I also used it while o abused alcohol. I have been sober from alcohol for over 2 years now. When I started withdrawing from it, I got lucky and had an ER doctor who prescribed medicine for me to use at home to ward off the worst of the withdrawal. I haven't had a drink since and haven't had any of the cravings. Recently I started taking less of the Nyquil and noticed I was having some similar issues as I had early in my withdrawal from alcohol (that sent me to the ER)
Racing heartbeat almost constantly, elevated blood pressure, breathlessness, anxiety, etc. I initially thought I was having a cardiac issue as I am overweight and still smoke. I've seen a cardiologist and am scheduled for further tests but the initial ones haven't shown any problems. I know that DXM can build up in your system over time and now I'm wondering if I'm not going through withdrawal from it. Does anyone have any information as to if these are typical withdrawal symptoms and if so, how long do they usually last because this has been going on for a few days now. Thanks.
Michelle

Posted: May 31, 2018, 12:46 PM
I am not addicted to dex, but my former partner is. It's what broke us up and I am still suffering a broken heart. I pray that everyone in addiction regardless of drugs find recovery like I have...it's a beautiful life and I hope you find it.

My question is, has anyone used Suboxone or Vivitrol to curb craving for dex? My understanding is that suboxone works for opiate addiction but I'm wondering if it somehow also helps with dex addiction. Has anyone tried it?

Michelle
Dxm_recovery

Posted: July 10, 2018, 6:50 PM
If the last commenter is still around I wanna reach out and see how you're doing? Your story sounds a lot like mine. I'm 3 months sober and it's scary. I want to specifically ask about the nerve condition you said you have that causes you pain cuz I have similar undiagnosed pain and I'm wondering if it's from dxm abuse?

Thanks for any reply 💜 hope all is well
Korrinth

Posted: August 1, 2018, 12:07 PM
I am 42 years old, female, mother, wife, have 11 years of postgraduate degrees, one in the medical field, and have taken DXM for the last 7 years. Nobody knows. I read about DXM over and over, embarrassed and ashamed of the abuse. Quitting is tough, as much of it is psychological addiction and not physical. The components of DXM bind to our brain receptors differently than barbiturates and narcotics; however, the outcome is different for each individual and recovery looks different as well.

Like many people with addition history, I have a mental health disorder rooted in depression. Although I have treated my Bipolar II, I have a higher probability of addiction in my life than people with no mental health disorders.

I give you all kuddos to your desire at attempting to quit, as many health care providers, counselors and treatment centers do not understand DXM addiction. Luckily, I am on my road to recovery. I increase my H2O consumption and started a vitamin B complex. I would also suggest a 1-3 day cleansing to help your system rid your body of toxins, not just the DXM but other toxins that accumulate due to substance abuse and your liver working overtime. Take it one day at a time, realize how much money you are saving (mine is 7200 a year) and love yourself. You may relapse, but realize the next day is a new day.
LeiylaTic

Posted: November 29, 2018, 11:23 PM
thanks for all your replies. Ideally Im looking for someone whose iPhone addiction has affected them so badly that they have had to get help. Dont suppose you know of anyone that would apply to?

Thanks,
Rachel
post replypost new topic