< prev  post replypost new topic
Has Anyone Successfully Stopped Taking Methadone?
Jason

Posted: January 13, 2017, 10:15 AM
I got off from 5 years methadone at 140mg, transferred at 50mg to sub's was on that a year and dropped cold turkey at 12mg. I free and my life is 100percent better now!

I never stayed clean on methadone. Not only did I use other things, but just being on methadone you are not clean. You are on a heavy drug!!! I mean heavy because for me it ruined every aspect of who I am without me realizing it in the process. I was one of those guys saying it saved my life to justify it to myself. Then I realized I sweat like mad all the time. My testosterone dropped so low I needed shots. I gained 50 pounds of fat and lost my muscle, motivation, sex drive, humor, and passion for life. My sleep was also disturbed. I was in multiple sleep cycles in a 24hour period, which is not normal.

Don't read the statistics, don't fear, and you have a choice. But, with that said you have to have a solid program in NA or AA. You have to do the step work, go to meetings, have a sponsor etc. I don't believe anyone can go at it alone.

Posted: January 15, 2017, 11:47 PM
I agree with Jason don't read statistics in fact if you want to get off then only ready positive articles. But I am living proof you can get off I have now been off 1 year and 6 months. taper slow and while you start your taper go to the gym and work out. The exercise will help you and sweat will get the methadone out faster. Drink lots and lots of water, take hot showers for the aches, use heating pads and ice for the restless leg syndrome, eat good food and rely on God.
T.albert

Posted: January 23, 2017, 1:17 AM
Hi, I'm from Canada, I went from doing 20-30 fentanyl pills a day which o put in perspective for people who don't know what fent is, half a pill killed my friend who used hydromorphone on a daily basis.. I went from that to methadone, started at 30 and went all the way up to 180mg daily, and dropped to 10 in the last 6 months, one thing people really need to understand is that after doing opiates for an extended time you lose touch with normal aches and pains and you get very discouraged when you feel them, but this is just normal life and you're just trying to get used to it again.. also when tapering off of anything, look at it as a percentage and not just ho many mgs you drop, for me getting to 30mg was very easy, painful on the first days after a drop but remember it's nothing compared to trying cold turkey.. I went down 10mg a week for about 3-4 months and then started 5 every week. It is now getting very hard, I have no cravings which is good but I am very lethargic, I can't sleep even with Ambien most nights and that's the worst part, the physical pain can be overcome mentally, at least for me, but I get crazy spikes of anxiety and it takes hold of me.. my dr will not give me any sort of benzo(which I can't blame her) I used to eat xan like candy). But I feel I wouldn't abuse it because of how badly I just want to be done, I go down tomorrow and it's gonna suck but life goes on, things always get better and the pain is nothing compared to cold turkey everyone needs to remember this, if I could choose one thing to stick in the minds of anyone reading this it's def that.

Anyone can do it and honestly if you don't have cravings then go down as fast as you physically can, if the cravings come back, maintain that dose for another week maybe 2 but don't think that the slower you go through easier it will be because that is false from a physical pov, mentally like I said you gotta get rid of those craving which is going to be a life style change.. the longer you maintain the harder your body fights to hold on, if you can find a drop %, not mg that is very important in my mind, you're body will get used to the slight aches.

Posted: January 23, 2017, 11:18 AM
I am on day 61 of being methadone free. I suffered no withdrawls during my jump to zero. Still have no withdrawls. I am out of the woods. I tapered long and slow. IMO everyone is different but you can't go wrong going slowly. It lets your brain heal. I tapered too fast once and suffered horrible withdrawls lasting over a month and didn't get better. I went back on methadone at 30ml. and then stabilized for awhile.(year or so) then began another taper slowly. The difference between the two withdrawls was night and day. IMO it takes along time for your brain to heal from methadone use. Maybe that's where paws comes in. Going too fast in your taper. I am comparing my experiences in tapering and in no way telling others how to do it or that their way is wrong. I tried many times to get off of methadone and this time was a success. I just never gave up I kept trying to taper. My doctor retired and I had to withdrawl off methadone this time for good. I was super scared for my first day without methadone but nothing happened. Day 2 still scared nothing happened. Fast forward day 61 nothing happened. I am methadone free and feel well.

Posted: February 11, 2017, 3:03 PM
Just a quick update. Day 80 free of methadone. No cravings no depression. I feel normal.
mila

Posted: May 12, 2017, 5:46 PM
i have just come off 70mls of methadone by going down 5mls every 4 days and honestly it was not that bad...the end was the worst but only had 3/4 days of lethargy and pains...i didnt have any meds..just night nurse to help me sleep and i found time went slow...very slow...but it gets better after about a week and i did it cos i have a newborn (3months) and i wanna be clean for him...if i can do it and still look after a newborn whilst detoxing anyone can!!
Ryan

Posted: July 28, 2017, 6:10 PM
I know it's 2017 , but someone I know who's perused these sites many, many times over a 20 year opiate addiction, I know people still read old posts looking for hope. This dude has come off methadone cold turkey 3 times. They've been off six years now the last time. It is horrible, no doubt, but it can be done if you are done. The lack of sleep is brutal and you wanna die but the further you push, the stronger you become. This person obviously used different aides to get through it and almost lost his wife because she knew all the signs of withdrawal. It can be done.

Posted: July 31, 2017, 11:29 AM
Ryan yes it's possible I'm 9months clean and free today..you have to really want it. Read Junky Dave's thread he's 2 months clean and going strong... Stay Strong For Today....

--------------------
Stay Strong for Today
Randomperson

Posted: August 6, 2017, 10:36 PM
I have been on Methadonefor about 12 years. I was never an addict but I take it for chronic migraines. I don't want to go on and on but it is possible to get off. I have also read stories of people dying from coming off cold turkey but I think that was people with underlying conditions like heart trouble or asthma. I was on 80mg at first for about 2 years then I got pregnant which was a total shock. During the first part of my pregnancy I didn't get any migraines so I started tapering off of my methadone but I only got gown to 40mg when the migraines started in my second trimester. I stayed at that dose and when I started into my third trimester the migraines went away again but my doctor advised me not to come off because he didn't want me to do anything that would stress the baby. Needless to say that was 10 years ago. Migraines are no joke and they returned after having my daughter so I stayed at 40mg even though it was not as effective. Fast forward 7 years and my pain management doctor got me Botox for my migraines and it really works! It's not perfect and during my cycles I still get migraines but it has been sooooo much better. I have been getting Botox for 2 years so now I am tapering off of the methadone. I have been cutting back 5mg every other week and I am currently at 10mg. I have been experiencing mild withdrawal symptoms but nothing too severe. The worst being insomnia! During this time I have only missed one day of work and that was due to migraine. I plan on cutting back by 2.5mg every other week now until I can get off completely. I believe I can do it. I do think you have to want it and be ready and even then it won't be easy but it is possible. I wish you all the best and would love any advice.
Randomperson

Posted: August 7, 2017, 12:09 AM
One more thing I want to add. The human mind and body are amazing!! I think for anyone trying to come off of anything that the most important thing to have is faith!! Faith in yourself and your ability to beat addiction, faith in your mind to overcome and faith in your body to heal!! A positive outlook is essential for success!! You have to really want it and you have to believe you can do it!! YOU CAN DO It! Don't let anyone or anything tell you different. It's your life and YOU CAN DO IT!!! You are not a slave to Methadone. Blessings:-)
Starbooty33

Posted: August 9, 2017, 10:36 AM
I was on liquid methadone for 5 years.200 mg.and had a baby on it .went to pain management for almost 2 years after being disgusted with the methadone clinic.I broke 10 mg methadone pills into 8 pieces and weened off,then morphine and norco.I've been off since march.. But I can't sleep more than 2 hours a night, my anxiety is through the roof,I have nerve damage in my hands and suffer from ridiculous migraines..where do I go from here?! After being addicted to drugs for 20 years.no opiods but help with other medical problems associated with the methadone withdrawal
Starbooty33

Posted: August 9, 2017, 10:41 AM
Hi..random person..sounds a lot like my world..but I was an addict and now its becoming almost impossible to find a Dr that will help.could I go to pain management for migraines and other issues? Its wrecking my brain right now..😇
C

Posted: September 5, 2017, 3:14 AM
Nobody's posted on here for years !!! Hi it's 2017 NOW !!! I WAS clean off heroin n crack for 5yrs then I went 18month without methadone ... very clean n was loving life going out enjoying myself n life to the full I was even doing Voluntary work with working girls n really enjoyed it did my health n social care n that was me. Then I was living wIth my partner who was also clean 4yrs but he had adult Adhd n that's where alot of the problems started. He was working with addicts too . His life spiralled down hill and I tried to pull him back out n I fell flat on my face after all that time clean . I lost him to crack n tried my hardest to stop him but then ended up dabbling in heroin with him but not crack. Eventually it all just got too much and we had to part even though I loved him very much he's now in prison n off methadone n im reducing very slowly I've done it once n I can do it again ...unfortunately we're not together anymore but this is the devastating effect drugs can have on our lifes . N we need to understand this can happen so quickly when your buzzing off a life without drugs but it can grab u back soo quickly. Im just grateful we're both still alive n getting clean . Thanx all n chins up u can do it I've done it once n about to do it again xx
C

Posted: September 5, 2017, 4:04 AM
Sorry there was no posts showing for 2017 when I've just posted this now n all of a sudden the posts are now showing for 2017.... after posting lol 😏
GrayMan

Posted: September 13, 2017, 9:06 PM
How is everyone doing today? I'm 32 and I've been on benzo and methadone since 2007. Now I'm two months clean on the benzos and difference I feel is huge. I'm still on 50mg of md a day but in the process of tapering down at a clinic. I'm feeling really optimistic and can't wait to completely free myself from all of this and get my life back. Ps it's empowering reading and sharing stories.
Random person

Posted: October 28, 2017, 12:34 AM
Hey Grayman how are you doing? Don't know if you still check out this site but I totally agree about sharing our stories and how it empowers us! We need support both for our successes and our failures! We need to know we're not alone in this! I hope this finds you well. Take care and best of luck!

Posted: November 1, 2017, 10:35 PM
Grayman you can get off methadone, I did and been off now for over 2 years. It is great not having to go to the clinic. It was a struggle for a bit but if your going to taper down start an excersise program ASAP, your body and brain need the excessive. Also drink lots of water and eat good healthy food!
Gearhead

Posted: November 24, 2017, 1:29 PM
I will try to keep this brief. I took 200mg a day for 8 years. = 8 years of clean U.A. After 8 years I dropped down to 35mg in a matter of months and went Cold Turkey. Done right? Not really.. I did alot to prepare for coming off of the methadone maintenance program. But in the end, fully understood how It was like a dog with a collar. Like any good treatment for abuse, you get out of it what you put into it. So I made sure to apply what I knew from the programs. (AA/NA)
I understood that stopping was the easy part, Living in Hell for 3 months.. The real work would be when i looked in the mirror and tried to wrap my head around this. Somewhere along the way I heard it say that it would take a long time to feel normal again.
Cold Turkey started 1/2013 and this is almost 5 years later. Am I perfect? No. But who is? Do I feel human again? (I like to think so) After 1/2013 I left my family to heal myself. And now I am ready to go back to them but found out that they may not have healed from the damage done in the past..
It is really a pretty sad story, but life goes on. It gets better.
There is no quick fix for the first 3 months.. I think i may have taken Benydryl and ate alot of chocolate. My wife left me like a Dog on the floor and didn't want to be bothered. Who can blame her. She was getting restitution for things I did in the past. Right? Anyways, good luck. Take it a Min/Hour/Day/Month/Year at a time. It all adds up. Just remember, where ever you go? There You are. Plan ahead and rebuild (Mind-Body and Soul). I would like to think there are alot of people out there with alot more clean time than I, And I think they are just silent about it. Because in the end, Addiction is just something that may or may not happen in this lifetime. After so many years being clean and sober, I just don't want anything to do with any of it.
JodiMarie143

Posted: August 2, 2018, 9:56 AM
My story starts as probably many others does...had a medical issue since I was 15, (I'm now 42), 17 survived later and many many opiates being prescribed, I ended up on heroin. I was a single mom raising my son to best of my ability and that required me to NOT be sick AKA withdraw! Long story short this went on for a few years until my son's father whom wasn't really around, hence the reason I was a single mom, went to prison. My son looked at me that day and said " Mommy, what happens to me if something happens to you now that daddy is in prison?" THAT'S ALL IT TOOK FOLKS!! That day I was calling methadone clinics! I had stopped using heroin 3 days later which was day 1 of the clinic. I was up to 145mgs my "blocking dose" as they call it. What do I call it I called it me still trying to catch that high until I realized no matter how high I went it wasn't gonna happen! And that's when I really became serious about my recovery. I was being prescribed benzos and Adderall (which alot of people in the clinics are)! And they were ok with it. I did the coordination of care between my doc and the clinic but thought to myself if I REALLY am going to recover I need to be off everything. So I stopped all my meds I took 30 days to taper off my last script (NEVER STOP BENZOS COLD TURKEY!!) And from that point on I worked on getting my life back in so we sort of "normal" order! 4 years later I re-met the man of my dreams, he moved me and my son down South and it was then that I realized I was ready to come off the methadone. I forgot to mention before I moved I had taken 15 mgs off the top at once then started a 2mg a week SLOW taper until the nurses decided for me I should put it on hold and wait to restart my taper. So here's the thing... When u constantly have someone asking u "are u feeling ok .. Any withdrawal symptoms?" U start questioning urself..."am I ok? I had an upset stomach yesterday I thought maybe it was what I ate the night before but maybe it is withdrawal.... Let the patient tell the clinic they need to stop their taper otherwise we question ourselves!! Anyways when I moved South I was down to 90mgs at which time I transferred to a clinic down here who had the cherry methadone versus the clear I was getting in the North East....same stuff right?! Well I know it is but for whatever reason it sedated the hell outta me! So I instantly started a 5mg a week taper. I was going to stop at 50mgs and reevaluate myself but I felt fine and kept going! Yest was my last dose of 5mgs...4years later. I know it's only been a day but my entire taper I felt only good things happening to my body. I can feel again... Emotionally, physically...u name it i can feel it. Yes it's scary but I'm ready...4years is a long time for something that only should've been offered for a Max of a year. After a few wks on methadone ur no longer withdrawing from heroin or opiates! I get everyone is different! If u have a positive outlook and ready urself...no I don't do meetings I just have a very supportive fiancee and my 14 year old son and family up North. You can do it too you just need to want it and make that change no matter how scary...u won't know till u try and keep doing what ur doing and ur gonna keep getting what u get. Only YOU can change ur life around!
I hope this helps with anyone's worries about coming off methadone. YOU GOT THIS AND GOOD LUCK! 💜
clarkkent

Posted: August 14, 2018, 11:55 AM
i will be 64 years old shortly. i was on methadone maint for 30 years. it was very hard juggling a steady job,wife & kids and the clinic but i did it. as you can imagine going to the clinic got old and tiresome so i decided to go to a 30 day in patient rehab to kick. after rehab i was a born again good citizen for a few months before i started buying methadone on the street which depressed the he!! out of me. i got on a group therapy type place which wasn't helping until one of the shrinks suggested suboxone which i readily agreed to. as i didn't have a habit on the methadone i was buying on the black market switching over to suboxone wasn't difficult at all. it's been about 6 years and i'm living the clean life and it's good. the only fly in the ointment is i recently retired from the dept of correction and now having to report to my group sessions once a week and my suboxone doctor once a month is preventing me from fully enjoying my retirement. i have a vacation home in florida but live in nyc. i need to find a doctor who will give me a few refills or have a dr in nyc and another in fl. other than this life is good!
post replypost new topic